The Student Room Group

Why is it a bad thing for a girl to know how HOT she is?

For example, by mentioning compliments you get, taking selfies of your face or just your boobs or legs, knowing/saying you're at least a 7 or 8 out of 10, making sure photos of yourself are from the best angles and deleting "bad" ones, etc.

I hate feminism but "slut shaming" is a form of this too.

People love to call girls "attention seekers" :lol:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
OK, I know this seems odd, but I'll just tell it like it is. If a so-called 'hot' person knows they're hot and tells people they're hot, it makes them unattractive. Even if it's true, most people will assume you to have quite the big ego in order to make such a statement.
Reply 2
Original post by Danz123
OK, I know this seems odd, but I'll just tell it like it is. If a so-called 'hot' person knows they're hot and tells people they're hot, it makes them unattractive. Even if it's true, most people will assume you to have quite the big ego in order to make such a statement.

No that's just men wanting girls to be insecure about themselves so they can be the knight in shining armour when complimenting them :smile: the moment a girl is very comfortable in her body she becomes "unattractive" :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RiotGirll
For example, by mentioning compliments you get, taking selfies of your face or just your boobs or legs, knowing/saying you're at least a 7 or 8 out of 10, making sure photos of yourself are from the best angles and deleting "bad" ones, etc.

Arrogance is a turn off. Saying how hot you are can come across as arrogance. Plus, in my experience the girls that know they're hot turn out to be utter bitches anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by RonnieRJ
No that's just men wanting girls to be insecure about themselves so they can be the knight in shining armour when complimenting them :smile: the moment a girl is very comfortable in her body she becomes "unattractive" :smile: :smile: :smile:

No. You can be comfortable in your body obviously, but this goes for both genders really. However, if someone goes around thinking they're the bees knees and telling people they're so hot, it'll just come off arrogant.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not if it makes her simply confident and comfortable in her own skin, which makes her even more attractive.
It becomes a problem when she becomes too gassed about it (like a lot of girls on Twitter for example haha).
Reply 6
Original post by Danz123

I don't just mean saying "I'm hot" but stuff like being body positive by posting supposedly "revealing" pics on Instagram etc.

RonnieRJ
No that's just men wanting girls to be insecure about themselves so they can be the knight in shining armour when complimenting them the moment a girl is very comfortable in her body she becomes "unattractive"

Exactly! One of the favourite techniques by "pickup artists" is "negging" which involves insulting a girl to try to bring her down like they're socially retarded :rolleyes:

I know it's such a cliche but a lot of guys hate girls who don't rely on them for self-esteem and whatever
Reply 7
Original post by Andy98
Arrogance is a turn off. Saying how hot you are can come across as arrogance. Plus, in my experience the girls that know they're hot turn out to be utter bitches anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well not even just saying it but stuff like posting pictures of your legs on Instagram that shows you're confident.

So people would rather girls who were insecure? :lolwut:

@jedanselemyia how gassed is gassed tho? haha
Reply 8
I don't just mean saying "I'm hot" but stuff like being body positive by posting supposedly "revealing" pics on Instagram etc.

Exactly! One of the favourite techniques by "pickup artists" is "negging" which involves insulting a girl to try to bring her down like they're socially retarded :rolleyes:

I know it's such a cliche but a lot of guys hate girls who don't rely on them for self-esteem and whatever

Oh, then that's absolutely fine. Being confident in your own skin enough to post revealing pics doesn't cross the line into arrogance and is therefore attractive. :tongue:

Why do you say you hate feminism? Stopping slut shaming is 100% something that is part of feminism. Women should be able to recognise they're hot and wear whatever they want in the same way that men do without being called sluts.

Like hell yeah I'll call myself cute and people can deal with it.
Original post by Danz123
No. You can be comfortable in your body obviously, but this goes for both genders really. However, if someone goes around thinking they're the bees knees and telling people they're so hot, it'll just come off arrogant.

Yeah but that's different to what the topic is. A girl who knows she's good looking is just confident, she's not going to walk around telling everyone what she thinks about herself. Liking yourself isn't arrogant lol
Reply 11
Original post by Danz123
Oh, then that's absolutely fine. Being confident in your own skin enough to post revealing pics doesn't cross the line into arrogance and is therefore attractive. :tongue:

What do you think is arrogant then?

Freyjaeve
Why do you say you hate feminism? Stopping slut shaming is 100% something that is part of feminism. Women should be able to recognise they're hot and wear whatever they want in the same way that men do without being called sluts.

Like hell yeah I'll call myself cute and people can deal with it.

Well some feminists hate things like lingerie models etc. who do it out of choice. And a lot of feminists are transphobic like Germaine Greer has been saying stuff about Caitlyn Jenner lately I think.

Also I'm white but a LOT of the feminist community is racist. I can't deal w that
Reply 12
Yeah but that's different to what the topic is. A girl who knows she's good looking is just confident, she's not going to walk around telling everyone what she thinks about herself. Liking yourself isn't arrogant lol

Yeah. IMO repeating what others say to you is not arrogant either. Like I posted on FB/Twitter a compliment some guy gave me on the street and some people started saying I was arrogant. I didn't even post the compliment just that I got "a cool compliment"
Yeah. IMO repeating what others say to you is not arrogant either. Like I posted on FB/Twitter a compliment some guy gave me on the street and some people started saying I was arrogant. I didn't even post the compliment just that I got "a cool compliment"

Yeah exactly people feel uncomfortable when they see someone's who's confident in themselves
Narcissism

She thinks shes too important to make a sandwich
(edited 8 years ago)

Well some feminists hate things like lingerie models etc. who do it out of choice. And a lot of feminists are transphobic like Germaine Greer has been saying stuff about Caitlyn Jenner lately I think.

Also I'm white but a LOT of the feminist community is racist. I can't deal w that

Tbh if people are the former and don't agree with that they're misandrists who call themselves feminists and give us a bad name. People who are transphobic aren't really feminists either, feminism is for ALL women.

I'm white too but I class myself as an intersectional feminist. What you're talking about is "white feminists", the vast minority who only care about the issues of white western women. It's so dumb.

Because its disgustingly narcissistic
Reply 17
Original post by S-man10
Narcissm.

She thinks shes too important to make a sandwich

narcissm
Reply 18
Original post by Freyjaeve
Tbh if people are the former and don't agree with that they're misandrists who call themselves feminists and give us a bad name. People who are transphobic aren't really feminists either, feminism is for ALL women.

I'm white too but I class myself as an intersectional feminist. What you're talking about is "white feminists", the vast minority who only care about the issues of white western women. It's so dumb.

It doesn't seem like a minority to me though no offence. Like I read feminist sites like jezebel sometimes because they do makeup articles and stuff, there is some pretty racist stuff in the comments lol

Betelgeuse-
Because its disgustingly narcissistic

When does it become narcissistic for you and not just confident
Yeah exactly people feel uncomfortable when they see someone's who's confident in themselves

No people very much like confident people.

They do not like egotistical pretentious narcissistic dullards who spend every waking moment wondering which filter is best for their next selfie they upload

Nothing screams confidence than fishing for compliments and posting effectively air brushed pics which took you 40 snaps to get eh

Quick Reply

Latest