The Student Room Group

Why is it a bad thing for a girl to know how HOT she is?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RonnieRJ
Yeah exactly people feel uncomfortable when they see someone's who's confident in themselves

I know. TBF I've known some really hot girls who are like that and then really bitchy to "ugly" girls too but that's different.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
No people very much like confident people.

They do not like egotistical pretentious narcissistic dullards who spend every waking moment wondering which filter is best for their next selfie they upload

Nothing screams confidence than fishing for compliments and posting effectively air brushed pics which took you 40 snaps to get eh

That's different and off topic really?
Posting selfies because you're having a good day and like the way you look and maybe want to show yourself off is ok
Taking 40 shots to find the one you like the most is ok, people get to see it after all

We're talking about people that know they're worth a ton without needing people to tell them that

Original post by RiotGirll
I know. TBF I've known some really hot girls who are like that and then really bitchy to "ugly" girls too but that's different.

Yeah that's different, appreciating yourself is fine as long as you're not purposely downgrading others
Reply 22
No people very much like confident people.

They do not like egotistical pretentious narcissistic dullards who spend every waking moment wondering which filter is best for their next selfie they upload

Nothing screams confidence than fishing for compliments and posting effectively air brushed pics which took you 40 snaps to get eh

What do you think "screams confidence" then

I dont think I'm super hot but I get hated on for just doing things like posting pics of my legs in sexy tights or something lol. Those aren't airbrushed
Yeah but that's different to what the topic is. A girl who knows she's good looking is just confident, she's not going to walk around telling everyone what she thinks about herself. Liking yourself isn't arrogant lol

Ah well you'd be surprised, some girls do literally talk about how hot they are or how no guy would turn them down, at least in my experience. :lol:

Nevertheless, you're right, liking yourself isn't automatically arrogant. But most people should be honest rather than going in either extreme really (like thinking you're so unattractive or thinking you're really hot). In general, people have bad days and good days. Only posting the best selfies as the OP states is understandable of course, but in real life talking about how you feel comfortable in your body but have good and bad days like everyone else would come across sincere and not arrogant at all. :smile:
What do you think is arrogant then?

What do I think is arrogant? Any behaviour or statement one says which comes across as them thinking they're better than other people really. For example, someone I knew from uni talking about how no guy would turn her down and who literally told me she's "the best girl you'll get". It's pretty much the trait I hate the most in people. However, being comfortable in your own skin isn't arrogant. :smile:
Sorry for asking this but you made another post about "slut" before is this something that has happened to you?
Original post by Danz123
OK, I know this seems odd, but I'll just tell it like it is. If a so-called 'hot' person knows they're hot and tells people they're hot, it makes them unattractive. Even if it's true, most people will assume you to have quite the big ego in order to make such a statement.

I completely agree!

No that's just men wanting girls to be insecure about themselves so they can be the knight in shining armour when complimenting them the moment a girl is very comfortable in her body she becomes "unattractive"

I completely disagree! It's not just men that feel that way, I feel that way too. If this is true then I'm being a 'knight'. :rolleyes:

The truth of the matter is, some people look for more down to earth people. It's not about being insecure, it's about not being arrogant and narcissistic. If a guy on instagram had 100+ pictures of himself I'm going to get the impression he is narcissistic and arrogant and thus makes him look quite unattractive. You can be body confident without posting a million pictures of yourself day.

Attractiveness if different to everybody, but I don't find arrogance attractive. I find being happy and confident enough to put your appearance to the side and focusing on your hobbies or passions in life, the other details in life, is far more attractive!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
Arrogance is a turn off. Saying how hot you are can come across as arrogance. Plus, in my experience the girls that know they're hot turn out to be utter bitches anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it arrogant to simply acknowledge you're good-looking? Society has some pretty bad double standards, it's fine to call yourself ugly and indulge in self-deprecation, but the second you're like "I'm hot" it's like "you're an arrogant dickhead, get your head out of your arse!"

So yeah, there's a difference between acknowledging you're good-looking and rubbing it in someone's face by making them feel bad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Why is it arrogant to simply acknowledge you're good-looking? Society has some pretty bad double standards, it's fine to call yourself ugly and indulge in self-deprecation, but the second you're like "I'm hot" it's like "you're an arrogant dickhead, get your head out of your arse!"

So yeah, there's a difference between acknowledging you're good-looking and rubbing it in someone's face by making them feel bad.

There's some truth to this statement, however alot of the time people who are very insecure and rag on themselves in front of others are fishing for compliments. That can be as annoying as arrogance tbh. Though it seems in general we do feel bad and like to boost people up when they self-deprecate, as well as take people down a peg when they talk about how hot they are. I've seen it on this forum and irl plenty of times.
What do you think "screams confidence" then

I dont think I'm super hot but I get hated on for just doing things like posting pics of my legs in sexy tights or something lol. Those aren't airbrushed

Not all that post are doing so are not confident. Yeah you get hated on because you are fishing for compliments / likes lol
For example, by mentioning compliments you get, taking selfies of your face or just your boobs or legs, knowing/saying you're at least a 7 or 8 out of 10, making sure photos of yourself are from the best angles and deleting "bad" ones, etc.

I hate feminism but "slut shaming" is a form of this too.

People love to call girls "attention seekers" :lol:

It depends on the person, you obviously can't generalise how every woman would react to knowing she was attractive, but in my experience, it can just make it harder to take 'it' somewhere with a woman because they have that confidence, which isn't a bad thing if you are patient..
Reply 31
Original post by david_94
It depends on the person, you obviously can't generalise how every woman would react to knowing she was attractive, but in my experience, it can just make it harder to take 'it' somewhere with a woman because they have that confidence, which isn't a bad thing if you are patient..

So some schmoes dislike confident women because they prefer girls with low self esteem who might be more likely to put out.

Lol.
Look its simple. Its great if you think you are attracive / sexy. Nobody will hate you for it. There is no problem with thinking you have an amazing arse or are good looking.

What people don't like is:

1) Arrogance - thinking you are gods gift and every man / woman / mere mortal arent worthy of you
2) Attention whoring / fishing for compliments
3) Posting hundreds of pointless uninteresting photos of just yourself because you are a narcissist who get off on point number 2

This goes for both genders ldo
No that's just men wanting girls to be insecure about themselves so they can be the knight in shining armour when complimenting them :smile: the moment a girl is very comfortable in her body she becomes "unattractive" :smile: :smile: :smile:

very true
Reply 34
Well not even just saying it but stuff like posting pictures of your legs on Instagram that shows you're confident.

So people would rather girls who were insecure? :lolwut:

@jedanselemyia how gassed is gassed tho? haha

Confidence is fine, a turn on. It's when you become arrogant because of it that it gets annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile
For example, by mentioning compliments you get, taking selfies of your face or just your boobs or legs, knowing/saying you're at least a 7 or 8 out of 10, making sure photos of yourself are from the best angles and deleting "bad" ones, etc.

I hate feminism but "slut shaming" is a form of this too.

People love to call girls "attention seekers" :lol:

because on this forum it is considered to be unbelievable and unfair to the self loathing insecure narcissism pervading this place that a person has confidence in themselves and thier appearance.

No that's just men wanting girls to be insecure about themselves so they can be the knight in shining armour when complimenting them :smile: the moment a girl is very comfortable in her body she becomes "unattractive" :smile: :smile: :smile:

DING DONG!!!! we have a nail on the head winner
So some schmoes dislike confident women because they prefer girls with low self esteem who might be more likely to put out.

Lol.

I'd say so, it's not how I think, but in the context of the question, I don't see why else men would have a problem with confident women. Have you had men have an issue with your confidence?

Personally I find confident women attractive, they tend to be more clear on what they want, and I don't think anyone should need reassurances on how they look, even though a lot of people do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Look its simple. Its great if you think you are attracive / sexy. Nobody will hate you for it. There is no problem with thinking you have an amazing arse or are good looking.

What people don't like is:

1) Arrogance - thinking you are gods gift and every man / woman / mere mortal arent worthy of you
2) Attention whoring / fishing for compliments
3) Posting hundreds of pointless uninteresting photos of just yourself because you are a narcissist who get off on point number 2

This goes for both genders ldo

Couldn't put it better myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't find confidence or even arrogance unattractive, but there is something endearing, almost ethereal about someone who doesn't quite know how great they are. Someone who is good looking and knows they are good looking and wears it can be put on a scoreboard and measured up against any celebrity or model, whereas someone who doesn't know, you don't quite understand them and it throws you.

That's special.

@jedanselemyia how gassed is gassed tho? haha

Looooool when the girl (guy even) keeps retweeting retweets of people saying "omg you're so gorgeous", "i feel blessed by watching this pic" etc :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest