The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

My favourite pro veganism quotation!

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I know, it's pretty bad. I don't eat much of anything and what I do eat is hardly any good, but I'm easily a lot better than I was before so you can imagine how catastrophic things were a year or so ago.

You drink a lot of tea; I've only had it once and it didn't taste very nice. Everyone around me seems to be addicted to tea and coffee, and when I tell them I didn't drink either, they look at me like I'm some sort of alien. I tried almond milk once! It tasted like paint...I do want to try green tea at some point; I've been told that it's bitter but very good for you. Is that true?
I used to have very sugary cereals for breakfast but now I just have Weetabix and leave it at that. It's not a huge improvement but still. I sometimes have porridge in the winter because it's nice to fill up on something warm.

Well, maybe I don't get through a whole bag of peanuts, that's a bit ambitious, but I do eat at least half, which isn't too good either, I guess. They're not salted or anything like that, which has to be plus.
I know you're going to scold me for saying this, but I tend to skip lunch for convenience on most days. At college, I spend all day in a computer room and food isn't allowed around the keyboards, which are probably crawling with bacteria. I really don't like visiting the cafeteria because of the crowds and, judging by what my classmates eat, it's worse than a lot of takeaway places. (However, I do strongly suspect that they sneak out to McDonalds or something like that, which I can't understand because McDonalds is disgusting).

Are rich tea biscuits free of animal products? I had no idea... I rarely have digestives; after having them for a long time, I grew fed up with them. Now I have the occasional bourbon.

I don't eat curry... (Reading these messages is making me question what the hell it is that I'm living on). My parents order curry often and they offer me naan bread but I turn it down. Chappatis seems to be something similar.

I stopped eating crisps when I had my braces put on, which was two or three years ago, and I've never gone back. Fizzy drinks like Cola and Fanta burn my throat so I avoid them as well.Chocolate is the main problem; I'm addicted to it and I'm not disciplined enough to break the cycle. Recently I've been drinking water whenever I get the urge to eat biscuits or chocolate, in hope that it'll fill the gap and I won't be hungry or "fanciful" anymore.

Oh gawd, I don't like Chinese or baked beans or tomatoes... I'm not sure what it is that I'm actually eating at this point. Seeded brown bread is nice though; I quite enjoy that.

I know I need to learn to cook at some point before I move out...but when I get home from college at 7 and have a shower, it's nearly 8 and truthfully I don't want to cook anything... I don't even know how to make a cup of tea or coffee; I never bothered because I didn't see the point in learning to make something I didn't drink. Now part of me actually wants to learn so that I can make it for guests. (This is shameful but I'm going to tell you anyway; I didn't know which knife to use to cut cheese. My friend wanted me to make her a sandwich and she laughed when I picked up a butter knife...)

At least now I know where your username comes from. I respect your decision to go rock climbing; such a hobby would be far too scary and dangerous for me.

Haha! My friend went on a diet once and every day was a "cheat day" for her, unless I stepped in. Actually, perhaps you can help me out with her? Keep in mind that I've almost lost her once before and I can't bear the thought of that happening again. She's quite overweight and very self-conscious about her image. It effects her health and her confidence, though she tries hard not to show it. I visit her sometimes for dinner and her family orders takeaway very often; kebabs, curry, you name it. Their portions are huge and I can't even make a dent in what they serve me; I'm like a twig compared to them.My friend tells me she wants to slim down but her parents don't support her like they should; they've raised her on big meals and continue to do so.
It's painful for me because she'll tell me how upset she is and how badly she wants to change, only to order two burgers the next day. I don't want to hurt her feelings but, at the same time, I don't want her to go down this slippery slope.Should I say or do anything? Or should I just keep encouraging her and hope for the best? She'll never be vegan or vegetarian, or even pescetarian, but she's like my sister and I want her to be happy. :frown:

The layout of your message is fine and I know what you're trying to say. I appreciate it. :smile:I'm going out today so I'm definitely going to look for a smoothie maker. Are there any really nice combinations of fruit and veg?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 202
Original post by redferry
Well you clearly are terrible with your money :tongue:

More like 30 pills for a tenner!? If that...

I currently have a years supply courtesy of the NHS but the Dr said its important I top it up with diet. You

It's because I have certain carb/protein/fat requirements. I eat 500g of chicken breast in two days, that's £5 already. Then things like vegetables (tenderstem broccoli is £2 a pack?!!, that lasts one day!), it just really adds up. I don't like cheap ingredients, such as 30p for a 1kg bag of pasta. If I do eat pasta, which is rare, I will ensure it's the high quality stuff, which has a much nicer, rougher texture. Duck is £7 for about 300g, and I eat lots of sirloin/fillet steak. I am a student, but food is one of life's greatest pleasures. I'm not spending my younger years surviving off a can of baked beans and some pasta.

So where I can, I'll make sure everything is as fresh as possible, without being ridiculous. (Tescos do 'organic' chicken breast at about 250g, for £9, that's outrageous!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healthy-Origins-5000-Vitamin-Liquid/dp/B00PLQ6KWA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1445956491&sr=8-7&keywords=vitamin+d3

I'm pretty sure I paid like £8, but £13 for 360 capsules (the capsules come in oil so you don't have to eat it with a source of fat). Where are you getting your D3 from?! :P
Reply 203
How tall are you? Are you male?
Reply 204
Yes, because you are a rock climber. Every climber I know is like that. They have ridiculous grip strength, they are great at pull ups. Bodyweight exercises are easier for lighter individuals. Just look at people like Frank Medrano, I'm sure you've heard of him, he's a vegan. He's strong, but compare him to a Chinese Olympic lifter of the same weight...lol. But even the climbers I know are much heavier than you, they sit at around 65 - 70kg. You are very underweight my friend.

I know guys that can deadlift 300kg, bench 180kg, squat 270kg, and they would struggle with 10 pull ups added with 20kg. Because they have bodyweights of 100kg+. It would be silly to call them weak.

I'm not saying you are weak, but other than pull ups, how strong are you on other exercises? Such as, for example, squat, deadlift, bench. I'm guessing you don't do them, huh?
Reply 205
Ironically, it's the vegans that are usually the most ripped with their ridiculous body fat %.

If the gym is boring, that's your opinion. There are few examples of vegan strength athletes and bodybuilders.

The athletes that hit the highest numbers are very, very rarely vegans across the weight classes. This goes for most sports. Ofcourse, vegan strength athletes/bodybuilders will most likely be on enough drugs to kill an elephant, same with their non-vegan counterparts.

Vegan diets are not ideal for sports at a professional level. If they were, the science would be there, and all our athletes would be on vegan diets. I would love to see a professional endurance athlete such as a rower or cyclist on a vegan diet win a gold medal. 5000 calories of pure veg/fruit/legumes/nuts etc.
That's serious toilet time.
Reply 206
My gym membership is £15 a month with access to a brand new customisable indoor climbing wall. Go me ^_^
Reply 207
Uni gym, student discount. They also allow non uni members to go there which is really annoying as the gym is crowded.
Original post by JD1lla
Ironically, it's the vegans that are usually the most ripped with their ridiculous body fat %.

If the gym is boring, that's your opinion. There are few examples of vegan strength athletes and bodybuilders.

The athletes that hit the highest numbers are very, very rarely vegans across the weight classes. This goes for most sports. Ofcourse, vegan strength athletes/bodybuilders will most likely be on enough drugs to kill an elephant, same with their non-vegan counterparts.

Vegan diets are not ideal for sports at a professional level. If they were, the science would be there, and all our athletes would be on vegan diets. I would love to see a professional endurance athlete such as a rower or cyclist on a vegan diet win a gold medal. 5000 calories of pure veg/fruit/legumes/nuts etc.
That's serious toilet time.

This NFL defensive linesman is an interesting case:

https://instagram.com/the300poundvegan/

I think he only went vegan around 6 months ago, so it'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up for longer. His career pretty much depends on his size and strength so if it's not working there's no way he'll stick to it. But it seems to be going well so far.
Reply 209
Original post by e aí rapaz
This NFL defensive linesman is an interesting case:

https://instagram.com/the300poundvegan/

I think he only went vegan around 6 months ago, so it'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up for longer. His career pretty much depends on his size and strength so if it's not working there's no way he'll stick to it. But it seems to be going well so far.

NFL lol. drugs man...drugs..
Reply 210
i still don't get why you think it's okay for animals to eat other animals but not for humans to eat animals, BECAUSE you said we're all equals?

What would domestic cats/dogs eat?
Original post by JD1lla
NFL lol. drugs man...drugs..

My response was to this:

JD1lla
Vegan diets are not ideal for sports at a professional level

I was giving you an example of a strong vegan professional athlete. He's on the same playing field as all the other NFL players regarding PED use, so that's kind of irrelevant.
Interesting quote, I have been vegan for 5 years now, and that's my choice, but I've just never thought that people who eat meat are just as bad as rapists, murders and paedophiles, I mean to eat meat is someone's choice, right? just as it is our choice not to.
Reply 213
My response was to this:

I was giving you an example of a strong vegan professional athlete. He's on the same playing field as all the other NFL players regarding PED use, so that's kind of irrelevant.

It's an anomaly. You get people like that. Carl Lewis for example. If you were to come to me and say, hey, look, the All Blacks are all vegans, then I'd reconsider. You get athletes that do all kinds of things and are still successful, anomalies.
Original post by JD1lla
It's an anomaly. You get people like that. Carl Lewis for example. If you were to come to me and say, hey, look, the All Blacks are all vegans, then I'd reconsider. You get athletes that do all kinds of things and are still successful, anomalies.

I dunno. I think that's fairly difficult to prove, since most athletes aren't inclined to become vegans, so there aren't many of them.

I wouldn't say it's an anomaly for a vegan athlete to be successful, it's just an anomaly for a successful athlete to be a vegan. A small but significant difference.
Reply 215
I dunno. I think that's fairly difficult to prove, since most athletes aren't inclined to become vegans, so there aren't many of them.

I wouldn't say it's an anomaly for a vegan athlete to be successful, it's just an anomaly for a successful athlete to be a vegan. A small but significant difference.

No,

athletes do everything to get that 0.1% improvement in what they do. Anything to make any improvement, now matter how significant it is. There is research and thought that goes behind an athletes diet. If a vegan diet was more beneficial, they would be on them.

Have you ever considered why so few of them are inclined to become vegans? Couldn't possibly be because they're told that it's best for their career not to or anything by people that actually know what they're talking about.
Reply 217
I didn't say we need to eat animals to survive. I want to eat meat. You call me a savage, and I wish I was. I wish I could go back to the times when we actually used to have to hunt for our food, TO SURVIVE. Those were the days..
Reply 218
What does any of that have to do with my post?
Reply 219
I don't think humans and animals are equal though. Rock climber thinks humans and ALL ANIMALS including things like coral and parasites are equal. If I was to break a bit of coral or kill some parasites, to him, that is murder, because killing of any animal is as a bad as murder and rape, pedophilia etc.

Latest