The Student Room Group

Bursary & Student Loan?

So there's no more maintenance grants available if you start your course from '16, but they've upped the Student Loans.

I'm just wondering whether as a nursing student you can receive/apply for both the loan and the bursary? Or is it just one or the other?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by 90sChic
So there's no more maintenance grants available if you start your course from '16, but they've upped the Student Loans.

I'm just wondering whether as a nursing student you can receive/apply for both the loan and the bursary? Or is it just one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

I don't believe they ve clearly said what the nhs loan is for next year yet but if it doesn't change it will be the minimum loan they offer (this year it's around £2300) and then whatever your means tested nhs bursary is (up to £400 a month, depends if you ve got dependants )
Original post by 90sChic

Thanks in advance.

I don't believe it will have much affect on Nursing students as they receive additional loans from Student Finance England if they choose to, not a grant. Although the figure itself may change. Claireestelle pretty much summed it up! I wonder if it will go up, though? (the loan from SFE for Nursing students)?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bigsmoke
I don't believe it will have much affect on Nursing students as they receive additional loans from Student Finance England if they choose to, not a grant. Although the figure itself may change. Claireestelle pretty much summed it up! I wonder if it will go up, though? (the loan from SFE for Nursing students)?

We don't receive any additional loans from SFE, the maximum we are eligible to (With ANY circumstances) is roughly £2300 a year. The reason for this is because SFE see fit to give nursing students less because we receive money from the NHS, however this is not always a lot. I only received £3300 per year in support from SFE & NHS combined. The rest had to come from my (very lovely & generous) parents.
Original post by PaediatricStN
We don't receive any additional loans from SFE, the maximum we are eligible to (With ANY circumstances) is roughly £2300 a year. The reason for this is because SFE see fit to give nursing students less because we receive money from the NHS, however this is not always a lot. I only received £3300 per year in support from SFE & NHS combined. The rest had to come from my (very lovely & generous) parents.

That's what I meant; it's a reduced loan from SFE, but a loan nonetheless. So the new scheme of 'no grants' wouldn't be applicable to NHS-based students as like you said, they get an amount from NHS as well.

That's quite low! Are you living at home/commuting whilst at University?
That's what I meant; it's a reduced loan from SFE, but a loan nonetheless. So the new scheme of 'no grants' wouldn't be applicable to NHS-based students as like you said, they get an amount from NHS as well.

That's quite low! Are you living at home/commuting whilst at University?

I'm afraid you did say in your original post that student nurses receive additional loans, (Which is not the case) even if you didn't mean to say that. But lets not fall out over what was probably a bit of miscommunication! :smile:

No, I lived away from home while I was at university (I'm a qualified nurse now) :smile:
Original post by PaediatricStN
I'm afraid you did say in your original post that student nurses receive additional loans, (Which is not the case) even if you didn't mean to say that. But lets not fall out over what was probably a bit of miscommunication! :smile:

No, I lived away from home while I was at university (I'm a qualified nurse now) :smile:

That's great - have you recently qualified? :smile:
That's great - have you recently qualified? :smile:

Yes I officially qualified about 3-4 weeks ago! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending