The Student Room Group
Leeds Arts University
Leeds Arts University
Leeds

Illustration or Animation- Please help me!!

Up until now, I was totally confident that if I were to go to LCA, I would want to study illustration. However, after looking into the Animation degree more thoroughly, I am now at a loss of what to do.

I want to one day go into environmental and background art for animation, and I noticed that on the animation degree, I could try out storyboarding and concept art/design.

If there is anybody here who does illustration/animation, can you please tell me: is the storyboarding/concept art only available to animation students, or would i have chance to pursue those pathways if I were to study illustration?

Thank you!
Isabel
Reply 1
Considering you only want to do storyboards and concept art, do Illustration. Animation requires you to, well, animate. There's nothing stopping you from being a concept artist at the end of your illustration degree.
Leeds Arts University
Leeds Arts University
Leeds
Original post by Luneth
Considering you only want to do storyboards and concept art, do Illustration. Animation requires you to, well, animate. There's nothing stopping you from being a concept artist at the end of your illustration degree.

That's what I originally thought, thank you for the help! :smile:
Original post by isabellouise221b
Up until now, I was totally confident that if I were to go to LCA, I would want to study illustration. However, after looking into the Animation degree more thoroughly, I am now at a loss of what to do.

I want to one day go into environmental and background art for animation, and I noticed that on the animation degree, I could try out storyboarding and concept art/design.

If there is anybody here who does illustration/animation, can you please tell me: is the storyboarding/concept art only available to animation students, or would i have chance to pursue those pathways if I were to study illustration?

Thank you!
Isabel

Hi Isabellouise221b!

I am currently studying animation at Ravensbourne, and I can confirm that we do create a lot of concept art and storyboards. We have several projects each year, and learn a range of new skills in workshops each week. For each project we then create concepts and storyboards about our given narrative. The amount of concepts made can vary depending on the person, as often concepts and storyboards are used to project an idea and help keep everyone on the same page especially for group projects. This is within the pre-production stage of animation. Eventually those ideas will then be put into production leading to some form of animation whether it is 2D or 3D. Then refined and cleaned up in post-production afterwards.

There are also other pathways that use storyboards such as film and motion graphics as a means of finalising an idea for shots that are moving or scenes to be animated.

As Luneth has stated if you are only interested in the storyboard and concept side to animation, and not interested in animating or post production at all I would also recommend illustration as well. This will allow you to concentrate more on refining your concepts, hence building a stronger richer portfolio in your area of focus which is concepts and storyboards. At the same time, all universities and courses are different so make sure you are happy with the structure and breakdown of their course.

Hope this helps!
Jay :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ravensbourne
Hi Isabellouise221b!

I am currently studying animation at Ravensbourne, and I can confirm that we do create a lot of concept art and storyboards. We have several projects each year, and learn a range of new skills in workshops each week. For each project we then create concepts and storyboards about our given narrative. The amount of concepts made can vary depending on the person, as often concepts and storyboards are used to project an idea and help keep everyone on the same page especially for group projects. This is within the pre-production stage of animation. Eventually those ideas will then be put into production leading to some form of animation whether it is 2D or 3D. Then refined and cleaned up in post-production afterwards.

There are also other pathways that use storyboards such as film and motion graphics as a means of finalising an idea for shots that are moving or scenes to be animated.

As Luneth has stated if you are only interested in the storyboard and concept side to animation, and not interested in animating or post production at all I would also recommend illustration as well. This will allow you to concentrate more on refining your concepts, hence building a stronger richer portfolio in your area of focus which is concepts and storyboards. At the same time, all universities and courses are different so make sure you are happy with the structure and breakdown of their course.

Hope this helps!
Jay :biggrin:

Hi Jay! Ravensbourne is actually one of my back ups, so that's really good info!
I emailed the course tutor and i'm going to an open day, but i'm pretty set on illustration now.
Thanks for all the info and help!
Isabel :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest