The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JenniB22
To be classed as independent you need to either be 25 or over or to have supported yourself for 3 years (and be able to prove it), not included receipt of student loans etc during your first degree....

Posted from TSR Mobile

It used to be the case that if your parents had no intention or means to support you then they could provide evidence for those under the age cutoff or had only recently left home to explain the situation. If mortgage/debts/essential living costs takes all of their income with none left over to help a student with food/rent/books etc. I have no idea how successful attempts at this are but could be worth a shot if you're being forced to sign as a dependent when that's really not the case.
Original post by Quilverine
It used to be the case that if your parents had no intention or means to support you then they could provide evidence for those under the age cutoff or had only recently left home to explain the situation. If mortgage/debts/essential living costs takes all of their income with none left over to help a student with food/rent/books etc. I have no idea how successful attempts at this are but could be worth a shot if you're being forced to sign as a dependent when that's really not the case.

No this doesn't apply any more, sadly. You have to be "irredeemably estranged" from both parents if you can't fulfil the other conditions. And you have to have proof of that as well....

Posted from TSR Mobile
The same funding questions get asked every year. It's completely understandable, because there's no real clear explanation on the SFE website (as far as I can tell). Perhaps time for a dedicated (sticky?) thread to put some FAQs and answers in?
Original post by wciselko
So will I receive significantly less because I have been saving up? That is my question.

its based on income not savings. If you are under 25 then it is based on your parents and not your salary.

For example one of my friends dad's was retired but a millionaire and she got full entitlement because he wasn't working (!)
Ok that's helpful. I will be 25 in June, so hopefully I can apply before then!

I think its better to be classed as independent as your salary for the year is assumed to be £0 (due to being at uni) so you get the full loan, unless you are married then sadly it goes on your spouses income (I wasn't married during undergrad and I got assessed at £0, unless you are earning over £20k in interest on your savings - in which case you wouldn't care about funding)
I am working (the first year after graduating) so they would give me significantly less, but obviously I will not have that money when at uni, as I will not be able to work full time :P so it's a bit stupid

I dont know about SFE but NHS bursaries dont consider your income even if you are still working during your degree. Doesnt help with the first year but it does with subsequent years
I am working (the first year after graduating) so they would give me significantly less, but obviously I will not have that money when at uni, as I will not be able to work full time :P so it's a bit stupid

that's what I meant. Because it is your income they count it as zero instead of looking at the year before like they do with parents/spouses. So it doesn't matter how much you earn this year it will be deemed £0, unless you have rental properties or considerable bonds/stocks etc.
Original post by neuronerd
that's what I meant. Because it is your income they count it as zero instead of looking at the year before like they do with parents/spouses. So it doesn't matter how much you earn this year it will be deemed £0, unless you have rental properties or considerable bonds/stocks etc.

Thats good to know, I assumed, but nice to have it confirmed
So UKCAT scores are hopefully being sent on November 3rd...a week tomorrow, how scary!
Original post by HanaGEM
Im with you! The whole UCAS process is evil! Ive not applied before but midwifery is equally competitive, I remember it well :s

All the competitive courses are brutal when you're involved aren't they!

Posted from TSR Mobile
finally i got confirmation email from St.George's University 😀😀😀😀 now game begging for interview. .....
For those who may be unaware if you wish to apply to Swansea GEM with a 2.2 degree and a masters you will need to achieve a merit or distinction in your masters degree.

The pressure to perform is on for me now!
My personal tutor at uni once told me that one of her former students was offered a GEM place at Cambridge but could not provide sufficient proof that she could easily afford all of the course and subsequently the offer was withdrawn. My parents earn little and their and my personal bank statements too show that this GEM course and my living expenses will possibly be the major expenses over the next years, if I get an offer by any of my choices. Have you heard of this issue too, either for Cambridge specifically or for other unis? :frown:
Original post by YeloSweetPotato
My personal tutor at uni once told me that one of her former students was offered a GEM place at Cambridge but could not provide sufficient proof that she could easily afford all of the course and subsequently the offer was withdrawn. My parents earn little and their and my personal bank statements too show that this GEM course and my living expenses will possibly be the major expenses over the next years, if I get an offer by any of my choices. Have you heard of this issue too, either for Cambridge specifically or for other unis? :frown:

Oxford also have this. I can't remember where the threshold is but I had to prove I could afford to live without working. However, my stipend at the time was enough to cover this requirement at £13k a year so with the student loans and bursaries offered to poor students (up to £4500 at Oxford) you should be able to reach the minimum needed. Not sure on the procedure at Cambridge and as far as I'm aware they are the only two that do it.
Original post by neuronerd
Oxford also have this. I can't remember where the threshold is but I had to prove I could afford to live without working. However, my stipend at the time was enough to cover this requirement at £13k a year so with the student loans and bursaries offered to poor students (up to £4500 at Oxford) you should be able to reach the minimum needed. Not sure on the procedure at Cambridge and as far as I'm aware they are the only two that do it.

Thank you, this is quite reassuring to know, because I suddenly had the terrifying suspicion that all unis offering GEM courses may ask for it. :smile:

For Cambridge you have to fill out a 'financial undertaking form' giving them info as to how you can find the estimated (by them) £80k it will cost! This includes:

Fee loan (student finance)
Maintenance loan (student finance)
NHS fee grant
NHS bursay for living costs
NHS bursary for living costs
Family funding
Personal funds
Cambridge bursary (year 1 only)
Other
Original post by NHSFan
For Cambridge you have to fill out a 'financial undertaking form' giving them info as to how you can find the estimated (by them) £80k it will cost! This includes:

Fee loan (student finance)
Maintenance loan (student finance)
NHS fee grant
NHS bursay for living costs
NHS bursary for living costs
Family funding
Personal funds
Cambridge bursary (year 1 only)
Other

Oh OK thanks a lot! Haha, although it is unlikely that I will ever be confronted by this problem, it's good to see this list of "safeguards". As an EU student I am not eligible for the maintenance loan, but I should be for most of the others.
Oh OK thanks a lot! Haha, although it is unlikely that I will ever be confronted by this problem, it's good to see this list of "safeguards". As an EU student I am not eligible for the maintenance loan, but I should be for most of the others.

I'm in the same situation :s-smilie: If I get into the course I would think about private student loan
I'm starting a new job on Monday (2nd). I'm worried about it not being enough notice to get time off, if I get an interview at Cambridge (not likely, but still). Last year they didn't even give 2 weeks notice, I think it was about 1.5 weeks notice.

So nervous about starting work :frown: :s-smilie:
Thank you, this is quite reassuring to know, because I suddenly had the terrifying suspicion that all unis offering GEM courses may ask for it. :smile:

Other unis are more open to students working part time, Cambridge doesn't allow students to work during term time so they need to ensure they aren't going to lose students due to financial circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending