The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any Human Science applicants?
Original post by scblx
I am a PPE applicant. So I would like to ask you some questions if you are okay with it (hope these aren't too many)
Which college are you at? Is it where you originally applied? What was your TSA score and do you think the TSA score is important? I feel like my TSA will go horrible.. How did you prepare?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study at Oriel, but applied to Wadham. I think my TSA overall score was aroun 68 - the TSA score is very important! If you do well in it, not only will you get an interview but you will be in with a good shot for an offer!

I prepared by reading a few books 'Think you can think?', doing practice papers under timed conditions and generally doing as many questions as I possibly could.
Original post by oliverdobbs
Hello, I'm applying for PPE at Exeter College. I'm interested in what you discussed in your interviews/how many interviews you had. Also would you be able to tell us what question you answered in Paper 2 of the TSA and how your approached it? Thank you very much!

I answered the question on trade (should we always trade with countries with repressive regimes or something similar). I'm not entirely sure what I actually wrote, possibly about how morality should come before financial gain. I always approached the essays the same way:
Intro
Point
Point
Address counterpoints
Conclusion.

I had one Politics interview and a joint Philosophy and Economics interview. The politics one was tailored towards my personal statement and a passage I had read beforehand on anarchy. The Philosophy component was based on a piece by Hume, as well as discussing what makes a good argument. My Economics interview talked about a company that made ice-cream and we went through different scenarios and I was asked how one would set prices.

I believe all colleges have different approaches to the interview so try get a few different opinions!
im sitting it too, i wouldnt worry too much just do some practice identifying language patterns etc for section 1, the same(ish) for section 2 and i literally have no idea how to prepare for section 3, ive been going through examples with my classics teacher to prepare me
Original post by aasvogel
I answered the question on trade (should we always trade with countries with repressive regimes or something similar). I'm not entirely sure what I actually wrote, possibly about how morality should come before financial gain. I always approached the essays the same way:
Intro
Point
Point
Address counterpoints
Conclusion.

I had one Politics interview and a joint Philosophy and Economics interview. The politics one was tailored towards my personal statement and a passage I had read beforehand on anarchy. The Philosophy component was based on a piece by Hume, as well as discussing what makes a good argument. My Economics interview talked about a company that made ice-cream and we went through different scenarios and I was asked how one would set prices.

I believe all colleges have different approaches to the interview so try get a few different opinions!

how long before the actual interview were you given the passage to read beforehand?
Original post by aasvogel
I study at Oriel, but applied to Wadham. I think my TSA overall score was aroun 68 - the TSA score is very important! If you do well in it, not only will you get an interview but you will be in with a good shot for an offer!

I prepared by reading a few books 'Think you can think?', doing practice papers under timed conditions and generally doing as many questions as I possibly could.

Thanks for your answer :smile: I really hope that my TSA score will be good, the last times I scored between 66 and 71 in the past papers but they calculate the score a little differently I heard.. Is it right that they take the difficulty of the questions into account?
Did you practise a lot for the essay? I don't know if it will really matter, I heard that they sometimes don't even look at it?
Original post by Pythian
Oh. What do you study?

Oh God. I received an email from their admissions lady acknowledging my application. Lovely place. So excited :biggrin:.

History :smile:

And you're so close to the Pitt River's Museum!! Jel <3
Original post by colourtheory
History :smile:

And you're so close to the Pitt River's Museum!! Jel <3

You're a Worcester person right?
Original post by Eux
You're a Worcester person right?

yass <3
Original post by colourtheory
yass <3

Seem to remember you haha, you and @The_Lonely_Goatherd were the ones that persuaded me to apply there
Original post by HelpMePlease909
what are yournGCSEs / AS / Predictions?

I'm international, Swiss Matura with a 5.66/6.0 achieved until now and predicted (probably not very helpful, sorry :redface:)
Just received a conformation email from LMH! :groovy:Exciting times :biggrin:
Original post by oneflewovertcn
Just received a conformation email from LMH! :groovy:Exciting times :biggrin:

Good college choice :wink: there aren't many of us LMH applicants on here surprisingly :frown: What subject are you applying for? :h:
Original post by tehtarik
Yeah I'm kinda dyingggg. Anyways I just tried a paper I hadn't done before, 2012. It's in the middle of the night over here (11.41pm) so I didn't really do it that properly, and I couldn't be bothered with calculating some stuff woops. Got 28/35 - 8.8 apparently.

I pretty much just roughly calculate everything in my head because I'm really lazy honestly, though towards the end I started to be a little more careful.
:colondollar:

Congrats ahah :biggrin: I wish you the best of luck on the test day!!
Got a confirmation from Jesus college :smile: :smile:
Anyone applied to Mansfield?
Hey all, I was just wondering what Oxford considers under achieving at GCSE - is that like getting less than all A*/A's or ????
also, anyone else applied for CAAH? :smile:
Reply 3837
Original post by Georgiexlouise
Anyone applied to Mansfield?

Me! What subject are you applying for? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does a skype interview decrease your chances ?
Original post by ForeignStudent32
Does a skype interview decrease your chances ?

No, but it's better to travel to Oxford bc you will have a sense what's like to be in the tutorial system.

Latest

Trending

Trending