The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
Really? Is that all you got?

What about the other aspects? Like shaving your hair? Why did you ignore these?

I could go on to say why homosexuality is NOT condemned by St Paul, but I have done numerous times on here and i doubt you'd understand either way. Unless you have the very original test itself, you cannot use these arguments

Im regards to shaving and shellfish and fabric rules it depends on interpretation. Christians hold different view regarding the old covenant. Most support fulfilment theology, which states that Jesus fulfilled the old covenant and the new supersedes it. People who hold such a view create a distinction between the rules of the Old Testament, ceremonial, cleanliness and moral rules. Ceremonial and cleanliness rules are no longer applicable but moral rules remain in place. Hence shellfish okay to eat but homosexual relations are not allowed. Of course it depends on how you interpret the Old Testament condemnation of homosexuality. Even if we assume it talks about relationships between the same sex some argue the restriction is one based on cleanliness/ceremony and not a moral ruling and therefor it no longer applies.

And that is without arguing about what the New Testament says in regards to homosexuality.
Reply 501
There should be a third option that states 'my opinion is irrelevant'. The government should have no say in the regulation of marriage.
Original post by WokSz
There should be a third option that states 'my opinion is irrelevant'. The government should have no say in the regulation of marriage.

Or a 4th that says 'The faithful should have no say in the regulation of marriage.'
Original post by garfeeled
Im regards to shaving and shellfish and fabric rules it depends on interpretation. Christians hold different view regarding the old covenant. Most support fulfilment theology, which states that Jesus fulfilled the old covenant and the new supersedes it. People who hold such a view create a distinction between the rules of the Old Testament, ceremonial, cleanliness and moral rules. Ceremonial and cleanliness rules are no longer applicable but moral rules remain in place. Hence shellfish okay to eat but homosexual relations are not allowed. Of course it depends on how you interpret the Old Testament condemnation of homosexuality. Even if we assume it talks about relationships between the same sex some argue the restriction is one based on cleanliness/ceremony and not a moral ruling and therefor it no longer applies.

And that is without arguing about what the New Testament says in regards to homosexuality.

How is gay sex a moral issue and eating shellfish not, when one makes no difference to non-participants and the other involves killing a creature God created?
Original post by Romula
How is gay sex a moral issue and eating shellfish not, when one makes no difference to non-participants and the other involves killing a creature God created?

Because they like Shellfish and mixed fibers but don't like gays:biggrin:
Original post by BaconandSauce
Because they like Shellfish and mixed fibers but don't like gays:biggrin:

Alert the media. We have SOLVED RELIGION.
Original post by Romula
Alert the media. We have SOLVED RELIGION.

I know right

Cherry picking has always been part of the faithfuls tool box

It's be funny if it didn't have such horrible consequences
Original post by Romula

That would be more a question to ask God. From an intrachristian view point it is in the manner that god banned it, and the whole abdication of the rule, for lack of a better term, in the new testement.
Original post by Skeptique
Bull****! the heterosexuals in the African 'epidemic' are 'intravenous drug users' by virtue of the improperly performed vaccination campaigns that spread HIV in Africa. Besides I wasn't talking about global statistics only UK where gays are 10x more likely to contract HIV/Aids.

Really? Intravenous drug users? Then why have campaigns like ABC (Abstinance, Be faithful and Correct use of Condoms) dramatically reduced the number of cases? None of these behaviour are to do with drug use and in some countries more than halved the number of cases in 10 years.

And that 10 times likihood is false. Gay men in london are 10 times more likely, gay men outside of london have lower instances, gay women have much lower incidences.
to be honest i dont mind , people can do what ever they want , but all religions dont allow same-sex marriage.
Original post by nageen1998
to be honest i dont mind , people can do what ever they want , but all religions dont allow same-sex marriage.

most, if not all, religions dont allow sex before marriage, living with your partner before marriage, cheating, swearing etc...but religious people don't seem to mind these!

You just defeated your own argument. On one hand, you say whatever you do is open to interpretation, on the other whatever you don't like it suddenly certain. The rather common hypocrisy of some Christians I suppose.

How are you sure about the interpretation of homosexuality in the NT? Do you know when the tern was devised and when these were written? Do you know the original word, which is arsenokoites (in Greek) does NOT translate to homosexual directly? Do you know the era that these were written in and how people ran naked, had rituals and had sex during these? How do you know St Paul is referring to all homosexuals and not just those who had what we call devious practices today (ie above - running naked and having sex in rituals?). How do you know his exact words when it's known that the original writings were edited, altered and translation thousands if times?

I'm certain you know anything about the above - don't make qualified statements acting as an expert.
Original post by Nottie
most, if not all, religions dont allow sex before marriage, living with your partner before marriage, cheating, swearing etc...but religious people don't seem to mind these!

I mind them..(please don't attack me I'm just saying I would uphold most of these values). Tbh I don't really care what other people do with their personal lives, how do you feel about it?

Basically, Christians cherry pick. They do it all day long. That's the long and the short of it.
You just defeated your own argument. On one hand, you say whatever you do is open to interpretation, on the other whatever you don't like it suddenly certain. The rather common hypocrisy of some Christians I suppose.

How are you sure about the interpretation of homosexuality in the NT? Do you know when the tern was devised and when these were written? Do you know the original word, which is arsenokoites (in Greek) does NOT translate to homosexual directly? Do you know the era that these were written in and how people ran naked, had rituals and had sex during these? How do you know St Paul is referring to all homosexuals and not just those who had what we call devious practices today (ie above - running naked and having sex in rituals?). How do you know his exact words when it's known that the original writings were edited, altered and translation thousands if times?

I'm certain you know anything about the above - don't make qualified statements acting as an expert.

I have a question, which one has more bearing, the New testament or the Old one?

1 not a Christian,
2 I am gay.
3 I am pro gay marriage

Any who, I am aware of the debate surrounding the new testement statements about homosexuality. I dont claim to be an expert but I am aware of a bit about this stuff. Truthfully I have seen some convincing arguements for a more liberal interpretation of the new testement.
Original post by Nottie

Religious people tolerate this and not encourage it. Religious people tolerate gay people but we don't encourage gay marriage. It's not like they are banning gay people from attending church or mosques. (In the UK)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
"Yes if [homosexuality] is present but not the persons choice then its a sickness" - you can put as many disclaimers on it as you want, but you explicitly called it a sickness.

Yes, to that individual who is suffering from an unwanted sexual attraction; to them it is a sickness. But in another case if the person wishes to be a homo then it is merely a syndrome. Your taking umbrage at what I posted because you thought I meant homosexuality as a global phenomena is a sickness. I did not say that!

To those who have such misfortune to be suffering from this dreadful condition of wanting to be hetero but not being able to be free of same sex attraction they are sick and are in need of a way out - a cure.
Original post by Ariel'sFork
I have a question, which one has more bearing, the New testament or the Old one?

Some denominations consider them equivalent though others disregard the OT on the basis that the NT supersedes it.

1 not a Christian,
2 I am gay.
3 I am pro gay marriage

Any who, I am aware of the debate surrounding the new testement statements about homosexuality. I dont claim to be an expert but I am aware of a bit about this stuff. Truthfully I have seen some convincing arguements for a more liberal interpretation of the new testement.

It doesn't matter mate - this is an open discussion.

Thing is, even if there's a definite interpretation on this, people will still carry on with what they already believe (which is based on the OT, when two Roman emperors started executing homosexuals).
Original post by Gwilym101
Really? Intravenous drug users? Then why have campaigns like ABC (Abstinance, Be faithful and Correct use of Condoms) dramatically reduced the number of cases? None of these behaviour are to do with drug use and in some countries more than halved the number of cases in 10 years.

And that 10 times likihood is false. Gay men in london are 10 times more likely, gay men outside of london have lower instances, gay women have much lower incidences.

Back this garbage up with some links I've never heard of this battyman crap before.

Latest

Trending

Trending