The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

My favourite pro veganism quotation!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by there's too much love
This is disgusting. Putting meat eaters and rapists/pedophiles in the same category. reported.

*Doesn't understand an argument*
*Reports argument in fear of what is not understood*.

ok.
Original post by Evening
Vegans suffer from a sickness of the mind, therefore it is only fitting that they're put down.

What disease? Veganism isn't a disease. It merely rejects the need for animal products in food. It is therefore one of the least harmful lifestyles going.

So someone with depression should be murdered then? Given that it is a sickness of the mind and should be put down, according to your logic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would really appreciate it if you didn't comment on my posts x
or maybe just dont comment on my posts tbh. I love posting but i dont appreciate you quoting me.
Reply 264
Opinion on the medical advancements made because of animal testing?
Wow. You can clearly tell that your opinion on my views have 0 meaning to me which is why I told you not to quote me. We have completely different opinions on this and you are not going to change my mind whether you think im ignorant or not.
Reply 266
Would you use any medicine that has been created as a result of the data collected from animal models? I.e. most of them
Yay vegans :ahee:
Oh whatever. You called me ignorant for calling out an idiot comparing meat eaters to murderers and rapists, you replied me with some ignorant BS and I replied back. So we clearly have different opinions on this so there is no point in preching to me to eat fruits and vegetables for the rest of my life because its not going to happen

enjoy the rest of your evening x
Reply 269
By that logic,

I can't change how my mince meat came to be. It's happened. Nothing I can do to stop that. So I buy it and enjoy it.
I'm a vegetarian.

This is exactly why I'm not friends with vegans - I really don't want to be associated with this kind of outlook. I've never met such arrogant and self-satisfied people as vegans, they even look down on vegetarians as if we're Satan spawn for eating cheese. Get a grip.

There are doctors, carers and scientists working on curing diseases and all sorts of altruistic people who aren't vegan or vegetarian - there are plenty of good people who aren't vegan (likewise there are plenty of bad people who aren't vegan) and there are murderers and rapists who are vegetarian and vegan just as there are good people who are vegetarian and vegan.

Militant vegans are like fundamentalist Christians - just because you think you're morally clean doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't live like you isn't. You're not morally superior because you eat beans and pulses.
Reply 271
I wonder why there is such a large demand for meat? Us savages.

And I wonder why it's required by law.....I wonder where that 'backward' line of thinking stems from.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 272
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I'm a vegetarian.

This is exactly why I'm not friends with vegans - I really don't want to be associated with this kind of outlook. I've never met such arrogant and self-satisfied people as vegans, they even look down on vegetarians as if we're Satan spawn for eating cheese. Get a grip.

There are doctors, carers and scientists working on curing diseases and all sorts of altruistic people who aren't vegan or vegetarian - there are plenty of good people who aren't vegan (likewise there are plenty of bad people who aren't vegan) and there are murderers and rapists who are vegetarian and vegan just as there are good people who are vegetarian and vegan.

Militant vegans are like fundamentalist Christians - just because you think you're morally clean doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't live like you isn't. You're not morally superior because you eat beans and pulses.

Yeah these people are pretty crazy. He implied he would purposely let me drown earlier lol.
Reply 273
Do you put the same amount of effort into humanitarian issues? FGM? Feminism? Poverty? Inequality? The effects of war?

or is it only animal welfare you focus on?
No, it's not a choice I've made. It was never a case of ''from this point on I'm not going to make any vegan friends''. That would be ludicrous. It's that I've never met one who has proven me wrong - they've all been self-righteous and judgmental, so I've not continued our 'friendships' . Who wants to be friends with someone who looks down on everyone because of what they have on their dinner plate?

As for your attack of vegetarianism - I chose it for myself, not for anyone else - so I have no reason to defend it to anyone and I don't try to persuade anyone to be one either.

On that point - Vegetarianism/veganism boils down to your own sense of morality. Nothing on earth is morally wrong. We've created laws based on human moral judgements, but beyond the law, for example, that the murder of other human beings is illegal and punishable, how are you going to prove to me that it's ultimately wrong? That or anything else (including eating meat). There are no such objective principles. Unless you're religious and think they come from God (as in commandments) - but I'm an atheist and don't agree.

Ultimately, nothing is immoral, it's all in your head. I've taken my personal sense of morality so far (vegetarianism) and you've taken yours so far (veganism) but neither of those are benchmarks for an objective standard of morality because there isn't an objective standard of morality. There is no ultimate objective yardstick of morality. So ultimately, no one is superior or inferior, morally speaking. Vegans looking down on meat eaters is laughable because it's meaningless. They're judging other people by their own personal moral standards - which aren't objective and have no authority or jurisdiction.

So when I hear vegans and other vegetarians preaching to people it astounds me because they seem to think they're living to the ultimate standard of morality when one doesn't even exist. Either that or they think they've created it - in which case they think they're God and therefore they're insane.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just because I find those things repulsive doesn't mean that they're is a law written into the universe which instructs humans not to do those things. Just as there is no law written into the universe to tell us not to eat cows. Or do you have evidence to the contrary that you'd like to share with the rest of the human race?

Whether I'd like you to refrain from those things and whether there is a universal law not to do those things are different matters.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
eating their food isn't very kind.

Do you and your family enjoy eating similar food? Then thats like me saying to you "You don't love your family if you eat their food."

But the truth is, you DON'T eat their food because there is enough around for everyone to share :smile:

Same goes here, we might eat the same food as the animals, but thats fine because there's enough for both them and us!

I know you were trying to be smart, but your argument just makes no sense.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
They're judging other people by their own personal moral standards - which aren't objective and have no authority or jurisdiction...So when I hear vegans and other vegetarians preaching to people it astounds me because they seem to think they're living to the ultimate standard of morality when one doesn't even exist.

Firstly, it is of course good that you're a vegetarian.

You're also remarkably consistent for a moral subjectivist: most subjectivists still, illogically, contend that some things are morally wrong, but you go so far as to say that murdering other humans isn't morally wrong either.

I do wonder, though, how you're so certain that objective moral values do not exist. For a strong refutation of this position, I'd recommend the moral philosopher Peter Singer's recent work The Point of View of the Universe.

Here's why I think objective moral values do exist: Every sentient being aims to minimise its own suffering and maximise the satisfaction of its interests. However, there is no rational justification for anyone to assign more importance to their suffering, or their interests, than to anyone else's: their suffering is no less real when they experience it than when you do. Thus, if we are to aim to minimise our suffering, and maximise the satisfaction of our interests which it is impossible not to it logically follows that we are obligated to do the same for others.

Another way to get there is to recognise that suffering is bad for all sentient beings. As Magnus Vinding puts it: suffering and its inherent badness is a fact about consciousness, and this is not a made-up value statement, anymore than the assertion that the moon exists is a made-up value statement and something we could decide to change. We cannot just decide that suffering is not bad.
Morality is derived from emotion, not intelligence.
Original post by viddy9
Firstly, it is of course good that you're a vegetarian.

You're opinion is irrelevant. I'd say the same if you told me I was an idiot for not eating meat.

Original post by viddy9
You're also remarkably consistent for a moral subjectivist: most subjectivists still, illogically, contend that some things are morally wrong, but you go so far as to say that murdering other humans isn't morally wrong either.

I do wonder, though, how you're so certain that objective moral values do not exist. For a strong refutation of this position, I'd recommend the moral philosopher Peter Singer's recent work The Point of View of the Universe.

Here's why I think objective moral values do exist: Every sentient being aims to minimise its own suffering and maximise the satisfaction of its interests. However, there is no rational justification for anyone to assign more importance to their suffering, or their interests, than to anyone else's: their suffering is no less real when they experience it than when you do. Of course there is: self preservation over and above altruism. Every single person on this planet assigns more importance to their own interests and suffering. There are extreme examples which demonstrate the point such as people fleeing disasters and leaving others behind to die in order to save their own lives. But you can see it in your everyday life - people rushing through the street and barging past one another, treading all over each other on the tube, jumping queues etc. People are for themselves before they're for anyone else.

If you set a building on fire you won't see many people stay inside to burn whilst they hold the hands of people trapped. Everyone values their own life above anyone else's - even their closest loved ones. You put them in a life or death situation and see what they do. Humans, like any animal, fight for their own survival.

Latest

Trending

Trending