The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmyPilot
I am in my second year at MMU if you have any questions - I was also offered a place at Uni of Manchester. Can't help with your other choices as I didn't apply for them (I did Leeds and Sheffield).

Hope you're enjoying the course! How were the interview processes? Also, I don't mean to pry, but what made you decide on Manchester Met over University of Manchester, or the other unis you applied for? As I am from the south, and haven't had the chance to visit. Thank you in advance!
Hey guys! Just wondered if anyone could help me, I've just graduated with an english degree with a 2.2 and was looking to apply for a speech and language uni course (bcu and mm idealy) but my a levels are a bit naff... Would I need to undertake an access course or would my degree suffice as it's kind of relevant? All my a levels are art related also so no biology I have a gcse in it however... Really want to be considered but not sure how to go about it and would really appreciate some advice if possible! Many thanks im advance!
Original post by chingling
Hope you're enjoying the course! How were the interview processes? Also, I don't mean to pry, but what made you decide on Manchester Met over University of Manchester, or the other unis you applied for? As I am from the south, and haven't had the chance to visit. Thank you in advance!

I am really enjoying the course - I actually do a joint honours course speech pathology and psychology - unfortunately MMU don't do this option now (we were the last students) as the nhs asked them to do a postgrad option instead. I picked MMU over UoM as I preferred their more practical approach (you get more placement exposure almost from the beginning compared to all other unis I have come across or heard about) - I am very quiet/shy and this is the area I felt I needed more of a push in.

I was quite familiar with UoM as I did a programme with them during year 12 where I had to attend events at the uni throughout the year (including a residential course) and I liked the uni but it did appear to be have a more academic approach in the first year. Also could use it as my insurance as I got a lower offer (BBB) because of my involvement with the programme in year 12.

If exams hadn't gone as well as they did I would not have been too unhappy to go to UoM but now I am at MMU I know I have picked the right place for me. Oh and if you didn't know MMU is based in a brand new facility - the campus only opened in 2014.

I liked Leeds at interview but didn't like Sheffield.

I live in the north west so only looked at northern unis.

Good luck - it's a long application process in front of you :smile:
Reply 63
I'm definitely applying to University of Manchester, City, UEA and still undecided between two of Reading, Birmingham City or Manchester Met. Thank you, hopefully..:u: we can do this!

I'm in my second year at Uni of Manchester so if you have any questions then just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone :smile:

For all you new applicants out there, I have a YouTube channel with videos all about applying for SLT etc.

www.youtube.com/user/felicitysplayonwords

Just uploaded some new videos about personal statements and interviews, so please take a look :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by Bekah_28
I'm applying to Reading and Cardiff Met too! Have you been to see St Mark and St Johns because I haven't yet! :smile:

Yeah i been there. In my opinion it was very nice. Quite a small uni, but lovely :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot
I am really enjoying the course - I actually do a joint honours course speech pathology and psychology - unfortunately MMU don't do this option now (we were the last students) as the nhs asked them to do a postgrad option instead. I picked MMU over UoM as I preferred their more practical approach (you get more placement exposure almost from the beginning compared to all other unis I have come across or heard about) - I am very quiet/shy and this is the area I felt I needed more of a push in.

I was quite familiar with UoM as I did a programme with them during year 12 where I had to attend events at the uni throughout the year (including a residential course) and I liked the uni but it did appear to be have a more academic approach in the first year. Also could use it as my insurance as I got a lower offer (BBB) because of my involvement with the programme in year 12.

If exams hadn't gone as well as they did I would not have been too unhappy to go to UoM but now I am at MMU I know I have picked the right place for me. Oh and if you didn't know MMU is based in a brand new facility - the campus only opened in 2014.

I liked Leeds at interview but didn't like Sheffield.

I live in the north west so only looked at northern unis.

Good luck - it's a long application process in front of you :smile:

Thank you for responding. Yes, placement is a very imortant factor for me too, so thank you for informing me.
It's will be long, but worth it :colondollar:
Hello all,
Just a quick question as to the start dates for 2016.
I am due to go volunteering until early October as I read that most course do not start until then, could anyone advise me as to when their course start date was?
Many thanks!
Reply 68
Original post by catbakerx
Hello all,
Just a quick question as to the start dates for 2016.
I am due to go volunteering until early October as I read that most course do not start until then, could anyone advise me as to when their course start date was?
Many thanks!

I'm at St Mark and St John, and my start date this year for 1st year (i.e. freshers/induction week) was 20th September. My lectures started officially from the 28th September. We did start earlier than some unis, that's for certain! :smile:
Original post by rhimair
I'm at St Mark and St John, and my start date this year for 1st year (i.e. freshers/induction week) was 20th September. My lectures started officially from the 28th September. We did start earlier than some unis, that's for certain! :smile:

Thanks so much for getting back to me! That's been really helpful, just had a ring around and think late September seems around the same time for most unis! On the case to get my dates changed now as I do not want to risk an overlap,Many thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 70
Hi guys, can anyone please explain to me why DMU offer two SLT courses, but one is NHS commissioned and the other is not
Thanks so much for getting back to me! That's been really helpful, just had a ring around and think late September seems around the same time for most unis! On the case to get my dates changed now as I do not want to risk an overlap,Many thanks for your help! :smile:

I'm a BCU 1st year student and our first day was Sunday 20th September. The first week was induction which was sessions over 5 days, including the Sunday. There was an expectation that students would attend all the sessions even though the actual start date was 28th.
Original post by H1998
Hi guys, can anyone please explain to me why DMU offer two SLT courses, but one is NHS commissioned and the other is not

The non NHS funded one appeared in clearing this year - never seen the option before. Presume they feel they have the capacity to teach the course (and want the fees!) so that's why they are offering it (they lifted the cap on number of students this year maybe that has some bearing too) - for the NHS funded course the numbers are set by the NHS - have to say it's a strange one!

MMU start dates were the same week as other people have mentioned (21 Sept ish)
Reply 74
Hey! I'm planning on applying for speech and language therapy this year too! Currently on a gap year because uni this year just didn't suit me at all. I got AAB in my A levels for Biology, Psychology and Chemistry and then an A in English Lit Lang at AS and an A* in a psychology/biology EPQ...that's about it, haha.

REAAAAALLY hoping to study at either UoM or MMU. Where is everyone applying? :smile:
Original post by als-96
Hey! I'm planning on applying for speech and language therapy this year too! Currently on a gap year because uni this year just didn't suit me at all. I got AAB in my A levels for Biology, Psychology and Chemistry and then an A in English Lit Lang at AS and an A* in a psychology/biology EPQ...that's about it, haha.

REAAAAALLY hoping to study at either UoM or MMU. Where is everyone applying? :smile:

Hi - well done on your A2 grades.

Nice to see people finding this thread - it seems very quiet compared to other years. I have to say it kept me sane when I applied :smile:

I am in my second year at MMU if you have any questions. I also had an offer from UoM though my application is a little out of date now as I applied in 2013/2014 cycle. Where else will you apply?

Good luck!
Original post by gscott10
I'm in my second year at Uni of Manchester so if you have any questions then just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya! Thanks for the response. Hope you're enjoying the course, you're halfway there! :biggrin: I just got an interview for Manchester Uni and was wondering what kind of interview did you have, the 'speeding dating' type, panel, group, ect? Also what questions were you asked and how would you prepare for an interview? Sorry for so many questions, but thank you in advance!
Hiya! Thanks for the response. Hope you're enjoying the course, you're halfway there! :biggrin: I just got an interview for Manchester Uni and was wondering what kind of interview did you have, the 'speeding dating' type, panel, group, ect? Also what questions were you asked and how would you prepare for an interview? Sorry for so many questions, but thank you in advance!

Sorry to hijack - if you read last years thread (just after results day) someone got a place at UoM through clearing and I am sure she said they were changing their interview process from this intake (hope I haven't dreamt that lol) - I got an offer from UoM and at that time it was a written interview.

When is your interview - they seem very on the ball this year!

Good luck.
My application hasn't been sent yet, and it probably won't be until January. Kind of stressing about that! That said, I'm only applying to Sheffield this year anyway, and the idea was not to get too stressed about it....That is not working out for me haha!
Hi, I am wanting to do an undergraduate SLT degree course and so far my 2 favourites are Reading and Newcastle, however I am really struggling to choose between them. I was just wondering if there was any advice on what to look for in the course?

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest