The Student Room Group

Maths

Hi.

I'm in Year 11, and am currently prepared for my GCSE'S. Maths is my weakest subject, as I only managed to get a low B at it in Year 10. I wanted to ask, how do revise questions that require application? I mean, on every Maths paper, there's always a question, that you can't learn. The worse thing is they are the most mark heavy? You either don't know them, or don't. Usually, its a matter of applying your knowledge. I'm one of those students who can't do them AT ALL, and panic when seeing them. Can I learn how to tackle these questions?! If so, HOW!
Original post by Ahmed1010
Hi.

I'm in Year 11, and am currently prepared for my GCSE'S. Maths is my weakest subject, as I only managed to get a low B at it in Year 10. I wanted to ask, how do revise questions that require application? I mean, on every Maths paper, there's always a question, that you can't learn. The worse thing is they are the most mark heavy? You either don't know them, or don't. Usually, its a matter of applying your knowledge. I'm one of those students who can't do them AT ALL, and panic when seeing them. Can I learn how to tackle these questions?! If so, HOW!

Practice.

Maybe think about the question, read/underlind key parts, identify the area(s) that it seems to be asking about, think about everything you know about that topic, and think of how to proceed.

Try to do as many questions as you can like that, whether it's through past papers or some other source.
Reply 2
I'd say smash all the other questions and then once you've done them all, focus on the last question, because they are usually difficult, but they get that but more difficult in the actual exam. I got the top grade in AQA further maths GCSE and i couldn't do the final question on one of the standard maths papers (i should have got it, but the point still stands).
I am honestly exactly the same as you in every way. I know it's so frustrating right that a question comes up and there's no set method to follow so I have no idea what to do and always do something daft >.< The only way to get around it is to practice, practice and practice as many questions as possible and you will see a difference straight away :smile: Your brain gets used to the questions I think.
Try to stop revising so much from past papers to learn specific types of questions, and focus on UNDERSTANDING every part of the syllabus. Don't look at maths as if each question can be learnt. That's not why it's taught as a compulsory subject to GCSE. It's taught that way because it's supposed to make you think.

I know it's easier said than done, but when you do a question, forget about plugging something in to a formula. Understand why that formula does what it does, or why this theorem is the way it is. That way, you'll be able to answer a lot more questions.

@RonnieRJ could probably back this up with personal experience
Reply 5
Original post by Student403
Try to stop revising so much from past papers to learn specific types of questions, and focus on UNDERSTANDING every part of the syllabus. Don't look at maths as if each question can be learnt. That's not why it's taught as a compulsory subject to GCSE. It's taught that way because it's supposed to make you think.

I know it's easier said than done, but when you do a question, forget about plugging something in to a formula. Understand why that formula does what it does, or why this theorem is the way it is. That way, you'll be able to answer a lot more questions.

@RonnieRJ could probably back this up with personal experience

That's true I never revised from past papers, especially not for GCSE maths.
Don't listen to people who say past papers are key, I didn't and still came out with A* at GCSE and a high A at AS. It might be worth trying to drop the past questions and read a textbook instead

Quick Reply

Latest