The Student Room Group

Having a relationship with a girl that is deaf

I met this deaf girl at the beginning of the month, she is a flatmate of one of my mates. She asked to come up so she is included as she is new to the town.

I didn't know she deaf at the start so I assumed she was really shy. She wrote on a piece of paper that she couldn't hear and asked if I knew sign language, I don't. Since then I talked to her a lot on facebook and by text so I understand how she feels and when I'm face to face I have to have a written conversation on paper otherwise she very hard to talk to.

She asked if could hang out at mine after a busy night, I was like yeah sure. We watched TV together with subtitles on, when suddenly my phone buzzed to get a text from her saying can she go in my bedroom.

So we ended up having sex together and now she became very attached to me. I think she's not use to people who can hear trying to get know her. For me I don't know how it could work. I can hear perfectly and don't know if it would worth it me learning sign language.

I don't how to go about it really. would like some advice please especially from anyone else who is deaf

Scroll to see replies

That's beyond cute :love:
Reply 2
Why not just approach it as you would any other person and find out about her personality etc rather than base it purely on the fact she is deaf?

No harm in learning a new skill either as you get to know her, makes you more employable even if it doesn't work out between you both.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I met this deaf girl at the beginning of the month, she is a flatmate of one of my mates. She asked to come up so she is included as she is new to the town.

I didn't know she deaf at the start so I assumed she was really shy. She wrote on a piece of paper that she couldn't hear and asked if I knew sign language, I don't. Since then I talked to her a lot on facebook and by text so I understand how she feels and when I'm face to face I have to have a written conversation on paper otherwise she very hard to talk to.

She asked if could hang out at mine after a busy night, I was like yeah sure. We watched TV together with subtitles on, when suddenly my phone buzzed to get a text from her saying can she go in my bedroom.

So we ended up having sex together and now she became very attached to me. I think she's not use to people who can hear trying to get know her. For me I don't know how it could work. I can hear perfectly and don't know if it would worth it me learning sign language.

I don't how to go about it really. would like some advice please especially from anyone else who is deaf

Damn. Write a novel, that's deep. I saw two movies (Babel with Brad Pitt, and then some subtitled film) where the girls were deaf and they are often portrayed as tragically needy because often they're lonely, and it's very sad. I say stick around with her!
Oh my god, learn sign language! so you'll understand her more..sounds really cute, wish you all the luck with your relationship ^^
You should get her to teach you sign language :smile: it'd be so cute and fun!
Reply 6
Wouldn't it be like some amazing rom-com?

Original post by samina_ay
Oh my god, learn sign language! so you'll understand her more..sounds really cute, wish you all the luck with your relationship ^^

Original post by TorpidPhil
That's beyond cute :love:
It sounds so cute ahhh. Defo learn sign language. She's appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Animagus
Wouldn't it be like some amazing rom-com?

Indeed it does
Reply 9
Everyone needs sex. What's wrong with you actually?
Omg I loved that post, didn't know TSR could be so romantic :lovehug:

I felt like I was watching one of those romantic movies I used to watch when I was 13...:biggrin:
Original post by dhr90
Why not just approach it as you would any other person and find out about her personality etc rather than base it purely on the fact she is deaf?

No harm in learning a new skill either as you get to know her, makes you more employable even if it doesn't work out between you both.

That's such a TSR thing to say it made me laugh.

But yeah do it OP :smile:
Reply 12
Lol, the part where she texted you to go to her bedroom made me laugh :tongue:
This would make for a rom com for sure.

But that doesn't mean it's necessarily what you should do. It would take so much of your time and a susbtantial amount of effort. Cut your losses. Most girls don't need nearly as much effort
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
This would make for a rom com for sure.

But that doesn't mean it's necessarily what you should do. It would take so much of your time and a susbtantial amount of effort. Cut your losses. Most girls don't need nearly as much effort

Why?
Original post by OU Student
Why?

Why what?
Reply 16
Original post by Alba2013
That's such a TSR thing to say it made me laugh.

But yeah do it OP :smile:

I clearly spend too much time on here! :getmecoat:
Reply 17
I responded with advice and some links but unfortunately the post was declined, they haven't given any reason as to why and I'm hesitant to repost again just in case I break a rule and get a strike or something....
Original post by Anonymous

You should be using all your free time to learning sign language, then you could communicate with one another
I have been learning sign language for about a month through college, as an enrichment, and i've found it really easy to pick up. I'm not a person who is good at languages, dropped French as soon as I could, only got a C in English. So if you put in the effort you could easily learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending