The Student Room Group

chem engineering? HELP

wat is chem eng about? how hard is it? and would you recommend it to me
Are you planning on applying this year? If you are and have no clue at this point I'd probably not recommend you..
Reply 2
Original post by ememoville
Are you planning on applying this year? If you are and have no clue at this point I'd probably not recommend you..

Well i know more then it might come across? but i am worried about how hard it is?
Original post by blessed107
Well i know more then it might come across? but i am worried about how hard it is?

Its competitive because it has the highest starting graduate salary - and I've heard its difficult but so is all STEM degrees

I'm in second year Chem Eng at Queen's Belfast. The workload is very intense, but it is manageable if you keep on top of it, and the career prospects at the end of the degree are great
Reply 5
Original post by Jonny360
I'm in second year Chem Eng at Queen's Belfast. The workload is very intense, but it is manageable if you keep on top of it, and the career prospects at the end of the degree are great

my onnly question is that is there a lot of physics in the course? i hate physics but i am really goood at chem and maths
my onnly question is that is there a lot of physics in the course? i hate physics but i am really goood at chem and maths

I did physics at A-level. Besides a part of one module that dealt with units (e.g. converting Newtons into SI units etc) there is no physics, at least none that I can remember off the top off my head. The course is VERY maths intensive, specifically there are lots of differentials, integrals and matrices. There is a lot of differentiation especially as you will look at many processes with respect to time e.g. fluid flow, heat transfer etc.

The Chemistry is fairly basic so if you're good at that at A-level then you'll have no problem. I would say the math is the hardest part of the course.
Reply 7
I did physics at A-level. Besides a part of one module that dealt with units (e.g. converting Newtons into SI units etc) there is no physics, at least none that I can remember off the top off my head. The course is VERY maths intensive, specifically there are lots of differentials, integrals and matrices. There is a lot of differentiation especially as you will look at many processes with respect to time e.g. fluid flow, heat transfer etc.

The Chemistry is fairly basic so if you're good at that at A-level then you'll have no problem. I would say the math is the hardest part of the course.

thanks for the information. my last question is that can i go into management after the course or do i have to become like a process engineer
thanks for the information. my last question is that can i go into management after the course or do i have to become like a process engineer

Sorry, I don't know. I plan to do the MEng and then go into the oil or gas industry which has the highest pay.
Reply 9

and does it matter what uni i go to get my chem eng degree
Reply 10
Sorry, I don't know. I plan to do the MEng and then go into the oil or gas industry which has the highest pay.

what are your plans after that? and what do majority of the graduate tend to do after that ?
first year chem eng here
and does it matter what uni i go to get my chem eng degree

I imagine you'd want an accredited one. I dunno about you, but I'd prefer a Russel Group uni too. QUB is both and one of the best Chem Eng Uni's in the UK so I'm fairly happy with my choice. I think 'Chemical Engineering' was actually invented here.

https://www.icheme.org/membership/accreditation/universities.aspx
Reply 13
Original post by Proxenus
first year chem eng here

what can i expect when i start? and would you recommend me it?
what can i expect when i start? and would you recommend me it?

sex drugs and weed.

I also don't know shantung about you so cant answer

Quick Reply

Latest