The Student Room Group

Will employers look down on me because I took the Btec route to University?

I am interested in a career in finance - asset management to be more specific.

I did a BTEC National Diploma in Business and am currently a second year student at a Top 30 University (closer to 30 than 15).
My aim it to do a Masters at a Top five University after graduating with hopefully a 1st class degree.

When applying for internships at banks/Big Four etc. will I be at disadvantage?
I do have 360 UCAS points, nonetheless surely a person who has three As in Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics will be in a better position, right?

My question will my CV immediately be thrown to the bin if they see BTEC or could a Masters from say LSE provide me with AT LEAST an interview?

Any contribution is appreciated.

PS. I never wanted to do this BTEC, but I will have to do the best out of this situation, I guess.
What uni are you at now? They'll take that into account as well
Reply 2
Original post by Harriett071
What uni are you at now? They'll take that into account as well

Bristol.
You did a btec and got into Bristol? The tussle group one? That's amazing, you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Dave9520

I don't think you'll have a problem. I've seen some applications that take into account UCAS points, but they only stipulate the amount of points you need rather that how you got them. Employers will generally be a lot more interested in your most recent qualification - i.e., your degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Harriett071
You did a btec and got into Bristol? The tussle group one? That's amazing, you'll be fine :smile:

Well, I have an A in A-level Maths, too.
Thank you, I sincerely hope so, too.
That's great then! Don't worry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending