The Student Room Group

Year 13 - What do I do if I mess up my exams this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neal95
you retake the year either privately or as a 3rd year at college. trust me, it all works out. i did average last year, was encouraged to go to a uni that i know was below my potential. resat the year and ended up at the university of sheffield. believe and you can achieve, dont let people put you down, academics arent everything, you can compensate via work experience, desire and commitment go a long way! the people that put you down will be the ones who you will overtake eventually!

That is very encouraging haha thanks! One of my teachers isn't being very encouraging and it can be disheartening sometimes...
Original post by AlohaCharlotte
I'm in year 13, what will happen if I perform really badly in exams this year (retaking units 2 and ISAs on top of A2s), I'm under the impression I cannot retake a year due to the government changing the timing of a levels, so what would I do?
Sorry this is really badly worded so I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say :smile:

Please don't make me cry! :frown: I've got so much to look forward to at University and have got an offer from the one I'm going to firm for ABB!
If I fail this year, I honestly don't know what will happen to me because I won't be able to pull myself back up again.
Original post by Asurat
My plan is to find a centre where I can do resits and then just ghost for a year and work, then try again tbh, which should be fine for maths and further maths at least as that isn't changing til 2017. I understand some courses are moving specs and grades etc, but I can still resit some AS modules despite the spec changing for the year below so fingers crossed I can do the same with A2, otherwise it is going to be a fast-track A-level.

I was thinking wither that or apply for a foundation year somewhere... I'm so glad its not just me worried though!
Original post by emiloujess
Please don't make me cry! :frown: I've got so much to look forward to at University and have got an offer from the one I'm going to firm for ABB!
If I fail this year, I honestly don't know what will happen to me because I won't be able to pull myself back up again.

My confidence took a huge blow during year 12, so I understand where you're coming from! I think we just have to keep motivating ourselves...
That is very encouraging haha thanks! One of my teachers isn't being very encouraging and it can be disheartening sometimes...

i faced the same problems, have faith in your ability! it looks better for the schools statistics to send you off to university, as it dosent matter which university for them. taking a gap year and studying on my own has helped me so far this year as i am way ahead of my flatmate sin regards to independent revision, which is essential at uni, especially for law
My confidence took a huge blow during year 12, so I understand where you're coming from! I think we just have to keep motivating ourselves...

I had to repeat year 12. I've finally found something I want to do for the rest of my life and the thought of failing AGAIN makes me cry. (sorry for being depressing)
Original post by annieprincess
That's really dumb, because people have different situations that may compromise their grade. And also, especially with essay based subjects, the marking is super subjective! What one person thinks is a B, the other may think is an A*. Also, with OCR losing papers, it doesn't help. (I'm sure my media paper was lost lol)

What they should do is set up exam dates for 2017 for retakes only, and that way, nobody loses out. It's unfair on our year in particular.

Someone in my school, that I know personally, went from a E to an A in one of her papers, (I kid you not) in English after it was remarked
Original post by neal95
i faced the same problems, have faith in your ability! it looks better for the schools statistics to send you off to university, as it dosent matter which university for them. taking a gap year and studying on my own has helped me so far this year as i am way ahead of my flatmate sin regards to independent revision, which is essential at uni, especially for law

I've already gone over a lot of the stuff on my own, so I think my plan is to independently learn it, never done it before and stuff is sticking a lot better already :biggrin:
Hey, my exam officer said that even though the government has changed the exam system this doesnt effect retakes. You can actually retake your A2's next year and fail and then retake the next year after that as he said the retakes are open for two years. The reason for this is because previous years had the same opportunity, therefore it's not fair if its taken away from us.

Of course double check this with your exam officer, but I assume this is right.
I had to repeat year 12. I've finally found something I want to do for the rest of my life and the thought of failing AGAIN makes me cry. (sorry for being depressing)

Its fine, I'm so scared of failing! I was thinking about resitting year 12 but couldn't bring myself to resit the entire year
Reply 30
I was thinking wither that or apply for a foundation year somewhere... I'm so glad its not just me worried though!

I'm comfortably prepared for failure now. And idk I'd rather hold out and get better A levels than do a foundation year as another year at uni is a lot of money.
Original post by HenryKenry
Hey, my exam officer said that even though the government has changed the exam system this doesnt effect retakes. You can actually retake your A2's next year and fail and then retake the next year after that as he said the retakes are open for two years. The reason for this is because previous years had the same opportunity, therefore it's not fair if its taken away from us.

Of course double check this with your exam officer, but I assume this is right.

SERIOUSLY? This is awesome news thank you so much. I'll double check with my exams officer next week though
Someone in my school, that I know personally, went from a E to an A in one of her papers, (I kid you not) in English after it was remarked

Similar situation with my school, but it was two students who went from a D to an A (full marks) in their English papers.
Original post by Asurat
I'm comfortably prepared for failure now. And idk I'd rather hold out and get better A levels than do a foundation year as another year at uni is a lot of money.

It's really hard to choose between, the advantage for me is that the uni is local so I can live at home
Its fine, I'm so scared of failing! I was thinking about resitting year 12 but couldn't bring myself to resit the entire year

I kinda had to, I got EEUU :frown: Then I moved colleges, changed subjects and got ABC. I was so happy. Starting to get terrified again now though, especially when there's so much at stake now and I've improved so much personally.
SERIOUSLY? This is awesome news thank you so much. I'll double check with my exams officer next week though

Yep, I was also worried like you, I'm the sort of person who always thinks about the worst case scenario lol. But yes do check with your exam officer and do your own research but its should be correct as it makes sense- if previous years got to retake then of course we should too.
I kinda had to, I got EEUU :frown: Then I moved colleges, changed subjects and got ABC. I was so happy. Starting to get terrified again now though, especially when there's so much at stake now and I've improved so much personally.

That's awesome! Keep going and I'm sure you'll do amazing!
Original post by HenryKenry
Yep, I was also worried like you, I'm the sort of person who always thinks about the worst case scenario lol. But yes do check with your exam officer and do your own research but its should be correct as it makes sense- if previous years got to retake then of course we should too.

Yeah same lol
Thanks for the info
That's awesome! Keep going and I'm sure you'll do amazing!

I really hope you're right :smile: I'm sure you will too! Thanks though, you've made me feel a little better... I'm just worried about one of my subjects in particular. Which subjects/exam boards are you doing?
I really hope you're right :smile: I'm sure you will too! Thanks though, you've made me feel a little better... I'm just worried about one of my subjects in particular. Which subjects/exam boards are you doing?

Biology AQA, Chemistry AQA and Geography Edexcel, you?

Quick Reply

Latest