The Student Room Group

Year 13 - What do I do if I mess up my exams this year?

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently a gap year student but have experienced numerous As module resits (5 units) and 2 ISA's and did them whilst doing my A2's. I think it's manageable as long as you do your work from the start of the year and look at what you're resitting now and then for some refreshment. I was doing Biology, Chemistry and Economics and Maths (dropped maths half way through the year because I wasn't allowed to do 4 A levels :X)
BTW don't think about failing, it makes you nervous and panic and results in bad outcomes. Don't think of the consequences just focus on your work.
Original post by AlohaCharlotte
Biology AQA, Chemistry AQA and Geography Edexcel, you?

Biology is hard, I did AS AQA Bio my first attempt at year 12 :frown: I'm doing OCR Psychology (absolutely horrific this year and the only grade I'm really worried about), AQA Sociology (my favourite subject this year and my A at AS) and WJEC Film Studies (a hell of a lot harder than it sounds)
Original post by emiloujess
Biology is hard, I did AS AQA Bio my first attempt at year 12 :frown: I'm doing OCR Psychology (absolutely horrific this year and the only grade I'm really worried about), AQA Sociology (my favourite subject this year and my A at AS) and WJEC Film Studies (a hell of a lot harder than it sounds)

Sounds like an amazing mix! Sciences are fascinating but man, I find them hard (more the exams, not the actual content)
Sounds like an amazing mix! Sciences are fascinating but man, I find them hard (more the exams, not the actual content)

I've really enjoyed them! Yeah the exams are hard because there's only one answer, not your own interpretation which was what I found hardest I think (despite being far better at science/maths at GCSE - weird swap!)

What course/unis have you applied to? (sorry, tell me if I'm bothering you!)
I've really enjoyed them! Yeah the exams are hard because there's only one answer, not your own interpretation which was what I found hardest I think (despite being far better at science/maths at GCSE - weird swap!)

What course/unis have you applied to? (sorry, tell me if I'm bothering you!)

I honestly dont mind haha
My first choice is tropical disease biology at Liverpool, but I'm also applying for biology with deferred choice. Biology at ljmu, medical microbiology at Leicester and virology and immunology at bristol.
What about you?
I honestly dont mind haha
My first choice is tropical disease biology at Liverpool, but I'm also applying for biology with deferred choice. Biology at ljmu, medical microbiology at Leicester and virology and immunology at bristol.
What about you?

I believe we have spoken before :biggrin: Something about living too far away from Bristol?
Aber, Birmingham, Cardiff and Swansea.
That's my worry too. I thought that next year they'd make one last re-sit exam for people who have failed this year, but my sixth form told us that they don't want us back. I also don't want to go back to year 12 either.

My back up plan would be to stay at home and do online A level courses, I literally have no decent sixth forms/colleges around my area :s-smilie:
Original post by Fleming1928
That's my worry too. I thought that next year they'd make one last re-sit exam for people who have failed this year, but my sixth form told us that they don't want us back. I also don't want to go back to year 12 either.

My back up plan would be to stay at home and do online A level courses, I literally have no decent sixth forms/colleges around my area :s-smilie:

I'm worried this is what my sixth form will say, unless we self study and if resits are available, we do resit?
Original post by neal95
you retake the year either privately or as a 3rd year at college. trust me, it all works out. i did average last year, was encouraged to go to a uni that i know was below my potential. resat the year and ended up at the university of sheffield. believe and you can achieve, dont let people put you down, academics arent everything, you can compensate via work experience, desire and commitment go a long way! the people that put you down will be the ones who you will overtake eventually!

Sheffield is my dream uni, I've applied for History and Russian on the 13th of October, so far no reply but I'm hoping for the best.

I got ACC at AS and need to get ABB, I will be resitting 2 exams + doing EPQ, judging by your experience, do you think this will be possible?
I'm worried this is what my sixth form will say, unless we self study and if resits are available, we do resit?

My sixth form doesn't even allow self study and then just coming in for the exam.

Some people have been at my sixth form for like 4 years now because they keep re-sitting and because of the new system they said it's not possible anymore :s-smilie:

So yeah ... my back-up plan is doing A Levels online. I wish I did it this year tbh (ie drop one subject and pick up one online course).
Sheffield is my dream uni, I've applied for History and Russian on the 13th of October, so far no reply but I'm hoping for the best.

I got ACC at AS and need to get ABB, I will be resitting 2 exams + doing EPQ, judging by your experience, do you think this will be possible?

you will most definitely get in, i 100% guarantee it. sheffield were in clearing for loads of courses last year for BBB. in my experience, getting an offer took around 1 week, but you should definitely get one before 1 month, sheffield are brilliant like that, in fact it was november when i got my offer, strange how quickly time flies!
Original post by neal95
you will most definitely get in, i 100% guarantee it. sheffield were in clearing for loads of courses last year for BBB. in my experience, getting an offer took around 1 week, but you should definitely get one before 1 month, sheffield are brilliant like that, in fact it was november when i got my offer, strange how quickly time flies!

Thank you, this made me feel a bit better. My course was indeed in clearing this year as I was constantly checking up on it. Do you think if the worst comes to worst on results day, would Sheffield be lenient with the grades? For example accepting ABC.
There's is a retake opportunity for current year 13 next year and I think there might be one the year after too, but definitely next year
Thank you, this made me feel a bit better. My course was indeed in clearing this year as I was constantly checking up on it. Do you think if the worst comes to worst on results day, would Sheffield be lenient with the grades? For example accepting ABC.

yep most definitely. things will only become more lenient now with the removal of the ABBA criteria and hence uni departments will be looking to expand, especially sheffield which is a large uni
Original post by neal95
yep most definitely. things will only become more lenient now with the removal of the ABBA criteria and hence uni departments will be looking to expand, especially sheffield which is a large uni

That's great to hear, thank you!
This is primarily a concern for me too
I totally lost motivation during year 12, ended up not revising at all, and achieved BCCCD

I'm applying with BCD for English Literature to uni's asking for ABB/BBB, however I'm worried that I wont get offered any places because it's a competitive course and I got such bad grades.

B - English Literature
A2 prediction (A)
C - History (resitting a module)
A2 prediction (B)
D - Law (resitting a module)
A2 prediction (B)

If I screw up this year, I really don't know what I'd do.
:console::console::console::console::console::console:
I had to repeat year 12. I've finally found something I want to do for the rest of my life and the thought of failing AGAIN makes me cry. (sorry for being depressing)

I FEEL YOU, I am in the same situation. The idea of failing twice is pretty stressful. :frown: *hugs*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow, I'm in first year at uni and I'm so glad I'm done with A-levels. I don't exactly remember the pain, but I remember at the time saying to myself, "This is so stressful, remember how stressful this is and how you should never repeat this".

But if you screw up A-levels and want to do uni, there are foundation years.
Just study and do your best, but one thing that you can nowadays is foundation degrees at universities
Original post by panophobic
This is primarily a concern for me too
I totally lost motivation during year 12, ended up not revising at all, and achieved BCCCD

I'm applying with BCD for English Literature to uni's asking for ABB/BBB, however I'm worried that I wont get offered any places because it's a competitive course and I got such bad grades.

B - English Literature
A2 prediction (A)
C - History (resitting a module)
A2 prediction (B)
D - Law (resitting a module)
A2 prediction (B)

If I screw up this year, I really don't know what I'd do.
:console::console::console::console::console::console:

Same situation! Got ABCD at alevel but have been predicted ABB and will be resitting some exams

Quick Reply

Latest