The Student Room Group

Why is approaching strangers on the street seen as a bad thing?

I'm almost 19 have very few friends and want more, however the main ways people meet (through uni,flatmates,parties etc) don't interest me as they don't lead me to types of people i wanna meet, and as a result I've become alone by choice. However i live near camden town and go there everyday (for my course) and literally see so many people everyday that id like to approach and get to know, some to just to be friends and some that I'm attracted to. I don't do it partly coz I'm bit shy and partly coz its a frowned upon thing to do... but why? why is it a bad thing?
The way i see it is like each time i walk past someone i could meet, I'm erasing a possible future, like i could legit be walking past my future wife lol but honestly it hurts coz i walk past these people everyday and go back to being alone, what should do? should i just try and do it anyway or is approaching strangers really a bad thing?

thanks to anyone who replies
You realise there are specific places people go to if they want to talk to strangers. Why don't you just go there?
Reply 2
Original post by cole-slaw
You realise there are specific places people go to if they want to talk to strangers. Why don't you just go there?

Because I'm not looking to meet just any stranger, I'm looking to meet the people i want to meet. (Sorry if i come across as selfish or stubborn but i can't help the way i feel)
btw although i have an idea of what you mean, what places specifically are you referring to?
Reply 3
:bump: anyone else?
Reply 4
It seems like a cultural taboo to approach people on the street, but peoples natural assumption is that only criminals / dogdy people/ sales people/ people asking for donations to charity ( choggers), tend to approach people... Bare in mind you don't know what kind of mood or day the person you are approaching is going through...
Reply 5
Original post by ebam_uk
It seems like a cultural taboo to approach people on the street, but peoples natural assumption is that only criminals / dogdy people/ sales people/ people asking for donations to charity ( choggers), tend to approach people... Bare in mind you don't know what kind of mood or day the person you are approaching is going through...

yeah thats whats stopping me :frown: but at same time i feel like if my intent is made clear as soon as possible then maybe they wouldn't mind? and yeah i definitely consider the way persons mood seems, id be too scared to approach a pissed off person lol but like the other day i saw a really beautiful girl standing at the bus stop that i was at, why would it be wrong then?
It's sometimes seen as creepy tbh. If I want to meet to people, I go to groups where I can meet people.
Original post by Anonymous
Because I'm not looking to meet just any stranger, I'm looking to meet the people i want to meet. (Sorry if i come across as selfish or stubborn but i can't help the way i feel)
btw although i have an idea of what you mean, what places specifically are you referring to?

Well, I have two comments.
Firstly, when people are in the street its generally because they're going somewhere. They want to get to where they're going, they don't want to be stopped and talked to, so it is generally considered extremely rude to impose yourself upon them. British people don't even really like to stop and talk to people they know, let alone someone they don't.

Secondly, I don't really understand what you mean by "the people you want to meet". The people you see in the street are complete strangers, you have absolutely no way of telling what kind of people they are or whether you would want to talk to them or not from a passing glance.
Reply 8
Why dont you first start talking to people on your course, or ask them for help first
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
yeah thats whats stopping me :frown: but at same time i feel like if my intent is made clear as soon as possible then maybe they wouldn't mind? and yeah i definitely consider the way persons mood seems, id be too scared to approach a pissed off person lol but like the other day i saw a really beautiful girl standing at the bus stop that i was at, why would it be wrong then?

To be honest, smile first, make eye contact and try to establish non verbally if someone wants to be approached. As long as you aren't showing you are going to rape the lady for example she might be willing to at least have a conversation or she could be a damsel in distress who needs help/ directions or the time to get from A to B, these are opportunities to make friends or at least be social... But bare in mind sometimes when people are out and about they are in a hurry or late and can be hostile to a stranger talking to them... or they are having a bad day or in a bad mood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending