The Student Room Group

maths gcse

Can i get an A* in 8 days
It kind of depends from which grade you're starting from, how determined you are and what kind of support your school offers you eg revision material.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by kibi.coco
It kind of depends from which grade you're starting from, how determined you are and what kind of support your school offers you eg revision material.

Posted from TSR Mobile
no grade
What do you mean no grade? You must have at least an indication of what grade you are working at currently
Can I ask what year you're in?
Reply 5
Year 11 and my grade is a b is it possible to get an a*
Original post by bart232
Year 11 and my grade is a b is it possible to get an a*

Which areas of maths are you most comfortable and least comfortable in? I don't see why not you can't get an A* if you don't work at it
8 days is a bit unrealistic, however, if you put in the work you can definately improve your marks in 8 days , gcse maths is very doable, the A* questions are normally just harder trigonometry or algebra. Its whether you choose to focus on the A* questions or (what i would do) make sure that the foundation is there, try not to drop marks before the A* questions as this can still get you about the 80ish% pass boundary. You can definitely improve your grades just dont give up! I was on a B/C this time last year and i got a much better grade in the summer exams :')
If you dint understand a question, dont just leave it, make sure to find out what the answrr is, cos a similar questikn might come up
Reply 9
Original post by Moodicrus
8 days is a bit unrealistic, however, if you put in the work you can definately improve your marks in 8 days , gcse maths is very doable, the A* questions are normally just harder trigonometry or algebra. Its whether you choose to focus on the A* questions or (what i would do) make sure that the foundation is there, try not to drop marks before the A* questions as this can still get you about the 80ish% pass boundary. You can definitely improve your grades just dont give up! I was on a B/C this time last year and i got a much better grade in the summer exams :':wink:

Thanks how do u mean 8 days is unrealistic
Original post by bart232
Thanks how do u mean 8 days is unrealistic

I didn't mean any offence by it but personally, moving my grade up to an A* was more about a different kind of thinking than harder questions. I.e the fact that the questions were more difficult wasn't the hard thing. Sure, you could get away with just learning the syllabus for most questions but these days, and especially for my exam in summer, they focused more on applying the knowledge (did you hear about the hannah's sweets questions that everyone was complaining about?). Ive no doubt that you can develop those skills, but whether its doable in a week is a bit of a stretch.
i would just focus on your weaker areas and dropping as few marks as possible on the rest of the paper and leave A* questions until after you've got that solid foundational mathematical knowledge
Original post by bart232

Why do you have to teach yourself in 8 days? If you are in Year 11 you still have a few months left until your GCSE exams, right?
Original post by hoping4Astars
Why do you have to teach yourself in 8 days? If you are in Year 11 you still have a few months left until your GCSE exams, right?

November Mocks
Since you're so desperate on getting A* on mocks which aren't too important, I would suggest working on:
Trig
Solving and Factorising Quadratics
Vectors
Circle geometry
Surds (Rationalising denominator)

If you have one of those Edexcel (or which exam board you're doing) practice books then do some of the A and A* questions. As long as your knowlegde in other areas of maths is sound the if you work on those topics, which usually come at the end, then you'll be able to scrape an A*
Original post by bart232

depends on your starting point. assuming you are numerically capable and have already obtained required knowledge to fulfill A grade specification then i would say of course. however if you're a typical lazy D grader probably not.
I'm a GCSE maths tutor btw message if you want help

Quick Reply

Latest