The Student Room Group

Cheapest Way to Travel In London!!! COMMUTER

I am travelling between zones 1-6, 4 days a week.
I have an 18+ oyster photo card, but I am not seeing the benefit of this, it does not give discounts on daily travel cards.

Does anyone know how this works... it's really stressing me out financially!! I have a 16-25 railcard too!
Reply 1
Due to the absolute bastards that run the train lines in this country, travelling into London is going to be expensive. The best way to work it is by weighing up the price of a weekly/monthly ticket and weighing up how much you'd pay in individual fares.

See what rail tickets your rail provider does too, as they can vary from train company to train company - e.g. Great Northern does NOT accept 16-25 rail cards before 9:30am so they'd be useless for the majority of commuters.

Also please consider joining groups dedicated to getting train fares lowered such as http://www.bringbackbritishrail.org/ who are pro-renationalisation of the railways
Original post by lizmoo0721
I am travelling between zones 1-6, 4 days a week.
I have an 18+ oyster photo card, but I am not seeing the benefit of this, it does not give discounts on daily travel cards.

Does anyone know how this works... it's really stressing me out financially!! I have a 16-25 railcard too!

does a weekly one not work out cheaper with the discount?

There's no other way to do it unfortunately unless you want to spend like 5 hours on the bus
Reply 3
Original post by redferry
does a weekly one not work out cheaper with the discount?

There's no other way to do it unfortunately unless you want to spend like 5 hours on the bus

You can't get weekly tickets with the 16-25 railcard, only daily ones.
I don't think 5 hours on a bus is going to be happening hahahaha :-)
You can't get weekly tickets with the 16-25 railcard, only daily ones.
I don't think 5 hours on a bus is going to be happening hahahaha :-)

Oh so you don't have a student oyster, just one linked to a 16-25 railcard?

Student oysters give you discount off all travel cards you see - that's where I got confused!
Reply 5
Oh so you don't have a student oyster, just one linked to a 16-25 railcard?

Student oysters give you discount off all travel cards you see - that's where I got confused!

I have a 18+ but I didn't find it gave much discount, PAYG or Travelcards (only weekly)
I have a 18+ but I didn't find it gave much discount, PAYG or Travelcards (only weekly)

it gives you a third off travel cards, you dont get discount for pay as you go but you can if you attach your 16-25 railcard to your oyster and you're travelling off peak.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/18-student
Reply 7
it gives you a third off travel cards, you dont get discount for pay as you go but you can if you attach your 16-25 railcard to your oyster and you're travelling off peak.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/18-student

When using my 18+ to buy travel cards, I has NEVER given discounted rates!
When using my 18+ to buy travel cards, I has NEVER given discounted rates!

Well you obviously aren't purchasing them correctly :/ just go to the machine and buy a student travel card, it's really simple. I buy them monthly but if you know you don't have long periods away it might be worth doing it annually.
I have to commute from zone 5 to 1 for uni. I get a 1 month travel card with my 18+ Oyster, costs £146 as opposed to £213.

Which is great since it lets me use the tubes and buses as much as I like.
Original post by MrDystopia
I have to commute from zone 5 to 1 for uni. I get a 1 month travel card with my 18+ Oyster, costs £146 as opposed to £213.

Which is great since it lets me use the tubes and buses as much as I like.

I was thinking about getting a monthly one.. Does it work out cost effectively for you?
I was thinking about getting a monthly one.. Does it work out cost effectively for you?

Definitely, since pay as you go could be as much as £12 a day for me (I have to get s bus to the tube station too). Plus if ever I wanted to go out anywhere with friends, too many journeys on the tube would just rack up the price further.

Quick Reply

Latest