The Student Room Group

UCAS Teacher Training Application Form - help!

I'm applying for a Primary PGCE to start September 2016 so obviously I'm working through my application at the moment. I've come to the part where it asks me about my 'main subjects' and 'minor subjects' during my degree. I'm unsure what to write - does it mean for me to write the titles of my modules or the main gist of what each module covered? I'm assuming the former but I'm really confused.

Thanks in advance for any help!

:smile:
Reply 1
I applied last year, i just put all the modules in and the appropriate credits. I never put anything about what each module covered.
Ok, guessing you got on to a course then? I'll do the same.

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by beccatiffany(:
Ok, guessing you got on to a course then? I'll do the same.

Thanks!

Yes i did :smile:
I think the section your on about is the one where you put in the credits?
Whoops
(edited 8 years ago)
Congrats then :smile:
Yeah it is, I'm just entering module titles then will input credits etc. Thanks again for explaining it in plain English! :smile:
Original post by Aemiliana
First draft done! There are two sentences I definitely need to rephrase but I need to leave it alone for a few hours and come back to it I think.

I'm going to take it to the careers service this afternoon to see what they think. But otherwise I just need to finish the work experience section and send it off!

Oh well done! I Good luck with it :smile:
Reply 7
Congrats then :smile:
Yeah it is, I'm just entering module titles then will input credits etc. Thanks again for explaining it in plain English! :smile:

No problem, good luck with your application
Oh well done! I Good luck with it :smile:

Whoops, I totally posted this in the wrong thread which means that my post meant for this thread is... who knows! How embarrassing.

I meant to say something along the lines of you only get 50 character for each module so you can only put titles really (and I had to edit the titles as a lot of mine were over that).

I just put all mine under the main bit as they were all in my department and if I only put my ancient history (my degree) modules in that section I'd need loads of room in the other one.

Sorry for having UCAS brain earlier.
(edited 8 years ago)
I put all my modules and credits, then for my MA did the same.
I'd use the module code to help categorize - if you took 120 credits in, say English, then I would write "English - 120 credits" - if there's any modules which you want to highlight then I would put those individually, otherwise it's a lot of work to input all the individual modules....
Original post by Findlay6
I put all my modules and credits, then for my MA did the same.

How did you put modules for your MA? I didn't see the option under the other bit.
So you all put credits instead of a percentage? UCAS recommends putting a percentage for each module but doesn't let you put a decimal so it's pretty difficult for me to do it that way =/
Original post by travelfiend
So you all put credits instead of a percentage? UCAS recommends putting a percentage for each module but doesn't let you put a decimal so it's pretty difficult for me to do it that way =/

I put percentages. Given that all my modules bar my dissertation were worth the same number of credits it seems a bit silly but that's what UCAS asked for.

My total percentage ended up at something like 107...
Original post by travelfiend

If you click the (?) by the side of the 'Time spent' on the application form it gives you a formula, which like you said makes demical percentages but they want whole numbers. What you have to do is round the numbers up or down until you're coming out with 100. I did it by making my first year modules worth 2 or 3% each depending on how much time I thought I spent, then the same for second year, and my final year I made all the modules 6%. My first and second year's pecentages added up to 32 each (64% altogether so far), then my final year added up to 36%. I made an Excel spreadsheet so I could easily count up the percentages and adjust as needed.

Hope this helps, can screenshot the Excel sheet if you need it :smile:
I put percentages. Given that all my modules bar my dissertation were worth the same number of credits it seems a bit silly but that's what UCAS asked for.

My total percentage ended up at something like 107...

If you click the (?) by the side of the 'Time spent' on the application form it gives you a formula, which like you said makes demical percentages but they want whole numbers. What you have to do is round the numbers up or down until you're coming out with 100. I did it by making my first year modules worth 2 or 3% each depending on how much time I thought I spent, then the same for second year, and my final year I made all the modules 6%. My first and second year's pecentages added up to 32 each (64% altogether so far), then my final year added up to 36%. I made an Excel spreadsheet so I could easily count up the percentages and adjust as needed.

Hope this helps, can screenshot the Excel sheet if you need it :smile:

Okay, will do them as percentages. Just seems like a slightly bizarre way of doing things, especially as for HE applicants the universities will understand credits!
How did you put modules for your MA? I didn't see the option under the other bit.

There wasn't, but I had spare spaces, so just titled one "MA course" and added them under.
Underneath it asked what your highest qualification will be by the time the course starts, but doesn't ask what it is or its relevance. :s
Reply 17
Sorry to jump on an old post, I'm in the middle of completing my teacher training application on UCAS and I'm just confused about the inputting of credits. All together credits on my psychology degree add up to 360 but it says that this section should add up to 100% ? Obviously if i inputted each module as 20 credits it wouldn't equate 100% ...
Original post by S27
Yes i did :smile:
I think the section your on about is the one where you put in the credits?
Reply 18
Original post by rhean18
Sorry to jump on an old post, I'm in the middle of completing my teacher training application on UCAS and I'm just confused about the inputting of credits. All together credits on my psychology degree add up to 360 but it says that this section should add up to 100% ? Obviously if i inputted each module as 20 credits it wouldn't equate 100% ...

Sorry Rhean, I honestly have no recollection of the 100% thing. I recall putting in 20, 20, 10.... for all the modules, but this may have changed (or I did it wrong!). If the 100% thing were the case each module would be like 5.5% which is ludicrous. Try asking in PGGE applicants thread to see how they did it.
Reply 19
Original post by rhean18

You need to provide percentages. If you click the blue '?' link, UCAS provides the following guidance:

Time spent/credits
For the purposes of the degree breakdown training providers want to know about all the subject areas you studied during your degree and the time you spent on these subjects whether or not they counted towards the degree classification you achieved.Enter the amount of time spent on each of the main subjects in your degree as a whole number percentage, for example '15%' and not '15.25%'.Overall, the time spent studying should add up to 100%. Please make sure the percentages entered for your main degree subjects + the percentages entered for your other degree subjects = 100%.

There's a lot more on the UCAS site if you click the question mark symbol. I think I misread the guidance when I applied and just put BA English 100%, but it didn't harm my chances one bit. The course providers simply need to know which subjects you studied and how much these subjects contributed to your final degree classification because, for secondary, 50% of your degree needs to be in the subject that you want to teach, so they need to know whether or not you meet this requirement.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending