The Student Room Group

Sanitary items as luxuries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PurplePixie96
It's reasonable to be upset that we are being taxed on a bodily function that it pretty much unavoidable, you also need to consider that some women struggle to scrape together enough for one box of pads or tampons, and while a 15p change might not seem drastic to those of us lucky enough to be able to easily afford tampons or pads it could really help those less fortunate. Of course the ideal path would be them being free but obviously that's never going to happen unless you go to your school nurse and clear her out!

There's also the fact that other countries have dropped the tax, so of course women are wondering why that hasn't happened here.

I'd love to know those women who struggle to find 9p/month to pay for that tax. I'd happily give them that 9p so that maybe they can spend their time thinking and doing something about the myriad other problems that actually are problems.

That tampons are expensive is probably right. They should probably be free. But let's distinguish the different arguments. The tax argument is not reasonable, it's not high enough to warrant starting a thread about it. That tampons or pads ought to be free IS reasonable but that's not what scrapping the tax will even remotely address. It's a different problem altogether.
Original post by Anon_98
Why makes you consider a bed + warmth to be luxuries, when they are infact neccesities(?) :s-smilie:

They are necessities but since not everyone in the world has access to them, I consider them a luxury.
Original post by PetitBourgeois
How much £ per year are we talking about? the tax on 48 tampons is, say, 15p (it costs £3 with the 5% tax which means the tax is more like 14p or so but let's say 15p).

How many tampons do girls use every month on average? I can't see this costing more than £2-3 a year. Is it really worth complaining about? granted, the tax ought not to exist at all but it's really a tiny problem?

The point is that tampons/pads are already expensive as they are. The price should be reduced if anything, not increased because of taxes. The reason behind taxing also sparked an outrage, luxury? Yeah because we all love to bleed out of our vaginas 5 days a month for about 45 years of our lives.

In addition to that, there are non-essential items that are free. Contraceptives are all free on the NHS so we are pretty much being charged for allowing our bodies to function naturally, yep that's great.
Original post by Kadak
Was never trying t change my opinion.Although you changed my view of what a luxury is.

So you agree?

Original post by cherryred90s
How are they a luxury? contraception is a luxury, yet they are free of charge.

Of course they are a luxury, tell that to the women who don't have access to them.
Original post by PetitBourgeois
I'd love to know those women who struggle to find 9p/month to pay for that tax. I'd happily give them that 9p so that maybe they can spend their time thinking and doing something about the myriad other problems that actually are problems.

That tampons are expensive is probably right. They should probably be free. But let's distinguish the different arguments. The tax argument is not reasonable, it's not high enough to warrant starting a thread about it. That tampons or pads ought to be free IS reasonable but that's not what scrapping the tax will even remotely address. It's a different problem altogether.

While I respect your opinion and dont follow the "no uterus, no opinion" comment, I must point out that I do not believe that you, as a male, can truly understand as, lucky for you, you don't menstruate.

Feel free to take a look at this and tell me what you think, because I wholeheartedly agree, http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/we-need-to-abolish-the-tampon-tax-and-tackle-the-period-taboo-even-if-it-only-saves-women-2-a-year-a6709616.html
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
So you agree?

Of course they are a luxury, tell that to the women who don't have access to them.

Just because some people don't have acces to it, doesn't make it a luxury. Is water a luxury?
Yes. It isnt a lot to pay but its not really the money thats the issue, its the principle. If you guys bled from your dicks as heavily as some women do (think fully saturating a jumbo tampon in two hours) and the item that helped you feel more comfortable and clean was classed as a luxury item I'm pretty sure you'd be upset too.

I made the move to cups recently and I will admit they are a lot more comfortable and you can also get reusable pads that would work out cheaper than buying a disposable pack, but obviously reusables aren't for everyone.

Side note; I believe crocodile meat or some other kind of exotic meat isn't classed as a luxury... Oh EU, your priorities are certainly interesting.

If the money is not the issue then why are you complaining about them being taxed?

Your principle is wrong because they are a luxury, if they make you feel clean and comfortable then it is a luxury. :rolleyes:
Just because some people don't have acces to it, doesn't make it a luxury. Is water a luxury?

Of course it is. Don't you class yourself lucky to drink clean water that isn't going to make you ill?

You sound like such a western feminist.

Take this as an opportunity to introduce yourself to intersectional feminism...:rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
It doesn't matter, sanitary products are not a luxury by any means. Its offensive to say otherwise. They shouldn't be taxed at all. The contraceptive pill and condoms are free of charge on the NHS..

There are a lot of items listed a luxury items that arent.

On the bright side, they are taxed at a reduced rate.
Of course it is. Don't you class yourself luck to drink clean water that isn't going to make you ill?

Take this as an opportunity to introduce yourself to intersectional feminism...:rolleyes:

water is essential. Without water, we won't survive longer than 3 days. How can that possibly be a luxury? You should go to the kids in 3rd world countries currently dying of dehydration and tell them they don't need water.
Of course it is. Don't you class yourself lucky to drink clean water that isn't going to make you ill?

:eek4: Shots fired

You have no idea what a luxury good is :rolleyes:
If the money is not the issue then why are you complaining about them being taxed?

Your principle is wrong because they are a luxury, if they make you feel clean and comfortable then it is a luxury. :rolleyes:

In the grand scheme of things yes they are a luxury because of what other women have to deal with. And you know what? If that money that was used on tax actually did some good like provide adequate sanitary provisions for poorer countries, then hell, I'd encourage them to triple it, but it's not. So what use is it?

Cba to read back, but do you support the 'tampon tax'?
water is essential. Without water, we won't survive longer than 3 days. How can that possibly be a luxury? You should go to the kids in 3rd world countries currently dying of dehydration and tell them they don't need water.

Lmao that is the most stupid thing you have said so far on this thread :laugh: Do you think if you asked those children in 3rd world counties if they consider water a luxury or not, what do you think their answer would be?

You sound like someone who is just to concerned about themselves to care about other issues that don't affect you directly.
In the grand scheme of things yes they are a luxury because of what other women have to deal with. And you know what? If that money that was used on tax actually did some good like provide adequate sanitary provisions for poorer countries, then hell, I'd encourage them to triple it, but it's not. So what use is it?

Then express these concerns! Don't contradict yourself because it certainly is a luxury.
Lmao that is the most stupid thing you have said so far on this thread :laugh: Do you think if you asked those children in 3rd world counties if they consider water a luxury or not, what do you think their answer would be?

You sound like someone who is just to concerned about themselves to care about other issues that don't affect you directly.

I sound stupid? You just said that water is not essential and I sound stupid? Perhaps you should stop drinking water, don't worry you'll be fine.
Then express these concerns! Don't contradict yourself because it certainly is a luxury.

I don't think water is a luxury M... :colonhash:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Cba to read back, but do you support the 'tampon tax'?

Well I'm in two minds about it, of course from a moral standpoint, no I don't agree. It's a natural bodily function.

I just think it's wrong to consider sanity items not a luxury. They certainly are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending