The Student Room Group

Sanitary items as luxuries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

Your principle is wrong because they are a luxury, if they make you feel clean and comfortable then it is a luxury. :rolleyes:

So you believe that those who dont wish to feel gross and icky are treating themselves? People need to be clean and hygienic. Hygiene cannot be a luxury bc it is a basic requirement. Yes, some people around the other world may not have access to these things but it does not mean those that do are indulging in life + the like.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
I sound stupid? You just said that water is not essential and I sound stupid? Perhaps you should stop drinking water, don't worry you'll be fine.

When did I say water was not essential? don't put words in my mouth. I said you should consider yourself lucky to have clean water, essentially making it a luxury. Also....you pay a water bill don't you? :rolleyes:
Original post by drowzee
I don't think water is a luxury M... :colonhash:

apparently, a basic human need is a luxury. We can survive without water. whats the worst that can happen if we don't drink water? It's not like we'll die or anything..
So you agree?

Of course they are a luxury, tell that to the women who don't have access to them.

Yes,I sort of knew in my heart they are a luxury.But here in the West,people take alot of things for granted I guess.
Original post by drowzee
I don't think water is a luxury M... :colonhash:

It is, it is also essential. But we are lucky to have access to clean water that isn't ridden with disease, it is considered a luxury. I'm speaking from the same perspective as I was with sanitary items.
apparently, a basic human need is a luxury. We can survive without water. whats the worst that can happen if we don't drink water? It's not like we'll die or anything..

Lol piss off, you're ridiculous.
Lol piss off, you're ridiculous.

If anyone is ridiculous, it's you
If anyone is ridiculous, it's you

Why because I don't take things for granted. Also you didn't reply to my last post addressed to you, I wonder why :rolleyes:
Well I'm in two minds about it, of course from a moral standpoint, no I don't agree. It's a natural bodily function.

I just think it's wrong to consider sanity items not a luxury. They certainly are.

I disagree.

See:
Original post by Anon_98
So you believe that those who dont wish to feel gross and icky are treating themselves? People need to be clean and hygienic. Hygiene cannot be a luxury bc it is a basic requirement. Yes, some people around the other world may not have access to these things but it does not mean those that do are indulging in life + the like.

:h:
Original post by Kadak
Yes,I sort of knew in my heart they are a luxury.But here in the West,people take alot of things for granted I guess.

What are we taking for granted?
It is, it is also essential.

Something cannot simultaneously be a luxury and essential - these are, surely, mutually exclusive categories.
It is, it is also essential. But we are lucky to have access to clean water that isn't ridden with disease, it is considered a luxury. I'm speaking from the same perspective as I was with sanitary items.

No. Yes we are lucky, but that does not make clean water a luxury. A luxury good is something that is not a necessity, clean water is most definitely a necessity, thus you are wrong. Look up the definition of a luxury good, you're definition is a bit ridiculous.
The contraceptive pill and condoms are free of charge on the NHS..

That's because it's cheaper for the Government to give people free contraception (as an incentive) instead of having to give benefits, abortions and having to pay for unwanted babies.
When did I say water was not essential? don't put words in my mouth. I said you should consider yourself lucky to have clean water, essentially making it a luxury. Also....you pay a water bill don't you? :rolleyes:

how do you define luxury?

So what? We NEED shelter, we have to pay for that. We NEED food, we have to pay for that. We NEED clothes, we have to pay for that. Just because we have to pay for it, doesn't make it a luxury.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why because I don't take things for granted. Also you didn't reply to my last post addressed to you, I wonder why :rolleyes:

Being lucky you have something does not make it a luxury.

Its really ss simple as that.
Original post by drowzee
No. Yes we are lucky, but that does not make clean water a luxury. A luxury good is something that is not a necessity, clean water is most definitely a necessity, thus you are wrong. Look up the definition of a luxury good, you're definition is a bit ridiculous.

Why are we 'lucky' then? Clean water is a necessity but I fail to understand how it would not be considered a luxury to those who don't have access to it?

Not sure how I'm taking things for granted, when nothing in this world is free

Yes, we may consider ourselves to be lucky that our water system is relatively pure and perhaps may decide to take actions such as limiting our water usage to demonstrate our appreciation, however a luxury is something which adds pleasure or comfort to one's life but isnt absolutely necessary. As I'm sure you're aware without water we would eventually die therefore it most definitely does not fit into this category.
Original post by Anon_98
Yes, we may consider ourselves to be lucky that our water system is relatively pure and perhaps may decide to take actions such as limiting our water usage to demonstrate our appreciation, however a luxury is something which adds pleasure or comfort to one's life but isnt absolutely necessary. As I'm sure you're aware without water we would eventually die therefore it most definitely does not fit into this category.

OMG Anon you posted without "^.^" or "Galileo" or "<3"

:eek4:

r u ok?
Why are we 'lucky' then? Clean water is a necessity but I fail to understand how it would not be considered a luxury to those who don't have access to it?

In economic terms a luxury good is something that is not necessary for living, clean water is a necessity so not a luxury. Why is that too hard to understand? You cannot define something as a luxury if you cannot live without it, that's just absurd and has no logical reasoning behind it. We're lucky because we're not dying from drinking dirty water. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply