The Student Room Group

How often do you revise?

Im in year 10 and i seriously need to start revising i just feel like a faliure at times and just stupid.
How could i overcome this?
I always think low and stupid and dumb of myself even the teachers have noticed i get Bs As. But still ;/
How often do you revise?

Scroll to see replies

You don't revise , but get A's and your stupid? Only on TSR :colonhash:
1-2 per night will get u going
I'm stressing out cos I'm taking it this yr and not predicted A's in everything apart from 2 subject
help
Maybe you're not really sure of what you want to do after GCSE yet
Whaests reveison ?
Reply 5
Don't worry so much. Seriously getting B's and A's at the start of year 10 is amazing!
I'm in year 11 and am currently revising for mocks.. I do about 5 hours a day. :smile: (with breaks in between, obviously.)
Reply 6
I never revised in GCSE and got mainly A*s and As. I did the same in year 12 and got AAAB. Did the same in year 13 and was left with grades too low for my first choice uni and had to go my insurance. Not too happy here and struggling with work as I never developed a proper study mindset. Dont make the same mistake I did, even if you can do well without revising try get yourself into the habit of revising a few nights a week and creating a proper study timetable when exams come around.
The best revision is to do little at a time. Maybe a page or two a day?
Cramming is a bad habbit and avoid learning large contents of information in one go, because you'll most likely forget alot of it.
If you do a page or two a day and learn it properly (and review back on those pages from time to time), by the end of it all the information should all stay and it also avoids the whole stress that comes along with cramming.

ANOTHER TIP; ALWAYS revise for end of topic tests, that way leading upto the actual exam, you already have alot of the exam prep done, so then its just a recap.

(btw take it a little easy, GCSE's aren't too bad.)
(edited 8 years ago)
In year 10 I did last day revision that's all :smile:.
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Not to be a damper on the OP's self-esteem but it's perfectly possible to get As in class tests without revision at GCSE level. I seem to recall one particular GCSE physics exam where I did very little all year (and certainly nothing outside of class), opened my at notes 8 pm the night before the exam, went through them, went to bed at midnight and got an A* in it. :tongue: And I wasn't the only one who could do that either, which does tell me that it was because the exams were easy rather than the grade being the result of any cleverness on my part.

To answer the question in the thread title: I've left school now but, when I did go, I didn't revise quite as much as I should have. You can get away with it at GCSE but trying to learn the whole course in four A Levels 3 - 4 weeks before exams is not fun and, if I could go back, I'd resolve to do better and still probably wouldn't. :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm an Alevel Student doing well and I also tutor GCSE so i have some realistic advise for you.
You're clearly top end if your looking at As and Bs now. If you follow this advise then you'll be looking at As and A* in your GCSEs.
so you should be aiming to do approximately 20 hours a week of homework and revision outside of your timetabled lessons.
Now when you get close to exams you should be dong as much as humanly possible but for the time being about 15 hours should be fine.
these need to be good quality hours, so always before 9 o'clock at night and with no distractions, such as watching TV or chatting while working.
in-order to achieve the results you're aiming for you need to plan out your time. make a time table each week of what you'r doing when then fit revision around it.
while it is important to reach this level of study it is also vital that you don't burn your self out as you still have a long road ahead of you.
if all this seems a little daunting then start to build up your hours increasing them slowly week by week.
drop me a mail if you need further advise I'm always happy to help.
Original post by Hydeman
Not to be a damper on the OP's self-esteem but it's perfectly possible to get As in class tests without revision at GCSE level. I seem to recall one particular GCSE physics exam where I did very little all year (and certainly nothing outside of class), opened my at notes 8 pm the night before the exam, went through them, went to bed at midnight and got an A* in it. :tongue: And I wasn't the only one who could do that either, which does tell me that it was because the exams were easy rather than the grade being the result of any cleverness on my part.

To answer the question in the thread title: I've left school now but, when I did go, I didn't revise quite as much as I should have. You can get away with it at GCSE but trying to learn the whole course in four A Levels 3 - 4 weeks before exams is not fun and, if I could go back, I'd resolve to do better and still probably wouldn't. :lol:

I did pretty much the same for my GCSE exams , still ended up with A-A* in pretty much all of them. But for the majority of people , getting an A is seen as difficult and would require revision.
Original post by Hydeman

Thanks for the support and advice.
And yeah revision is important but some people just love hating.

Dude im in year 10 i havent sat my real exams. In my end of term tests thats what i get its a summary of what we did in class.
Im guessing you dont get those grades and now youve found your hobby? So your just hating on me? Huh carry on mate.
Original post by heyitscraziix
Dude im in year 10 i havent sat my real exams. In my end of term tests thats what i get its a summary of what we did in class.
Im guessing you dont get those grades and now youve found your hobby? So your just hating on me? Huh carry on mate.

No need to get emotional , not hating on you. I was just skeptical of you calling yourself stupid when your not. Although , i assumed those grades were for actual GCSE papers ,
No need to get emotional , not hating on you. I was just skeptical of you calling yourself stupid when your not. Although , i assumed those grades were for actual GCSE papers ,

kl.
I didn't do any revision at all for any subject in my year 10 end of year exams and still got nearly straight A*s, whilst other people in my class would spend hours revising every day since months before the exams and still only got Bs.
It's annoying tbh since now I have zero motivation to revise for my actual GCSEs when I won't do as well as I could if I actually revised but I just can't be bothered to do any work ever- not a great attitude to life- but *shrugs*

You're not stupid/dumb etc. and you shouldn't feel like a failure. Remember that your year 10 grades don't actually count for anything, it's your actual GCSEs that matter. Anyone who gets B's or above for for y10 is easily capable of getting an A* in the GCSE with sufficient work put in :smile:
Original post by mawy
Don't worry so much. Seriously getting B's and A's at the start of year 10 is amazing!
I'm in year 11 and am currently revising for mocks.. I do about 5 hours a day. :smile: (with breaks in between, obviously.)

When are your mocks?
Original post by heyitscraziix
Im in year 10 and i seriously need to start revising i just feel like a faliure at times and just stupid.
How could i overcome this?
I always think low and stupid and dumb of myself even the teachers have noticed i get Bs As. But still ;/
How often do you revise?

i know how you feel, i have no motivation i can feel my grades dropping, the workload is too overwhelming and my sister says if i can't cope with gcse i won't be able to do gcse I'm just really scared so ur not alone :wink:
Original post by mawy

how do you motivate and manage to revise for 5 whole hours in 1 day????
are your mocks next week?? mine are(:

Quick Reply

Latest