The Student Room Group

Leeds Economics vs Loughborough Economics????

Which BSc degree is better and more highly regarded by financial employers? Leeds BSc Economics or Loughborough BSc Economics.

Please reply urgently,

Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student1245
Which BSc degree is better and more highly regarded by financial employers? Leeds BSc Economics or Loughborough BSc Economics.

Please reply urgently,

Thanks,

Hi Student 1245

Economics at Loughborough is very well regarded in the professional industry and as such Loughborough is among the best universities for graduate employment.

99% of our 2014 Economics graduates were in work or further study 6 months after graduating, and earning on average £24,600 as a starting salary. The option to complete a paid year in industry as part of your degree is also a great way to boost your employability.

For more information on the course and its links to the industry, take a look at http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/ug/placement/

To discuss this further you can contact the department directly at [email protected], or on +44 (0)1509 223393.

I hope this helps - good luck with your application, wherever you choose!

Thanks
Amy:smile:

Please reply urgently,

Thanks,

Hey, I'm hoping to do Economics and Russian at Leeds next year. Leeds is the more prestigious university - it's also a Russel Group.

However Loughborough is still a decent university and enjoys good employment stats.

It really comes down to preference, they're both good unis.
A couple of TSR articles to read ..........

Applying for Economics : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

How to Avoid 5 Rejections : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
Reply 4
Original post by jake4198
Hey, I'm hoping to do Economics and Russian at Leeds next year. Leeds is the more prestigious university - it's also a Russel Group.

However Loughborough is still a decent university and enjoys good employment stats.

It really comes down to preference, they're both good unis.

Hi, are you applying through the Access to Leeds Scheme for Economics and Russian?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, are you applying through the Access to Leeds Scheme for Economics and Russian?

Yeah I am. BBB is a nice offer and I'm eligible. How about you?
Reply 6
Yeah I am. BBB is a nice offer and I'm eligible. How about you?

Yeah, it will be ABB for me. I qualify for 3 of the criteria, how about you?
And have you sent it off already?
Yeah, it will be ABB for me. I qualify for 3 of the criteria, how about you?
And have you sent it off already?

I qualify for two of the options on two, and then five and seven.

I haven't sent mine off just yet. I'm hoping to do it the first week back after this holiday.

Is it just Loughborough and Leeds you're applying to?
Reply 8
I qualify for two of the options on two, and then five and seven.

I haven't sent mine off just yet. I'm hoping to do it the first week back after this holiday.

Is it just Loughborough and Leeds you're applying to?

I was thinking about Loughborough but I decided to stick with Leeds since they have this scheme running.
I've sent off my application but not the Access to Leeds Scheme yet.

Applied to Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham, Leeds and Royal Holloway. All for BSc Economics.

Who have you applied for, or thinking about applying to?

Also, what do you mean by qualifying for two of the options on two???
(edited 8 years ago)
I was thinking about Loughborough but I decided to stick with Leeds since they have this scheme running.
I've sent off my application but not the Access to Leeds Scheme yet.

Applied to Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham, Leeds and Royal Holloway. All for BSc Economics.

Who have you applied for, or thinking about applying to?

Also, what do you mean by qualifying for two of the options on two???

I've applied to:

Durham: Economics (already got an offer as I did Supported Progression) ABB
UCL: Economics and Business with East European Studies ABB
Nottingham: Economics with Russian AAA
St Andrews: Economics and Russian AAA
Leeds: Economics and Russian BBB

As good as Durham is, I really didn't like the university. I'd love to go to Leeds or UCL
Reply 10
I've applied to:

As good as Durham is, I really didn't like the university. I'd love to go to Leeds or UCL

hi, have u got a conditional offer from UCL? and does it require four subjects?
I've applied to:

Wait so you got an offer from Warwick which was ABB and an offer from Leeds which was BBB?
I'm thinking of applying for them sort of units but their entry requirements are AAB how does that work?
Original post by SlimShady96
Wait so you got an offer from Warwick which was ABB and an offer from Leeds which was BBB?
I'm thinking of applying for them sort of units but their entry requirements are AAB how does that work?

I come from Middlesbrough (it's a ****hole), therefore I'm eligible for extra consideration.
I come from Middlesbrough (it's a ****hole), therefore I'm eligible for extra consideration.

I'm from clacton, does that mean I am aswell? How do I know and take advantage of this? And what was your current and predicted grades may I ask?
I'm from clacton, does that mean I am aswell? How do I know and take advantage of this? And what was your current and predicted grades may I ask?

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/projectleeds/info/128005/applying/232/postcode_search

Enter your postcode in there.

My predicted grades are AAA in maths, geo and history
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/projectleeds/info/128005/applying/232/postcode_search

Enter your postcode in there.

My predicted grades are AAA in maths, geo and history

Okay thanks, and how comes you want to do economics with Russian?
Okay thanks, and how comes you want to do economics with Russian?

I want to do a language with my degree. I speak German so thought it best to pick up a third language. The entry requirements are lower. Less competitive. Year Abroad. And studying nothing but Russia in AS and A2 history I've grown to love the language and country :smile:

Are you just doing straight economics or minoring in another subject too?
I want to do a language with my degree. I speak German so thought it best to pick up a third language. The entry requirements are lower. Less competitive. Year Abroad. And studying nothing but Russia in AS and A2 history I've grown to love the language and country :smile:

Are you just doing straight economics or minoring in another subject too?

Well I was born in Ukraine but have lived here and been educated here since age 6, I'm doing the same history, politics and Russian A-level.

I wanted to do economics but I failed it by messing up one of the papers last year which won't look good on my application to do economics lol so I'm just settling for international business.

I want to get into either Birmingham or Leeds and do the joint degree with Russian, and I should have an A* in Russian which hopefully will get me into these unis, like you said I'm hoping there's is less competition and my Russian just gets me in even if my other grades are predicted BC and B in an AS. But still a longshot haha
Well I was born in Ukraine but have lived here and been educated here since age 6, I'm doing the same history, politics and Russian A-level.

I wanted to do economics but I failed it by messing up one of the papers last year which won't look good on my application to do economics lol so I'm just settling for international business.

I want to get into either Birmingham or Leeds and do the joint degree with Russian, and I should have an A* in Russian which hopefully will get me into these unis, like you said I'm hoping there's is less competition and my Russian just gets me in even if my other grades are predicted BC and B in an AS. But still a longshot haha

If you look on the Which university website it says 100% of people who applied for Russian/ join honours with/and Russian got an offer - so I'd say you've got a good chance.

An A* in Russian is brilliant by the way.

You should keep an eye on the Access to Leeds scheme and see if you're eligible for it.

Newcastle do International Business Management - and they run a partners programme which results in a lowered offer as well.
Hi, got my offer for Leeds BSc Econ at AAA. Also got an offer for Econ with industrial placement at Exeter at AAB.

Can I still do the Access to Leeds Scheme if i put it as my insurance?

Quick Reply

Latest