The Student Room Group

How hard is A level physics for someone who struggles with maths?

I'm going to be doing an extra year at sixth form to complete my second year of chemistry, and I was thinking of taking an AS in Physics. The problem is I don't want to start it and really struggle, especially as it's an extra subject. Can anyone who has done it/ doing tell me about the difficulty of it.
If you've done well at GCSE Physics, AS physics shouldn't be a major problem. In fact, the papers are very standard, and if you're hardworking enough to go through every past year paper, you're very likely to get at least a B since there are repeated questions. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you
depends on the exam board AQA will be fine for someone who has a decent IQ but if you are thinking of WJEC it will make you considerably miserable
Original post by Emilyjmitchell
depends on the exam board AQA will be fine for someone who has a decent IQ but if you are thinking of WJEC it will make you considerably miserable

No, my school does AQA for GCSE, and OCR for A level.
Original post by djbrowniej19
No, my school does AQA for GCSE, and OCR for A level.

The Maths at AS (though I can only speak on behalf of AQA and Edexcel) is no harder than maybe B grade GCSE algebra. Just be comfortable rearranging equations, using standard form and getting comfortable with prefixes and conversions (ie; milli = x10^-3 and 10g = 0.010 Kg etc)

The more calculation based questions you do the easier it gets as you start to memorise the different arrangements of equations without having to calculate them. Physics is literally just drill questions repeat drill questions repeat.

Also don't underestimate the scientific side, there's some tricky concepts among there, but for me it's a fun and really enjoyable subject so it shouldn't come across as hard work (most of the time anyways).
Original post by FakieJakey
The Maths at AS (though I can only speak on behalf of AQA and Edexcel) is no harder than maybe B grade GCSE algebra. Just be comfortable rearranging equations, using standard form and getting comfortable with prefixes and conversions (ie; milli = x10^-3 and 10g = 0.010 Kg etc)

The more calculation based questions you do the easier it gets as you start to memorise the different arrangements of equations without having to calculate them. Physics is literally just drill questions repeat drill questions repeat.

Also don't underestimate the scientific side, there's some tricky concepts among there, but for me it's a fun and really enjoyable subject so it shouldn't come across as hard work (most of the time anyways).

Ok thanks that's really helpful

Quick Reply