The Student Room Group

Email address format for Ucas?

Hi. If you're creating a new email address for your UCAS application which 3 formats from most to least likely would you choose and why? The options are below.

1) janehill @ gmail
2) jane.hill @ gmail
3) hill.jane @ gmail?
4) hilljane @ gmail?
5) jhill @ gmail?
6) hillj @ gmail?

@gladders @Hurbad @jamestg @xxvine
It really doesn't make a difference unless its [email protected]
Reply 2
Original post by ~Seraphina~
Hi. If you're creating a new email address for your UCAS application which 3 formats from most to least likely would you choose and why? The options are below.

1) janehill @ gmail
2) jane.hill @ gmail
3) hill.jane @ gmail?
4) hilljane @ gmail?
5) jhill @ gmail?
6) hillj @ gmail?

I would do either of the top two, with a preference for the first simply because it looks the most professional
Reply 3
LMAO
that made my day :biggrin: thanks
Original post by Noodlzzz

1) janehill @ gmail
2) jane.hill @ gmail
3) hill.jane @ gmail?
4) hilljane @ gmail?
5) jhill @ gmail?
6) hillj @ gmail?

I think the second one :smile: seems more formal :/
Reply 4
Original post by jamestg
I would do either of the top two, with a preference for the first simply because it looks the most professional

Original post by Hurbad
I think the second one :smile: seems more formal :/

jane.hill has already been taken. I'm left with either [email protected] or [email protected]
Personally. I'd go for [email protected] - surname, first initial. I don't think it matters too much though.
Do you really think that this will actually make ANY difference to the Unis you are applying to ....?

I think you need to stop fussing about trivia - and maybe get on with some revision.
Original post by Noodlzzz

Even that isn't likely to stop you getting an offer (although it might get a giggle from the admissions admin people).

Just make sure you type it in correctly and check it (and the spam/junk folders) regularly....emails going astray or students not reading them is more of a problem than a slightly daft email account.

[although a sensible email address is useful when you come to apply for jobs so it doesn't hurt to set one up now....there's no point in stressing over it]
Reply 8
Original post by PQ

Spoiler

[although a sensible email address is useful when you come to apply for jobs so it doesn't hurt to set one up now....there's no point in stressing over it]

Yes. that was what I had in mind. Unfortunately some thought my post was an invitation to showcase their slapstick comedy or increase their reputation points by virtue of their comedic replies. Thanks anyways.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes. that was what I had in mind. Unfortunately some thought my post was an invitation to showcase their slapstick comedy or increase their reputation points by virtue of their comedic replies. Thanks anyways.

I'd give some very serious thought to editing out these posts if the address you are actually going to choose is one of the ones you have posted on here. We edit out personal details for security reasons.
Reply 10

Full stops with gmail don't exist. [email protected] is exactly the same address as bobsmith@ and even b.o.b.s.m.i.t.h@
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'd give some very serious thought to editing out these posts if the address you are actually going to choose is one of the ones you have posted on here. We edit out personal details for security reasons.

hi. the email name i used in my first post was only an example. thank you very much for asking.
Original post by Juno
Full stops with gmail don't exist. [email protected] is exactly the same address as bobsmith@ and even b.o.b.s.m.i.t.h@

oh i wasn't aware of that tbh. thank you for sharing.
hi. the email name i used in my first post was only an example. thank you very much for asking.

OK, that's fine.
My friends met the admissions tutors at a recent student fair for Southampton, LSE, Imperial and Liverpool. All of them said to have a professional email for my UCAS application. I've just created one and will also use it for professional use.
My friends met the admissions tutors at a recent student fair for Southampton, LSE, Imperial and Liverpool. All of them said to have a professional email for my UCAS application. I've just created one and will also use it for professional use.

Admissions tutors rarely attend UCAS fairs. The staff there are generally recruitment/outreach staff with no direct involvement in admissions.

(Not that it's a bad idea long term but a silly email address will not harm a UCAS application)
Original post by PQ
Admissions tutors rarely attend UCAS fairs. The staff there are generally recruitment/outreach staff with no direct involvement in admissions.

(Not that it's a bad idea long term but a silly email address will not harm a UCAS application)

there was a study in UK fair. perhaps you're right. they might be outreach staff. i'll ask my friends for snapshots of the newspaper article which advertised the event. no promises though. depends on whether my friends are interested to furnish me with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending