The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Does the university help those without A-level maths in Economics-related degrees?

I am thinking of doing Finance and Economics but I do not do A-level maths. Even though it isn't required, i'm worried about being behind and struggling if i do get an offer and join the uni
Hey,

They help a lot!

I am doing Accounting and Finance, which has an economics module (ECON101). They have a lecture every week that just goes through AS and A2 maths for 10 weeks.

They also have MASH (Maths and Stats help) which, I have never been, but I believe is a 1 to 1 session with someone who can help :smile:.

Though, I must say, even with this I am still struggling on the maths part lol.

hope this helps
(edited 8 years ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Yellow2914
Hey,

They help a lot!

I am doing Accounting and Finance, which has an economics module (ECON101). They have a lecture every week that just goes through AS and A2 maths for 10 weeks.

They also have MASH (Maths and Stats help) which, I have never been, but I believe is a 1 to 1 session with someone who can help :smile:.

Though, I must say, even with this I am still struggling on the maths part lol.

hope this helps

Hi thanks for your reply. I am unsure on whether to do finance and economics or accounting and finance at Lancaster. I want to be an accountant; however, I want to open more doors to other jobs in the financial sector. My maths skills are good but not the best as I do not do it at A-level. What degree would you recommend?
Original post by KSIOlajideBT
Hi thanks for your reply. I am unsure on whether to do finance and economics or accounting and finance at Lancaster. I want to be an accountant; however, I want to open more doors to other jobs in the financial sector. My maths skills are good but not the best as I do not do it at A-level. What degree would you recommend?

I think my response is going to be biased, as I study Accounting and Finance.

I can tell you that you choose a minor at Lancaster, and if you choose Accounting and Finance, you must also take economics, although the detail you do is far less than somebody studying economics as their major.

I have modules in Accounting, Economics and Management Science, so I feel that I have a lot of doors open due to the scope of the degree they offer. They also have a year in industry, so you can get good experience before you leave.

I would say that Accounting is easier than economics if you have not got an A level maths as well. I am doing the Economics minor and I struggle with the maths, I did AS maths, therefore I am sure the major is much harder.

Look into the EY scholarship degree program too, that is what I am currently doing. This will give you not only scholarship payments, but also a year experience is a Big 4 accounting firm. Even if you do not want to go into accounting, a year working with EY is a fantastic opportunity.

Kind regards
I think my response is going to be biased, as I study Accounting and Finance.

I can tell you that you choose a minor at Lancaster, and if you choose Accounting and Finance, you must also take economics, although the detail you do is far less than somebody studying economics as their major.

I have modules in Accounting, Economics and Management Science, so I feel that I have a lot of doors open due to the scope of the degree they offer. They also have a year in industry, so you can get good experience before you leave.

I would say that Accounting is easier than economics if you have not got an A level maths as well. I am doing the Economics minor and I struggle with the maths, I did AS maths, therefore I am sure the major is much harder.

Look into the EY scholarship degree program too, that is what I am currently doing. This will give you not only scholarship payments, but also a year experience is a Big 4 accounting firm. Even if you do not want to go into accounting, a year working with EY is a fantastic opportunity.

Kind regards

I definitely want to get into accounting but I'm worried that I might change my mind a few years down the line. Accounting and finance doesn't limit you to being an accountant right? What other jobs can you do with this degree?
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what grade did you get in GCSE maths?
I definitely want to get into accounting but I'm worried that I might change my mind a few years down the line. Accounting and finance doesn't limit you to being an accountant right? What other jobs can you do with this degree?
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what grade did you get in GCSE maths?

I got an A at GCSE maths.

Accounting and Finance will not limit you to just accounting. A lot of people here want to do other jobs. You also have the option to change your degree by picking different modules, or swap into financial if you didn't like accounting.
I got an A at GCSE maths.

Accounting and Finance will not limit you to just accounting. A lot of people here want to do other jobs. You also have the option to change your degree by picking different modules, or swap into financial if you didn't like accounting.

Thanks for replying! I have looked at the EY scholarship and it does seem like something I would love to do. Do you know of any other programs like this for other top universities or is this sort of thing only for Lancaster and the other unis involved in EY?
Thanks for replying! I have looked at the EY scholarship and it does seem like something I would love to do. Do you know of any other programs like this for other top universities or is this sort of thing only for Lancaster and the other unis involved in EY?

there are other ones, and EY does them at Lancaster, Bath and Warwick.

The other firms have similar programs, but in my opinion, they are worse. The EY degree gives you the full university experience as well as a head start in accountancy.
there are other ones, and EY does them at Lancaster, Bath and Warwick.

The other firms have similar programs, but in my opinion, they are worse. The EY degree gives you the full university experience as well as a head start in accountancy.

Ok thanks a lot for the help you've been giving me! Last question, what other popular/highly rated jobs can you do with this degree?
Ok thanks a lot for the help you've been giving me! Last question, what other popular/highly rated jobs can you do with this degree?

Not too sure,

I know a lot of people say they want to go into finance or investment banking. A lot want to be an accountant.

I am not sure how good accounting and finance is for investment though, I know a lot of people could recommend a better subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending