The Student Room Group

Cars are the among worst inventions of all time

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Some idiot trying to save the world by hating cars
Reply 21
Original post by djmans
I guess no one here is a car guy, and banning them would not stop anything. Useless post

Dunno about that... I've had 70+ cars in the last 11 years, do i qualify?
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Not really, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, since trains are considerably faster than cars.

Yh but you have to pay everytime you use a train and at this rate, fares are ridiculous
did you fail your test fam?
Agreed.:cute: If it were up to me, modern cars would be banned and everyone would have to use horses and carriages, bikes, trains, trams, buses or old fashioned cars.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Agreed.:cute: If it were up to me, modern cars would be banned and everyone would have to use horses and carriages, bikes, trains, trams, buses or old fashioned cars.

And everyone would live in squalor as the economy collapsed and goods (including sufficient food supplies) could no longer be transported to the regions that need them.
Original post by Friar Chris
And everyone would live in squalor as the economy collapsed and goods (including sufficient food supplies) could no longer be transported to the regions that need them.

But the horsies:sad:

Trains can't transport goods?

You tell 'im, sir

Not direct to destination; nor beyond large regional depots which rely on fleets of motor vehicles to distribute the stock to the settlements around those large regions in a timely manner. Plus, you'd be shifting so much extra workload onto the train network as a result that it'd be wholly over-capacity and unable to cope even if that wasn't a consideration.
Not direct to destination; nor beyond large regional depots which rely on fleets of motor vehicles to distribute the stock to the settlements around those large regions in a timely manner. Plus, you'd be shifting so much extra workload onto the train network as a result that it'd be wholly over-capacity and unable to cope even if that wasn't a consideration.

We could run many more trains than we do currently. Fleets of motor vehicles covering short distances, using trains for large hauls, is much more efficient than using motor vehicles everywhere, ignoring the costs of the depots.
Reply 31
We could run many more trains than we do currently. Fleets of motor vehicles covering short distances, using trains for large hauls, is much more efficient than using motor vehicles everywhere, ignoring the costs of the depots.

Or invest the millions spent doing that into renewable energy and more efficient cars.
I assume you live in a city, in which case it must be easy to think that you don't need cars. Go live in a rural area and you will see that it's a necessity.
Animal agriculture produces more greenhouse gases than all of Earth's cars, trucks, trains, ships, aircraft and other transport combined.

So you want to make a difference, start there.

watch cowspiracy everyone, it's on netflix, the main reason no organisation will respond to this issue is because it conflicts with their way of life, the masses aren't willing to change, but science doesn't lie and soon people will need to do something.

Original post by Tooly
Or invest the millions spent doing that into renewable energy and more efficient cars.
I assume you live in a city, in which case it must be easy to think that you don't need cars. Go live in a rural area and you will see that it's a necessity.

My friend, I do live in a rural area. In a tiny village, half an hours drive from any services whatsoever. To get any goods at all, I have to take an hour round trip, whereas if I lived in a city, I could just take a 5 minute walk to pretty much everything, as you say.

But did you not read the OP? I suggested forcing complete urbanisation. Leave rural areas for wildlife and farms, and have tall cities for mankind.
Reply 34
My friend, I do live in a rural area. In a tiny village, half an hours drive from any services whatsoever. To get any goods at all, I have to take an hour round trip, whereas if I lived in a city, I could just take a 5 minute walk to pretty much everything, as you say.

But did you not read the OP? I suggested forcing complete urbanisation. Leave rural areas for wildlife and farms, and have tall cities for mankind.

I did read it but we are past the point of being able to do that as it's just not feasible. It's wishful thinking, unfortunately.
Original post by Tooly
I did read it but we are past the point of being able to do that as it's just not feasible. It's wishful thinking, unfortunately.

I know, we don't live in an ideal society.

All my rants either assume people give a damn about humanity and progress, or complain that they don't :redface:

Original post by selfteaching
Animal agriculture produces more greenhouse gases than all of Earth's cars, trucks, trains, ships, aircraft and other transport combined.So you want to make a difference, start there.watch cowspiracy everyone, it's on netflix, the main reason no organisation will respond to this issue is because it conflicts with their way of life, the masses aren't willing to change, but science doesn't lie and soon people will need to do something.

That's rant material

Thanks
Reply 36

Do you think that companies love to chuck money away? Companies are already doing that. They are already choosing the most economically efficient route, which is often the most fuel efficient as well.

Ah, so your whole idea is based on mass forced migration on an unfathomable scale. Good luck.
The straw men in this thread :facepalm:
Was going to post my own rant, but this guy summarises it nicely:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142043

If we care so much about the environment, why not ban cars entirely, and have a good network of public transport? It works in many European cities. People in rural areas need cars you say? Move them to cities. Trains are prone to union action? They don't need human drivers any more.

Ever since the invention of the car, population density in cities in the West has decreased. Infrastructure built for cars reduced space for human habitation and services in cities. A thousand people making the same journey in cars spews out more pollution, and takes up more space, than the same number of people in buses, or trains.

At the moment we are targeting industry with emission cuts, at huge cost to society, but we could instead ban cars; imagine the fall in emissions.

Force people to move to cities? Sounds like the cure is worse than the disease.

Cars will soon be electric anyway.
Reply 39
Original post by selfteaching

Bull**** poster.
660 gallons of non processed water, in a place where water is in abundance =/= 660 gallons of processed water in a place where water isn't in abundance.
Useful 'waste' from 2500 dairy cows =/= actual waste from 411000 people.

Bull**** facts only belittle legitimate campaigns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending