The Student Room Group

How to get a placement shadowing an audiologist?

The title says it all. I've phoned up like specsavers (since they have the hearing aid department) and a few other places similar to that. but they all say no

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by honeylooloo
The title says it all. I've phoned up like specsavers (since they have the hearing aid department) and a few other places similar to that. but they all say no

Hello! I've moved this into the careers forum now, you should get more replies here. Good luck with your placement! :h:
You could see if the universities you are applying to arrange open days at places with audiologists. This is just an idea as I am applying for radiography and I have booked onto clinical open days organised by a university because I found it hard to find a placement too.

I was in the same position as however, after ringing all the hearing aid shops and specsavers I got a place.

Only one specsavers shop said yes the rest apparently don't do it! Also , got a place to shadow a hospital audiologist dunno whether to go or not
Reply 5
Original post by Uz25
I was in the same position as however, after ringing all the hearing aid shops and specsavers I got a place.

Only one specsavers shop said yes the rest apparently don't do it! Also , got a place to shadow a hospital audiologist dunno whether to go or not

you should definitely go! It is a great opportunity
you should definitely go! It is a great opportunity

I suppose so:smile: . Erm what uni courses r u applying for ?
Reply 7
Original post by Uz25
I suppose so:smile: . Erm what uni courses r u applying for ?

audiology, you?
audiology, you?

Either Dietetics/Audiology :smile: I really want to apply for both if the audiology placement goes well :smile:.

What do you do during a placement?
Reply 9
Original post by Uz25
Either Dietetics/Audiology :smile: I really want to apply for both if the audiology placement goes well :smile:.

What do you do during a placement?

I haven't got a placement/showing opportunity yet unfortunately. I'm trying to look for one but it's proving to be very difficult
I haven't got a placement/showing opportunity yet unfortunately. I'm trying to look for one but it's proving to be very difficult

Do u live in notts? Are u planning to go to DMU?.
Original post by Uz25
Do u live in notts? Are u planning to go to DMU?.

nope, i'm hoping to get into manchester or aston
nope, i'm hoping to get into manchester or aston

What made you choose this course?
Original post by Uz25
What made you choose this course?

I've probably considered every single course under the sun related to healthcare professions, but I find Audiology to be the most unique and frankly the only course I liked from visiting the open days. I just found it super interesting. Also it's a growing profession and the need for audiologists in the future should (soon) be HUGE.
and you?
I've probably considered every single course under the sun related to healthcare professions, but I find Audiology to be the most unique and frankly the only course I liked from visiting the open days. I just found it super interesting. Also it's a growing profession and the need for audiologists in the future should (soon) be HUGE.
and you?

Lol! I'm the same! I checked through ALL the healthcare professions and science related degrees. After narrowing down the courses i'm down to Audiology and Dietetics. Unfortunately, there are a lack of jobs, plus we can't estimate what job will be in demand in 3/4 years time. Therefore, my aim is to shadow an Audiologist and a Hospital Dietician (again). If i enjoy both i'll try to link both in! If that's not possible then i'll have to choose one.

I use to consider Speech and language therapy but that's not for me. Likewise, i considered Biomedical science and Biochemistry but their lab based :frown:.

I've only got 6 weeks left till my Ucas College deadline! I need to get a move on.
Original post by Uz25
Lol! I'm the same! I checked through ALL the healthcare professions and science related degrees. After narrowing down the courses i'm down to Audiology and Dietetics. Unfortunately, there are a lack of jobs, plus we can't estimate what job will be in demand in 3/4 years time. Therefore, my aim is to shadow an Audiologist and a Hospital Dietician (again). If i enjoy both i'll try to link both in! If that's not possible then i'll have to choose one.

I use to consider Speech and language therapy but that's not for me. Likewise, i considered Biomedical science and Biochemistry but their lab based :frown:.

I've only got 6 weeks left till my Ucas College deadline! I need to get a move on.

I considered optometry/biomed/biochem etc. but they're all just meh. Let me know how shadowing the audiologist goes, it's quite fascinating.
I then narrowed my options down to paediatric science, radiology and audiology.
Right now i think i'm swaying towards audiology
I considered optometry/biomed/biochem etc. but they're all just meh. Let me know how shadowing the audiologist goes, it's quite fascinating.
I then narrowed my options down to paediatric science, radiology and audiology.
Right now i think i'm swaying towards audiology

Aww! i will :smile:

I use to consider, Primary education, pharmacy,optometry, biosciences
Then
Primary education, secondary education
Then
Speech lang therapy, Audiology, Radiography and Dietetics

Now i've decided it's either Audiology / Dietetics or even both if possible! I'm also ganna apply for Biomedical science and Biochem for backup
Original post by Uz25
Aww! i will :smile:

I use to consider, Primary education, pharmacy,optometry, biosciences
Then
Primary education, secondary education
Then
Speech lang therapy, Audiology, Radiography and Dietetics

Now i've decided it's either Audiology / Dietetics or even both if possible! I'm also ganna apply for Biomedical science and Biochem for backup

why did you decide not to go along with radiography?
why did you decide not to go along with radiography?

They only take images of the insides of the Human body via X ray etc. They can't really annotate it. I find that very boring.

Plus even tho u are safe from Xrays i don't wanna take a risk especially, since i've got skin problems.

Why did u not go along with Radiography?
Original post by Uz25
They only take images of the insides of the Human body via X ray etc. They can't really annotate it. I find that very boring.

Plus even tho u are safe from Xrays i don't wanna take a risk especially, since i've got skin problems.

Why did u not go along with Radiography?

Along with the same reasons you said and plus the university that's the closest to me that offers the course, isn't very good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending