The Student Room Group

Sanitary items as luxuries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
x

I usually agree with and respect a lot of what you say, but your understanding of a luxury seems redundant.

By your logic, everything is a luxury and anything that can be bought should be taxed.

A line must be drawn between what is luxurious and what is an unrealised necessity in the eyes of an African child. A Versace handbag and a glass of water are two very different things; one we can live without and one we will die without. Just because an African child equally has no access to both, does not make them the same kind of luxury. One should be taxed and the other shouldn't. I do not need a handbag to lead a comfortable, hygienic life, but I do water; and I do tampons.
Something sounds wrong about a "Luxury Tampon". Doesn't ring well does it?
Original post by marco14196
Something sounds wrong about a "Luxury Tampon". Doesn't ring well does it?
Not unless it's an 8% cashmere tampon from the Waitrose Essentials line.
Original post by StrangeBanana
On average, how many tampons and/or pads do you use per month?

6-8 a day depending on flow.

A pack has around 14 - 20 pads and a cycle can last from 3-7 days, average of 5. Mine lasts 4-5 days
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s

A pack has around 14 - 20 pads and a cycle can last from 3-7 days, average of 5. Mine lasts 4-5 days

Too much information already...

I swear if someone asked how many times their bum was wiped, after each poo, as part of a discussion on the subject of toilet tissue cost, another poster on TSR would earnestly answer...

Five or six depending on jobby flow. :s-smilie:
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Tampon-tax is catchy! :tongue:

But seriously, how are tampons a luxury? :confused: Do they want women to bleed on the streets? I think that would be a funny way to protest. :biggrin:

Spoiler

How much does a pack of them cost?

Original post by OU Student
Bit personal

Oh, come off it, I didn't ask her what her periods feel like, I'm just trying to get a sense of how expensive it is.
(edited 8 years ago)
I haven't read all the comments on this thread, but I do hope the EU angle has been mentioned, so far?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34645179

We can't have cheaper tampons in this country, because we can't remove the tax unless all 28 nations agree.

This is just a minor issue, it is when we get to the utter failure to respond to millions of migrants, or the bankruptcy of Greece that the dysfunction of the EU decision making process and lack of national sovereignty really start to matter

Sorry girls anyway...
Original post by chocolate hottie
Too much information already...

I swear if someone asked how many times their bum was wiped, after each poo, as part of a discussion on the subject of toilet tissue cost, another poster on TSR would earnestly answer...

Five or six depending on jobby flow. :s-smilie:

Oh, Grow up.
Someone asked me, so I answered.
Oh, Grow up.
Someone asked me, so I answered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Women lose that much blood during menstruation :eek:?6-8 changes a day!
I'm going to step in here for @TheonlyMrsHolmes

Certain things like sanitary items, clean water and 24"7 electricity supply are definitely luxuries in third world countries. In the sense that people here can survive without clean water or electricity or sanitary items. Where I live people have developed an immunity to things like typhoid and cholera. If in a rare situation there is very clean water it is considered luxurious. In rural areas people are happy to drink the water from streams. They have to or else they'll become dehydrated. Infact sometimes people will save the clean water they have for special occasions like important guests coming over.
When there is electricity it is considered luxurious because no one is used to having stable electricity.
I'm lucky enough to be relatively middle class and I still am practically immune to malaria.

Things like clean water and sanitary pads might be basic necesities in the west but we can certainly live without them here.
Don't think of it as luxury as in versace clothes but as thingssome people are lucky to have.
Maybe luxury isn't the best word anyway
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
How much does a pack of them cost?

Oh, come off it, I didn't ask her what her periods feel like, I'm just trying to get a sense of how expensive it is.

I use always & I'm assuming most people use them (popular brand) and they cost around £2.50- £3 and have about 20 in a pack. Body form are cheaper, around £1.50 a pack but they're much thinner so I guess people with a lighter flow use them, people with a heavier flow will have to change more often. Sorry if any of that was TMI :smile:

Btw, periods feel like someone is literally poking my uterus with a very sharp object from the inside and there's nothing I can do about it, ah fun times
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
I'm going to step in here for @TheonlyMrsHolmes

Certain things like sanitary items, clean water and 24"7 electricity supply are definitely luxuries in third world countries. In the sense that people here can survive without clean water or electricity or sanitary items. Where I live people have developed an immunity to things like typhoid and cholera. If in a rare situation there is very clean water itis considered luxurious. In rural areas people are happy to drink the water from streams. They have to or else they'll become dehydrated. Infact sometimes people will save the clean water they have for special occasions like important guests coming over.
When there is electricity it is considered luxurious because no one is used to having stable electricity.
I'm lucky enough to be relatively middle class and I still am practically immune to malaria.

Things like clean water and sanitary pads might be basic necesities in the west but we can certainly live without them here.

Thank you for understanding my initial point. I don't care if they don't agree or respect my opinion(It's not even an opinion really...).This was the point I was trying to make.
Do you agree with the tax on female sanitary items? I think it's absolutely ridiculous. They are essential for us females for at least 30years of our lives so why should we be taxed? I'm sure most girls would agree that we'd much rather not have periods and still be fertile, but that's not our choice. Sanitary towels and tampons are already expensive, they should be lowering the price, not increase the price by adding tax.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/theres-nothing-luxurious-about-my-periods-so-why-is-the-government-taxing-tampons-as-if-there-is-10045629.html

Well if they go through with it we can protest by getting a load of menstruating women to sit on public buses not wearing the sanitary products and ruin all the seats
Original post by chocolate hottie
I haven't read all the comments on this thread, but I do hope the EU angle has been mentioned, so far?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34645179

We can't have cheaper tampons in this country, because we can't remove the tax unless all 28 nations agree.

This is just a minor issue, it is when we get to the utter failure to respond to millions of migrants, or the bankruptcy of Greece that the dysfunction of the EU decision making process and lack of national sovereignty really start to matter

Sorry girls anyway...

I hope I explained this angle at page 1, post 19. I wouldn't attribute it to a lack of national sovereignty. Despite being a member of the EU, I think (at the risk of starting a tangent) that Parliament's sovereignty remains intact. Indeed, its precisely because of continued national sovereignty, in part, that the EU is unable to address the tax and the other issues you've referred to; national sovereignty imposes competence limits on the EU and prohibits it from taking unilateral leadership on any issue, as, instead, reference must be made to all (or at least a qualified majority of) its members.
Do you agree with the tax on female sanitary items? I think it's absolutely ridiculous. They are essential for us females for at least 30years of our lives so why should we be taxed? I'm sure most girls would agree that we'd much rather not have periods and still be fertile, but that's not our choice. Sanitary towels and tampons are already expensive, they should be lowering the price, not increase the price by adding tax.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/theres-nothing-luxurious-about-my-periods-so-why-is-the-government-taxing-tampons-as-if-there-is-10045629.html

The stupidity behind your arguments.

All food is a necessity, and I could argue that I need various types of food, and therefore all food should be tax free.

There will always be items that should technically be tax free, as there will always be an item that is more important to humans that all the other taxed items. You have to stop eventually, and stopping at a point that removes luxury items, such as tampons, is one of many fair points to stop. Humans have survived for millenniums before the invention of these super tampons. Humans (well, women) just used any old cloth until very lately this mass production of these overly comfy etc etc things to help.

They should just make cheap cloth tax free, and that can be used. But I bet there would be an outrage about that. Oh no you need your super comfy version. Yet, that's blatantly luxury. Anything that gets the job done is all you need, anything beyond that is luxury.

Also I think the thing people forget is how items are chosen to be tax-free or not. It's only partly to do with how necessary they are. Things such as waste created when making them, income of firms for selling them, etc etc all are considered.

I'm sure you can live without these state of the art tampons, if the government offered free cheap cloth for everyone with a vagina I guarantee you'd all moan.
Original post by ILovePancakes
I usually agree with and respect a lot of what you say, but your understanding of a luxury seems redundant.

By your logic, everything is a luxury and anything that can be bought should be taxed.

A line must be drawn between what is luxurious and what is an unrealised necessity in the eyes of an African child. A Versace handbag and a glass of water are two very different things; one we can live without and one we will die without. Just because an African child equally has no access to both, does not make them the same kind of luxury. One should be taxed and the other shouldn't. I do not need a handbag to lead a comfortable, hygienic life, but I do water; and I do tampons.

I actually don't even slightly care that you don't respect what I have said. I literally cannot be bothered to try and make you understand what I was trying to say. Enjoy your reps (given to you by users who couldn't take the time out to actually understand from what perspective I was speaking from).

Whatever. This is enough TSR 'debating' for one day.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Women lose that much blood during menstruation :eek:?6-8 changes a day!

We don't actually lose that much blood. I believe its around 4-8 teaspoons but there's also a lot of other icky stuff to make it look like more
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
Well if they go through with it we can protest by getting a load of menstruating women to sit on public buses not wearing the sanitary products and ruin all the seats

That's just stupidly childish.

Use a bloody peice of cheap cloth. You don't need these overly comfy and state of the art mass produced versions, just use some cloth.
Original post by ILovePancakes

You don't need tampons. You need something to soak up the mess, and clean it up. I.e some cloth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending