The Student Room Group

What are the advantages of being average looking?

Are they more for guys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's hard for guys regardless of looks. Most men are gonna have a very high sex drive for 35+ years, which is good but not when many women want you to only make love to one person at a time
Reply 2
Original post by Jawline?
I think it's hard for guys regardless of looks. Most men are gonna have a very high sex drive for 35+ years, which is good but not when many women want you to only make love to one person at a time

Don't get into a relationship then
An advantage of being average looking? You'll know that they like you for more than just your appearance, so it weeds out most shallow people :h:
Original post by RiotGirll
Are they more for guys?

Not hot enough to get constant unwanted attention, not unattractive enough to have a really hard time finding a partner if desired. :lol:

One could also argue that it's the easiest state to be, given the issues with body image that a lot of people have, particularly girls -- if you're used to having your looks praised, it's likely that one adverse comment or even perceived slights can be detrimental to your mental health. Same thing with unattractive people but they're more likely to have these problems because of bullying, I'd imagine.

That said, it's probably entirely incorrect to talk about attractive/average/unattractive as terms that we can actually use to class people given how subjective that area is. :tongue:
Original post by Hydeman
Not hot enough to get constant unwanted attention, not unattractive enough to have a really hard time finding a partner if desired. :lol:

One could also argue that it's the easiest state to be, given the issues with body image that a lot of people have, particularly girls -- if you're used to having your looks praised, it's likely that one adverse comment or even perceived slights can be detrimental to your mental health. Same thing with unattractive people but they're more likely to have these problems because of bullying, I'd imagine.

That said, it's probably entirely incorrect to talk about attractive/average/unattractive as terms that we can actually use to class people given how subjective that area is. :tongue:

Nice way to sum it all up :smile:
Women who are average looking are more approachable and therefore more likely to find partners in my opinion.
Most people are average looking and manage to get more than enough or at least an adequate amount of sex. And most of them find partners too, so this really isn't a big a deal as many make it out to be.

I guess the obvious advantage is not getting tonnes of unwanted attention all the time.
Reply 8
Original post by RiotGirll
Don't get into a relationship then

Most women won't give sex unless you're in one. So that's pretty much impossible.
Why would something that's inferior have any advantages? Being average looking doesn't have any advantages because it's a disadvantage.
Why don't you tell me?
the advantage would be people take you more seriously, if you're super attractive, people will assume you coasted by in life on your looks and have been treated differently, being an average looking person gives you more... credibility? meh

i'm happy being average looking : D
As another poster put it, one can't really separate people into 3 neat little boxes of 'attractive', 'average' and 'unattractive'. It's far too restrictive and doesn't admit of degrees or any nuance. I mean all one has to look at are the little arguments that break out over which celebrities are more attractive. Many people say Brad Pitt is attractive, yet there are others who 'don't see it', or think he's just average.
As others have said average women are more approachable... also when I've been with 'hotter' women I'm always a little paranoid I'm only with them for their looks, I'm much more likely to be less forgiving of personality flaws with less attractive women, but at the same time feel that they may be more genuine of nerdy hobbies etc (damn you sexist gamergirl stereotype!!!!).

That being said for men I feel it's a disadvantage, the amount of women who think they're gods gift because they made out with a good looking bloke one time is just mind boggling. Then again I'm really struggling on the lady front atm so I might just be being bitter :biggrin:
I'm too handsome to answer the above question
As opposed to being attractive, none.
one advantage is that you won't intimidate people with awesome personalities but not the absolute best looks. Or even just shyer people in general or insecure people (who are actually beautiful) won't be as intimidated with you.
I'm pretty sure average girls are asked out more often. They look less intimidating and people are less likely to make unfair assumptions about them.
I guess an advantage is that you're not a 0...
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I'm pretty sure average girls are asked out more often. They look less intimidating and people are less likely to make unfair assumptions about them.

Haaaa. Beat you to it :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending