The Student Room Group

Applying for Medicine 2017

I am thinking about applying for Medicine in 2 years. My gcse results were OK and I expect my a levels to meet the entry requirements. I am helping out in an elderly care home and help out in math classes and science club and attend lectures.

Do I have to get work experience at a clinical hospital? And is there anything other than grades or work experience needed to stand a good chance of getting in? Thanks
Reply 1
No, you don't have to but it's good for you personally so you can experience hospital life and if it is best for you.I have had friends who underwent work experience in hospital and immediately changed their minds into applying because the hospital is a very stressful place
Reply 2
Original post by h.osman
No, you don't have to but it's good for you personally so you can experience hospital life and if it is best for you.I have had friends who underwent work experience in hospital and immediately changed their minds into applying because the hospital is a very stressful place

Thanks, I've been trying everywhere to get some work experience in a hospital and there's no places available and I was freaking out. Did you get into medical school? And, if you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get?
Original post by Yesitisi
I am thinking about applying for Medicine in 2 years. My gcse results were OK and I expect my a levels to meet the entry requirements. I am helping out in an elderly care home and help out in math classes and science club and attend lectures.

Do I have to get work experience at a clinical hospital? And is there anything other than grades or work experience needed to stand a good chance of getting in? Thanks

Compulsory hospital experience is a myth, but it is helpful as it can solidify that decision of doing medicine in your mind. The most important thing is what you GAIN form the experience otherwise its pretty much useless as you cant really talk about what you've learned. Aside from focusing on your A-Levels and trying to get as good a UMS as possible you will have to do the BMAT or UKCAT depending on what unis you wana apply for (BMAT is oxbridge, ucl, imperial and leeds i think). Wider reading also helps you stand out, but it isnt obligatory. There isnt much point worrying about it now though because you have plenty of time. I wanna do medicine as well and ive just been told to focus on my grades for now because that is the main factor for most unis ( not all of them though) Good luck :smile:
Original post by Yesitisi

Hi Yesitisi,

We'd definitely recommend doing more work experience if you can! It really helps to make your application to medical school stand out, and shows universities that you are committed to becoming a qualified medic. Plus, it will give you loads to talk about in your personal statement and interviews.

You said you have already tried to get a hospital placement but have had no such luck. Keep trying! Spaces could open up. Do you know anyone who works in a hospital? If you do, get in contact with them and see if they can help you out. Alternatively, you could try going through your school careers department, or science teachers. Ask them if they can connect you with anyone. Also, you can get in touch with your local NHS trust and ask them for advice. Try this link to an A-Z list of all NHS Trusts in the UK to help you find yours: http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/pages/caretrustlisting.aspx

You could also try asking your local GP to connect to with someone. For confidentiality reasons, you can't work with your own GP but they may be able to help you find another GP willing to help.

Keep up the good work volunteering at the elderly care home. Some applicants do volunteer work like that for 6 - 18 months. The work you've done there will look good on your application, so don't worry if you really struggle to find hospital or GP placements.

You can find lots more information about work experience on our website here.We hope this helps - good luck!

TMP
Reply 5
Hey, has anybody considered or heard of MedSim and MedLink at Nottingham Uni? Apparently they are really good fun and useful but I dont know whether they are as valuable as traditional work experience :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by tessa332
Hey, has anybody considered or heard of MedSim and MedLink at Nottingham Uni? Apparently they are really good fun and useful but I dont know whether they are as valuable as traditional work experience :smile:

Hey, MedLink just basically gives you a taste of what it'll be like studying medicine at uni with a few tips on the application process (stuff you could get off the internet really). It's definitely not a substitute for work experience. I didn't go and I don't feel I missed out! But that's just my personal opinion of course! I'd probably recommend it though if you're not sure if you want to medicine as it could help i suppose :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending