The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance of getting into these unis?

Hey guys!

I know this thread is another one of those 'can I get in with these grades', but I want to be realistic and make sure I am not setting myself up for disappointment.

Here are my university choices:

1st Choice- University of Bath- MSci Psychology (5 years)
2nd Choice- St Andrews- MA Psychology (4 years)
3rd Choice- University of Bristol MSci Psychology (4 years)
4th Choice- University of Edinburgh MA Psychology (4 years)
5th Choice- University of Exeter- MSci Psychology (4 years) OR Durham University- Psychology applied (3 years)

My Academic profile:

GCSE: 6*, 2 A's, 3 B's (had to re-take GCSE Mathematics from a C to an A grade)

A-Levels: 3 A* (Sociology, Politics and French), 1 A (Psychology) and 1 B (English Lit). Predicted an A at Biology AS

I am taking a gap year to volunteer abroad for mental health and teaching projects (January to March and July to August). During my gap year I will be studying Biology AS as I lack a scientific background for Psychology.

Am I aiming too high or do I have a solid chance of getting unconditional/conditional offers at the universities of my choice especially Bath and St Andrews in particular.

Also do I need a strong background in science to study a MSci Psychology courses?
Original post by Parasite
Hey guys!

I know this thread is another one of those 'can I get in with these grades', but I want to be realistic and make sure I am not setting myself up for disappointment.

5th Choice- University of Exeter- MSci Psychology (4 years) OR Durham University- Psychology applied (3 years)

My Academic profile:

A-Levels: 3 A* (Sociology, Politics and French), 1 A (Psychology) and 1 B (English Lit). Predicted an A at Biology AS

I am taking a gap year to volunteer abroad for mental health and teaching projects (January to March and July to August). During my gap year I will be studying Biology AS as I lack a scientific background for Psychology.

Am I aiming too high or do I have a solid chance of getting unconditional/conditional offers at the universities of my choice especially Bath and St Andrews in particular.

Also do I need a strong background in science to study a MSci Psychology courses?

Sorry, but no-one can read the minds of who's reading your application. That being said, it's almost impossible that you won't get one of those with your grades. Best of luck! :smile:
So you got 6 A*s at GCSE, A*A*A*AB for A level and you don't think you can get into any of those unis...you're either retarded or just bragging. :troll:
Hey guys!

My Academic profile:

You could've applied for Oxbridge with those results! Congrats and good luck :smile:
Reply 4
I'm not trolling. I had to re-take Mathematics and my unit 1 Psychology AS exam. I also didn't do great at AS and worked my ass off. I was also told by my school that universities do not view re-takes in a positive light and may even choose candidates with A*AA who have achieved these grades in one sitting. Also these universities are extremely competitive and rely on the personal statement regardless of the grades as there are other students who have achieved outstandingly. The UCAS advisor at my Sixth Form is not helpful.

Lastly most universities for Psychology, in particular, demand two science subjects studied at a-level and I only have one... psychology. It's not about bragging but universities look at different criteria and I was hoping someone could explain whether I am suitable for the MSci Psychology course especially as I lack the scientific background. MA or standard Psychology are courses I know I can apply for, however the MSci course is slightly different. I was hoping someone could either explain MSci psychology or at least tell me if I can apply regardless of not having studied 2 or more science subjects (Mathematics, biology, chemistry you get the gist....)
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not trolling. I had to re-take Mathematics and My unit 1 Psychology AS exam. I also didn't do great at AS and worked my ass off. I was also told by my school that universities do not view re-takes in a positive light and may even choose candidates with A*AA who have achieved these grades in one sitting. Also these universities are extremely competitive and rely on the personal statement regardless of the grades as there are other students who have achieved outstandingly. The UCAS advisor at my Sixth Form is not helpful.

Lastly most universities for Psychology, in particular, demand two science subjects studied at a-level and I only have one... psychology. It's not about bragging but universities look at different criteria and I was hoping someone could explain whether I am suitable for the MSci Psychology course especially as I lack the scientific background. MA or standard Psychology are courses I know I can apply for, however the MSci course is slightly different. I was hoping someone could either explain MSci psychology or at least tell me if I can apply regardless of not having studied 2 or more science subjects (Mathematics, biology, chemistry you get the gist....)

Ohh right! Okay... Psychology is classed as a 'relevant Science A2' by some universities, and I retook the whole of year 12 and still have 2 offers so far. You'll be fine, try not to worry :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by wmwaimeng
You could've applied for Oxbridge with those results! Congrats and good luck :smile:

Aha thank you!!! I'll consider applying, although the entrance exam and interviews are seriously putting me off!!! :P
Reply 7
Original post by emiloujess
Ohh right! Okay... Psychology is classed as a 'relevant Science A2' by some universities, and I retook the whole of year 12 and still have 2 offers so far. You'll be fine, try not to worry :smile:

Really, you wouldn't mind me asking what offers you got? I might check the uni's out! :smile:
Really, you wouldn't mind me asking what offers you got? I might check the uni's out! :smile:

They're a little low in terms of grades compared to the ones you're looking at but Cardiff and Aberystwyth. I've also asked Birmingham, Sheffield and QUB if they accept year 12 redoers and they've said it wouldn't affect my application either :smile:
That does sound like a pretty good application for Bath, judging by their entry requirements. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by emiloujess
They're a little low in terms of grades compared to the ones you're looking at but Cardiff and Aberystwyth. I've also asked Birmingham, Sheffield and QUB if they accept year 12 redoers and they've said it wouldn't affect my application either :smile:

That's cool! I hope you get into the universities you want and I was actually looking at the university of Birmingham myself, which is actually a great uni for Psychology. :biggrin:
That's cool! I hope you get into the universities you want and I was actually looking at the university of Birmingham myself, which is actually a great uni for Psychology. :biggrin:

Thanks! :smile: Best of luck with getting offers! Birmingham campus is so pretty though!
Reply 12
Original post by SeanFM
That does sound like a pretty good application for Bath, judging by their entry requirements. :smile:

Sound reassuring, its just the personal statement that is a pain in the ass!!! I really do hope I get in as I have fallen in love with the city as well as the university, of course!!!! :wink: Are you applying for uni this year? if so what are you thinking of studying/what are your uni choices?
Reply 13
Wtf? Are you trying to make us jealous? You have 6 mother****ing a levels with 3 A*'s and an A in them and you're asking if you're aiming too high? Only on tsr :facepalm: Quit your bragging and move
Sound reassuring, its just the personal statement that is a pain in the ass!!! I really do hope I get in as I have fallen in love with the city as well as the university, of course!!!! :wink: Are you applying for uni this year? if so what are you thinking of studying/what are your uni choices?

I am a second year Matematical Sciences student at Bath :colondollar:

PSs are difficult, maybe focus on how you're committed to teaching yourself Biology AS, the volunteer work that you'll be doing, and the kind of stuff that they describe at the top of this page.

Good luck with your application! :borat:
Reply 15
Original post by SeanFM
I am a second year Matematical Sciences student at Bath :colondollar:

PSs are difficult, maybe focus on how you're committed to teaching yourself Biology AS, the volunteer work that you'll be doing, and the kind of stuff that they describe at the top of this page.

Good luck with your application! :borat:

Mathematical Sciences, gee you brain box!!!! :P That's honestly so cool and hard..... ^O^. Thank you for the link and advice btw! I'm just curious, what career(s) are you looking to go into or perhaps post-graduate training courses?

P.S. How's the night life at Bath, I have to ask!
Mathematical Sciences, gee you brain box!!!! :P That's honestly so cool and hard..... ^O^. Thank you for the link and advice btw! I'm just curious, what career(s) are you looking to go into or perhaps post-graduate training courses?

P.S. How's the night life at Bath, I have to ask!

It is quite difficult but some bits are enjoyable. :smile:

I'm currently hoping to be an actuary, I'm not sure if the postgraduate life is for me. I might do a master's degree if I can afford it and there are a lot of benefits.

I'm more of a daytime activities person but there is a lot going on at Bath during the night so I've written what I know about the nightlife in this thread, and you're welcome to ask any other questions you may have about Bath as well. :h:
I'm not trolling. I had to re-take Mathematics and my unit 1 Psychology AS exam. I also didn't do great at AS and worked my ass off. I was also told by my school that universities do not view re-takes in a positive light and may even choose candidates with A*AA who have achieved these grades in one sitting. Also these universities are extremely competitive and rely on the personal statement regardless of the grades as there are other students who have achieved outstandingly. The UCAS advisor at my Sixth Form is not helpful.

You need to have more faith in yourself; stop looking at what's wrong, look at what is right.

Your grades are clearly top notch so just apply for goodness sake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply