The Student Room Group

Is my music taste bizarre!?

Only recently (past 2-3 years) I have really been getting into music. I dont mean hyperventilating over how beautiful the songs are, just really enjoy listening to it and adding it to my Spotify playlist. I only have around 25 songs which isnt a lot..I think. My top 3 bands would be (in order) Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons, Foster The People.

I was wondering is my music taste kinda strange or different? Its a mix of bands/artists such as, Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons (hence my username :biggrin:), Foster The People, Avicii, Alex Adair, Calvin Harris, Clean Bandit, Fall Out Boy, Maroon 5, Stromae (hes a Belgian musician, singer, rapper and songwriter etc which I only discovered through meeting french people on holiday last year).

So ye, as you can gather from my music tastes its a crazy mix of indie/folk/rock (Mumford and Sons), electronic etc. Whats kinds of music are you interested in? How would you describe my music taste? :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

It's not weird at all, you're allowed to like anything. Even the genres you listen to seem eclectic to you, in the grand scheme of things they're not that different when compared to say, lowercase which is basically just silence. :tongue:

Stromae's music is beautiful:love:

EDIT: Oops I didn't read the questions at the end :redface: I like music that tends to fit into the categories of soul, uk garage, r&b, electronic and reggae. I'm not too fussed about the genre though, I just like what I like!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Spotted Monkey
It's not weird at all, you're allowed to like anything. Even the genres you listen to seem eclectic to you, in the grand scheme of things they're not that different when compared to say, lowercase which is basically just silence. :tongue:Stromaes music is beautiful:love:

Haha thanks! I feel awesome now :P Ye I heard Stromaes 'Papaoutai' and immediately fell in love with it. Ended up putting lots of his songs on spotify/my phone. Amazing artist/sound of music..even though I cannot understand what he is saying! :O..but music speaks louder than words? :biggrin:
Hardly bizzare at all. I wouldn't say any of those bands are indie but hey I'm a bit of a music snob. Good choices though. foster the people is good, Stromae is brilliant! :smile:

Edit: don't listen to the people that will call your taste generic. You can listen to whatever you like.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
yeah its ****
I'm proud to have a bizarre music taste. This includes various scopes of electronic music, from melodic chillout dubstep to heavy electro, so it's good for making me energised, soothed, as well as sentimental and less anxious.
Playing this now:[video="youtube;vbWkLLmDQls"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbWkLLmDQls[/video]
I would say that your taste in music is completely normal. That's fine. Whatever you like is fine. If your top 5 artists were Rachmaninoff, Deicide, Tupac, Taylor Swift and Aphex Twin, that would still be fine.
Original post by StrawbAri
Hardly bizzare at all. I wouldn't say any of those bands are indie but hey I'm a bit of a music snob. Good choices though. foster the people is good, Stromae is brilliant! :smile:

Edit: don't listen to the people that will call your taste generic. You can listen to whatever you like.

Ye sorry those artists arent all indie, if I made out to sound like that, indie music was a taste I also like. :smile:
Original post by e aí rapaz
I would say that your taste in music is completely normal. That's fine. Whatever you like is fine. If your top 5 artists were Rachmaninoff, Deicide, Tupac, Taylor Swift and Aphex Twin, that would still be fine.

Aphex!
:bl::evilbanana::diep::dancing2::mwuaha::soap::ssaw::troll:
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
I'm proud to have a bizarre music taste. This includes various scopes of electronic music, from melodic chillout dubstep to heavy electro, so it's good for making me energised, soothed, as well as sentimental and less anxious.
Playing this now:[video="youtube;vbWkLLmDQls"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbWkLLmDQls[/video]

YES! Electronic music FTW :cool: Nice song as well!
Whatever brings you joy when you listen to it, matters not if it is strange or different and that is the great thing about music. I mainly listen to metal but also love old funk,soul, and some rhythm and blues from the 60's, I feel sad for people who limit themselves to one type of music as there is a whole world of great stuff out there when it comes to music.
I wouldn't say your taste in music is especially bizarre. In fact, I'd call it bland. But if you enjoy listening to it then my opinion isn't really worth a **** :h:

And you're right when you say 25 songs isn't a lot. I've got 17366 on iTunes and, all things considered, that even that isn't that many. This is something that bothers me a lot, but how can you have that many artists but only 25 songs? Full albums ftw.
Your choice is not at all bizarre ... in comparison to mine: how's opera for crazy? :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Drunk Punx
I wouldn't say your taste in music is especially bizarre. In fact, I'd call it bland. But if you enjoy listening to it then my opinion isn't really worth a **** :h:

And you're right when you say 25 songs isn't a lot. I've got 17366 on iTunes and, all things considered, that even that isn't that many. This is something that bothers me a lot, but how can you have that many artists but only 25 songs? Full albums ftw.

Sorry! I meant 250 haha!
Reply 14
Call your music taste bizarre when you start listening to stuff like this...

[video="youtube;c5qwsSZ_98M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5qwsSZ_98M[/video]
Reply 15
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
Only recently (past 2-3 years) I have really been getting into music. I dont mean hyperventilating over how beautiful the songs are, just really enjoy listening to it and adding it to my Spotify playlist. I only have around 25 songs which isnt a lot..I think. My top 3 bands would be (in order) Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons, Foster The People.

I was wondering is my music taste kinda strange or different? Its a mix of bands/artists such as, Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons (hence my username :biggrin:), Foster The People, Avicii, Alex Adair, Calvin Harris, Clean Bandit, Fall Out Boy, Maroon 5, Stromae (hes a Belgian musician, singer, rapper and songwriter etc which I only discovered through meeting french people on holiday last year).

So ye, as you can gather from my music tastes its a crazy mix of indie/folk/rock (Mumford and Sons), electronic etc. Whats kinds of music are you interested in? How would you describe my music taste? :tongue:

Based on bands you have listed, your taste in music is garden variety indie kid.

Congratulations.....you're not as unique as you think you are.
It's not a bizarre music taste at all, I love rock music (metal, alternative rock, indie), rap music like hip hop and grime, electronic music like drum n bass or dance and can go back all the way to the 60s and listen to bands like The Rolling Stones. It's good if people like different genres
Who cares, be yourself everyone has different hobbies
Reply 18
Original post by Mumford & Dragons

I listen to pretty much what you listen to too! I enjoy all sorts of genres too, from indie rock to hip-hop It's great that you listen to different genres and get to appreciate all types of music. Shows how we're not missing out on good stuff:smile:
Well, I enjoy some pop, classical, and jazz. Your music taste can be whatever you want it to be

Quick Reply

Latest