The Student Room Group

Sanitary items as luxuries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nolofinwë
I've explained all this in my previous posts; see everything I said on how s2 ECA 1972 implements EU law in a manner consistent with Parliamentary Sovereignty, and how the ECA 1972 is a democratically mandated statute. I don't want this to start going in circles.

I agree we are going in circles.

What I can't decide is whether you genuinely can't tell the difference between de facto and de jure parliamentary sovereignty or not?

We are "sovereign" in the same way as a man who agrees to hand over money to a mugger with a gun to his head. He is exercising free will it is true, but only because he is compelled to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thecatwithnohat
The tax is stupid

As if its our fault that we are women and need to reproduce???!!!!

it's definitely someone's fault for producing the little knuckle head that introduced the god damn tax in the first place

I'm not sure if you understand this but, VAT applies to more than just tampons, such as condoms.

Tampons are not REQUIRED, they are not essential for survival.

What about toothpaste? is that essential for survival? not you can surivive without toothpaste, hence it is taxed.
Toilet paper? taxed
pots and pans? taxed
Cleaning items? taxed
Food items? mostly not taxed
energy? reduced like tampons
Car seats for babies? reduced like tampons.

Feminism is running out of things to complain about.
Original post by TheNote
I'm not sure if you understand this but, VAT applies to more than just tampons, such as condoms.

Tampons are not REQUIRED, they are not essential for survival.

What about toothpaste? is that essential for survival? not you can surivive without toothpaste, hence it is taxed.
Toilet paper? taxed
pots and pans? taxed
Cleaning items? taxed
Food items? mostly not taxed
energy? reduced like tampons
Car seats for babies? reduced like tampons.

Feminism is running out of things to complain about.

Why are razor blades VAT free and considered a necessity? surely you can live with a beard, and girls with hairy legs

p.s. just because I have an opposing opinion does not make me a feminist :h:
Original post by cherryred90s
Oh, Grow up.

Stay classy. Oh wait, that would mean you had to be in the first place...
Why are razor blades VAT free and considered a necessity? surely you can live with a beard, and girls with hairy legs

They aren't'.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
They aren't'.

Men's ones are
How about i bleed over everything because actually being clean is a luxury

p.s. just because I have an opposing opinion does not make me a feminist :h:

Care to prove that statement?

Also was referring to the article writer

Original post by defenestrated
How about i bleed over everything because actually being clean is a luxury

As discussed in this thread, MANY items are taxed that could be considered essential such as toothpaste, tampons are in fact at a reduced rate of 5% that would mean the articles £3.15 per box would reduce to around £3 and over a lifetime that adds up to around £82 that's around £1 a year, it's such a small issue I don't even know why it comes up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Men's ones are

No they arent'

Women in the UK are fighting to axe the 5% tax on tampons (it used to be taxed at 17.5%!), which are considered “luxuries” while men’s razors, for some baffling reason, are not.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/11/free-tampons-cost-feminine-hygiene-products

but lol at how it's in the feminist section, this isn't helping :rofl:
Original post by TheNote
Care to prove that statement?

Also was referring to the article writer

As discussed in this thread, MANY items are taxed that could be considered essential such as toothpaste, tampons are in fact at a reduced rate of 5% that would mean the articles £3.15 per box would reduce to around £3 and over a lifetime that adds up to around £82 that's around £1 a year, it's such a small issue I don't even know why it comes up.

so
toothpaste should be tax free as well
that doesn't invalidate other taxes also being wrong
Original post by chocolate hottie
I agree we are going in circles.

What I can't decide is whether you genuinely can't tell the difference between de facto and de jure parliamentary sovereignty or not?

We are "sovereign" in the same way as a man who agrees to hand over money to a mugger with a gun to his head. He is exercising free will it is true, but only because he is compelled to.

Don't worry, I can tell the difference: I have acknowledged that there is a political expectation/obligation which, in practice, Parliament chooses to adhere to. However, in line with the original discussion on EU Law, I have argued that, in law, we remain supreme. If in fact our politicians follow the EU, so be it. However, should they decide to exercise it, they remain the sovereign body, and have the legal ability to stand against an EU provision if they wish, either by express contrary legislation or leaving the EU entirely.

I don't believe the highwayman (or mugger, as used here) analogy is apt, either here or more generally (and I'm assuming you've read Hart to raise it, and hence know why). In this specific application of the analogy, because Parliament retains legal sovereignty, it is always open to the 'victim' (here, Britain) to decline the highwayman's (EU's) commands and successfully fend him off.
Women in the UK are fighting to axe the 5% tax on tampons (it used to be taxed at 17.5%!), which are considered “luxuries” while men’s razors, for some baffling reason, are not.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/11/free-tampons-cost-feminine-hygiene-products

She has no source for the fact that razors are tax exempt

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-of-vat-on-different-goods-and-services

Razors are not listed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheNote
She has no source for the fact that razors are tax exempt

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-of-vat-on-different-goods-and-services

Razors are not listed.

I have concluded that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about
Original post by defenestrated
so
toothpaste should be tax free as well
that doesn't invalidate other taxes also being wrong

if the government reduces VAT on these products then they'll need to make that money up elsewhere.

I have concluded that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about

Don't worry, it's a very popular myth that razors are tax free, I don't blame you because a lot of people talk about it as if it's fact. I used to believe it myself, until i started shaving.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheNote
if the government reduces VAT on these products then they'll need to make that money up elsewhere.

let's pay footballers less

I just posted a link that (quit clearly I think), shows that men's razors are not in fact VAT exempt. Which I think is a far better indicator than a completely unsupported claim from an opinion piece.

While I do question whether Tampons should be taxed VAT, there are plenty of products which have a VAT rate of 20% which are also essential to our daily lives.

I think the problem here isn't so much tampons, but whether the whole VAT system is justified.

I seem to remember (and maybe it's what you're thinking of?) that men's razors are cheaper than women's.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I just posted a link that (quit clearly I think), shows that men's razors are not in fact VAT exempt. Which I think is a far better indicator than a completely unsupported claim from an opinion piece.

While I do question whether Tampons should be taxed VAT, there are plenty of products which have a VAT rate of 20% which are also essential to our daily lives.

I think the problem here isn't so much tampons, but whether the whole VAT system is justified.

I did mention earlier that I put my hands up and I'm so v v v v v sorry for wasting your time :kiss: SO CALM DOWN.

tbh I still think it's stupid, but it's not impossible to buy so it's okay
Original post by chocolate hottie
Stay classy. Oh wait, that would mean you had to be in the first place...

wow, you want to start an argument so bad :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending