The Student Room Group

Does a long distance relationship workout? Why?

Just curious 🙄🤔

Scroll to see replies

It works if you are both willing to put the time in and are open with each other when something isn't right. Seeing each other as often as possible also helps.
Mine is working out fine :smile: knowing he won't be gone forever really helps, and texting and FaceTiming has worked wonders. Whenever one of us has an issue, we talk it through. At the end of the day, we both love each other to bits and we're willing to work hard to make sure it works. As long as you both put in time, it can work out
In my experience - no.
Even if you love each other, it's still really really hard. I mean yes, the distance does make the time you actually spend together more valuable, but unless you know you can close the distance in the foreseeable future, it really puts a strain on the relationship, especially if it's a really long distance (my ex was 4 hours away and neither of us could drive)

Chances are you'll start the relationship thinking that you'll manage to beat the odds, but people are right when they say it hardly ever works out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Human nature is such that people become easily frustrated and tempted. This obviously causes problems in the context of long distance relationships.

Anyone who manages to see a LDR through to the end is just forcing the issue, nothing more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It can, yeah.
I was in a 5 year relationship with a guy, 3 years of which were spent at a distance.

Visiting each other was a holiday. We wrote letters and greatly appreciated the little time we did get together.
We lived together for one year and it was incredible.

Broke up with him eventually as I met him when I was 17 and realised we had very different aspirations, but it was worth it for sure.

My current boyfriend is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. We were best friends for 4 years and maintained our friendship at a distance. Now we are together things are great. We live together but I was away for 6 weeks at the beginning of Summer and in 2 weeks I am going away for another 6 weeks.
Most relationships don't work out.
It can work. If either person (or both) is able to finance it, if both people are independent (emotionally, socially and financially) and if either person (or both) has enough time (and is happily willing) to travel back and forth, it can work very easily and effortlessly. If any of those conditions aren't met, then it becomes difficult to maintain the relationship.
They shouldn't because a LDR is just not a relationship. Sorry but it's the truth. There's lots of awesome people out there. I know it can be hard finding them at first. But you will eventually.

The difference is of course if you've been going out for ages and you're only gonna be long term for a short while.
No relationships work. Nothing lasts. Everything is just temporary. People come and go. They tell you they love you, they make you believe it all, only to throw you and treat you like dirt afterwards.
My relationship is still perfect, the distance between us has changed us very little.
Original post by TorpidPhil
They shouldn't because a LDR is just not a relationship. Sorry but it's the truth. There's lots of awesome people out there. I know it can be hard finding them at first. But you will eventually.

The difference is of course if you've been going out for ages and you're only gonna be long term for a short while.

Why is it not a relationship? That's beyond ridiculous.
Original post by stemmery
Why is it not a relationship? That's beyond ridiculous.

It depends on how much you're meeting up. But I have to do stuff with people, in real life, fairly often for it to constitute a full friendship.
Reply 14
It depends on how much you're meeting up. But I have to do stuff with people, in real life, fairly often for it to constitute a full friendship.

That's for you though. It by no means applies to everyone.

That's you personally, but that doesn't mean all long distance relationships shouldn't be classed as relationships.
ideally, a long distance relationship won't stay long distance forever
so if the two people are serious about each other, then yeah
Original post by Most Competitive
Human nature is such that people become easily frustrated and tempted. This obviously causes problems in the context of long distance relationships.

Anyone who manages to see a LDR through to the end is just forcing the issue, nothing more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? What if you decide that you're completely right for each other, but have to put up with a few years of long distance in order to be together afterwards (e.g. going to university)?

If you are with someone for 60 years, but spent the first few years only seeing each other at weekends, is that forcing the issue?
Original post by Plumstone
Really? What if you decide that you're completely right for each other, but have to put up with a few years of long distance in order to be together afterwards (e.g. going to university)?

If you are with someone for 60 years, but spent the first few years only seeing each other at weekends, is that forcing the issue?

Wouldn't let me rep you, but I completely agree. If you love your partner, long distance is worth it
My parents were long distance for 2 years, I mean different continents in the 90's, still together 20 years later. Must work for some

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending