The Student Room Group

Islamic Front (FSA) joined ISIS yesterday....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates
FSA are hardly moderates - nutcases. Assad is the only hope for Syria.

Assad is a butcher and a dictator.
Original post by United1892
Assad is a butcher and a dictator.

He's their only hope. Better Assad than some puppet or a bunch of hard line terrorists.
He's their only hope. Better Assad than some puppet or a bunch of hard line terrorists.

Better democracy than Assad.
Better democracy than Assad.

Delusional

Assad will keep his power.
Delusional

Assad will keep his power.

Not if we invade.

I'll take Rojava, thanks.
Both groups are just as bad as each other to be honest, both causing more and more destruction in already disturbed countries
Not if we invade.

Who? the UK? Wouldnt dare with Russia involved.

Only a small island. Up for sale to the Chinese.
Who? the UK? Wouldnt dare with Russia involved.

Only a small island. Up for sale to the Chinese.

We should dare.
We should dare.

Only under Chinese ownership, best sell up fast.
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
As much I believe FSA probably are CIA backed extremists who do no good to Syria, al-Nusra are not and have never been on the side of ISIS.

CIA backed? Certainly not at the start. Hillary Clinton, Leon Panetta and General Petraeus begged President Obama to allow them to start a covert operation sending arms and equipment to the Syrian rebels. He refused, and it's only in 2014 that they really started to gear up (and even now, only a handful have been trained).

As for extremists, I don't think that's a fair statement. There are many groups that make up the FSA, some more religious, others quite secular. 13th Division, 1st Coastal Division and Falcons of Al Ghab are all pretty secular (you can watch them online... they're not bearded, they want a multi-party democracy after the war, etc).

The rebellion against Assad didn't arise in a vacuum. There were Arab Spring related protests, and Assad ruthlessly suppressed them. When the first armed resistance against his Shabiha gangs (Alawite private militias going around raping and killing) started to emerge, Assad emptied his prisons of thousands of Islamists in late 2011, releasing them scot free, knowing they would form into armed groups to fight him and he could then depict the opposition to him as terrorists.

In most of the country there has also been a tacit ceasefire between ISIS and the regime, and ISIS' largest source of income is actually the Assad regime. (http://www.businessinsider.com/revealed-the-oil-middleman-between-the-syrian-regime-and-isis-2015-3?IR=T)

The Assad regime, directly through its calculated strategy to build up Islamists by focusing on secular enemies, and indirectly through its oppressive behaviour, has been possibly the most potent progenitor of jihadi violence in the Middle East this decade (perhaps alongside former Iraqi PM Maliki's suppression of the Sunni protests against corruption in 2013 that led to a renewed Sunni uprising and the rebirth of ISIS)

It is utterly wrong to depict Assad as somehow the best of a bad bunch. He is worse than the secular factions of the FSA, and the hell on earth that is Syria today is entirely his fault. This entire war could have been avoided if he'd been willing to agree to some reforms.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anarchism101
I'll take Rojava, thanks.

I'm astonished but 100% agree and gemmed.

That's why it's very important that the West continue to send arms to the Kurds of Rojava, and to provide air support as we did in Kobane.
Iran was right

Russia was right

West are supporting terrorists and by West I also mean the Saudi's, Americans, British, Israeli's...

They created this whole damn conflict in Syria and why? Assad's stance on Israel. His close ties to Iran and Russia make him a threat...
Iran was right

Russia was right

West are supporting terrorists and by West I also mean the Saudis and Israelis

They created this whole damn conflict in Syria and why? Assad's stance on Israel. His close ties to Iran and Russia make him a threat...

Muslims have become their worst enemy and an entire country is in ruins now...

There is an establishment in the West. Most of our leaders all think and act alike when it comes to foreign policy.

What a mess the world is in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WhatYouDontKnow

No they didn't. The Syrian conflict started with protests that descended into civil war after government forces responded to largely peaceful protests with bullets and killed thousands of protesters. Soldiers began to defect from the army, and anti-Assad civilians took up arms.

Many Western countries (and some Middle Eastern ones) have responded to the war in highly questionable ways, but they did not start the conflict.
Original post by RFowler
No they didn't. The Syrian conflict started with protests that descended into civil war after government forces responded to largely peaceful protests with bullets and killed thousands of protesters. Soldiers began to defect from the army, and anti-Assad civilians took up arms.

Many Western countries (and some Middle Eastern ones) have responded to the war in highly questionable ways, but they did not start the conflict.

What a bull****, and the administrators won't even comment this post because it is pretty much what they want people to think
Not shocking at all tbh. I think I have posted a few times that they definatley are two sides of the same coin.
Original post by BRICS > DOLLAR
What a bull****, and the administrators won't even comment this post because it is pretty much what they want people to think

My post was perfectly accurate, whether it fits in with your biases or not. Syria's war started with anti government protesters being shot dead by government forces, and it was not started by any western country. These are facts.
Original post by RFowler
My post was perfectly accurate, whether it fits in with your biases or not. Syria's war started with anti government protesters being shot dead by government forces, and it was not started by any western country. These are facts.

Creepy zombie land
Original post by WhatYouDontKnow
Iran was right

Russia was right

West are supporting terrorists and by West I also mean the Saudis and Israelis

Muslims have become their worst enemy and an entire country is in ruins now...

There is an establishment in the West. Most of our leaders all think and act alike when it comes to foreign policy.

What a mess the world is in.

The same Assad who was negotiating with Israel from 2008-2010? Whose regime had kept the border quiet for decades? Israel could defeat Assad in a day, it doesn't need to start a civil war.

This whole movement started in the West's ally, Egypt. It affected several brutal statist dictatorships with terrible economies. Syria, with its systemic oppression of dozens of Sunni tribes, was ripe for insurrection. People wanted political and economic reform, they were savagely suppressed, and it turned into a war. The opposition was then hijacked by radical Islamists (supported predominantly by Qatar in the beginning), but it certainly didn't start out that way.

Quick Reply

Latest