The Student Room Group

If transgender why not transrace?

So recently I have been thinking about my future university tuition fees and how I could legally steal other people's money to buy a Maserati among other things. After a few minutes pondering under my carefully suspended light bulb I eventually had a light bulb moment and realized I could exploit human sympathy to get what I want. If Caitlyn Jenner received fame and fortune for being transgender maybe I can do the same by becoming Asian. I could finally be Chinese like my friend and he could teach me the Chinese way of life.
What is your opinion: is this a good or bad idea?

TL;DR: light bulb fell on my head, decided to become Asian.

Scroll to see replies

Biological sex is not a social construct, whereas race is. There are differences between the sexes (such as height, muscle mass and so on), whereas the differences between the races are far less.
:frown:
'Transrace' Chinese would mean you feel that are 'in spirit Chinese' but got somehow stuck in the body of a *insert your race here*.

But race, unlike gender, doesn't define/change who you are (expected to be) as a person, so surely it loses its meaning in this context...
Original post by Bjornhattan
Biological sex is not a social construct, whereas race is. There are differences between the sexes (such as height, muscle mass and so on), whereas the differences between the races are far less.

So you're saying it would be much easier to become Chinese than to become a woman. Good to know. Give me my fame and money:nutcase:
Original post by Pronged Lily
'Transrace' Chinese would mean you feel that are 'in spirit Chinese' but got somehow stuck in the body of a *insert your race here*.

But race, unlike gender, doesn't define/change who you are (expected to be) as a person, so surely it loses its meaning in this context...

How does your gender define/change who you are or you are expected to be in a way that race does not? Not criticizing, just interested in what you think.
Reply 6
But people of ethnicities that are institutionally more powerful and have structured society to serve their political, cultural and economic needs might use the idea of 'trans-race' to wipe out and obliterate 'weaker' cultures. Think about it.

There is a difference between sex and gender.
Original post by DiddyDec
There is a difference between sex and gender.

Yes, but in the case of transgender people there is a difference between biological sex and gender identity. But for transrace, you have a difference between race of birth and racial identity. That's getting into murky waters.

Frankly, I find the idea of transgender somewhat worrying as it implies that once gender cannot achieve something. I would rather people felt comfortable within their biological sex and simply felt free to live their lives outside of commonly held stereotypes. But just changing your gender because you feel one way or another seems wrong to me. In my eyes, you should express yourself as an effeminate man for example. If I sound very bigoted here please tell me, I'm quite inexperienced in such matters.
Original post by MJlover
But people of ethnicities that are institutionally more powerful and have structured society to serve their political, cultural and economic needs might use the idea of 'trans-race' to wipe out and obliterate 'weaker' cultures. Think about it.

Well I'm feeling rather MAD if you know what I mean :colone:
And anyway I am just pointing out the slippery slope argument that if transgender is the new thing where will the unnecessary societal stratification end?
Original post by F.Nietzsche

Hehehe . . . my IQ says otherwise (not an internet IQ either).
Original post by Teslamegafan
Hehehe . . . my IQ says otherwise (not an internet IQ either).

Yes, but in the case of transgender people there is a difference between biological sex and gender identity. But for transrace, you have a difference between race of birth and racial identity. That's getting into murky waters.

Frankly, I find the idea of transgender somewhat worrying as it implies that once gender cannot achieve something. I would rather people felt comfortable within their biological sex and simply felt free to live their lives outside of commonly held stereotypes. But just changing your gender because you feel one way or another seems wrong to me. In my eyes, you should express yourself as an effeminate man for example. If I sound very bigoted here please tell me, I'm quite inexperienced in such matters.

I have for a long time been conflicted on the subject. So I gave up and just accepted that some people are weird and it doesn't even effect me so why care.

I've thought that before, but then again I don't know what it's like to be trans.

I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and say "uninformed" rather than "bigoted".

Nobody transitions because "one gender can't achieve something". Trans women (male to female) outnumber trans men 4:1. Trans women face SO MUCH stigma for being true to themselves - and given that patriarchal society generally confers more privilege upon men than women, why would anyone voluntarily relinquish that?

Trans people transition - and I say this as one of them - because their sense of inner self is at odds with their physical body. Brain scans of trans people have shown that their brain maps resemble that of cisgender people of their preferred gender. In other words, my brain as a trans man more closely reflects that of cisgender men, even though I was born with a female body.

If you have any questions and can ask them constructively and respectfully I'd be happy to answer them.
Original post by F.Nietzsche

Wow . . . just how much time do you spend on Tumblr, lol? :laugh:
Well I'm feeling rather MAD if you know what I mean :colone:
And anyway I am just pointing out the slippery slope argument that if transgender is the new thing where will the unnecessary societal stratification end?

nope lol what do you mean?
Reply 18
Exactly the question I have pondering over. We don't get to decide neither our gender nor our race. Why is it ok to want to change gender but not race? If we at the past 200 years, Changing your gender and race could both have effects on social status. For example, the socioeconomic status of White Males would've been considerably better compared to a black female.
Wow . . . just how much time do you spend on Tumblr, lol :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest