The Student Room Group

Cars are the among worst inventions of all time

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Johann von Gauss
Was going to post my own rant, but this guy summarises it nicely:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142043

If we care so much about the environment, why not ban cars entirely, and have a good network of public transport? It works in many European cities. People in rural areas need cars you say? Move them to cities. Trains are prone to union action? They don't need human drivers any more.

Ever since the invention of the car, population density in cities in the West has decreased. Infrastructure built for cars reduced space for human habitation and services in cities. A thousand people making the same journey in cars spews out more pollution, and takes up more space, than the same number of people in buses, or trains.

At the moment we are targeting industry with emission cuts, at huge cost to society, but we could instead ban cars; imagine the fall in emissions.

Electric cars are not a saviour; most electricity is not renewable; if it were, then it would be expensive or from nuclear sources.

What if we don't actually care that much about the environment?
Reply 61
Tell a Formula 1 driver that and they'll run you over :lol:

Cars are an amazing invention! Do you even physics? Why would you ban them? Why not change them slightly to produce less emission - and they're not the only cause of pollution so we can elliminate other causes before cars... They're amazing and public transport isn't ideal for some people, why would you force everyone to take it -_-
Original post by tazarooni89
What if we don't actually care that much about the environment?

Then I hope you are contributing towards humanity's colony in the Alpha Centauri system
Original post by york_wbu
I can have my own opinions as long as they don't clash with yours? Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

No, I am intrigued as to how people find him appealing, just like how Romney and Corbyn actually got votes....
Original post by york_wbu
I can have my own opinions as long as they don't clash with yours? Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Left wing logic.

At least with the right wing, everything is open for discussion. Atm, I feel like I cannot express half the opinions I have in RL, because social conditioning and PC.

I like to distinguish myself from the left. I'm just authoritarian.
(edited 8 years ago)
Then I hope you are contributing towards humanity's colony in the Alpha Centauri system

Thats the thing, we were all brought up to be consumers, and care about what happens in the now. If anyone actually believes the government cares about preserving the planet for those who will live after them, over keeping their popularity needs to realise they don't care about anything that wont affect them and they would rather die in power and with money, than lose it in a bid to do good....

What for? Earth and humanity both have to end some time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZoëC
Thats the thing, we were all brought up to be consumers, and care about what happens in the now. If anyone actually believes the government cares about preserving the planet for those who will live after them, over keeping their popularity needs to realise they don't care about anything that wont affect them and they would rather die in power and with money, than lose it in a bid to do good....

I have posted a rant about our degenerate consumerist society in the past :smile:

Future of humanity >> latest consumer goods

Original post by tazarooni89
What for? Earth and humanity both have to end some time.

If you want to destroy the environment, thus robbing future generations of humanity of a planet, then at least help create a new future on a new colony. It is not up to you to decide that humanity must end, just because you cannot see the point in prolonging it yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
People in rural areas need cars you say? Move them to cities. Trains are prone to union action? They don't need human drivers any more.

Yes, import all food produce by plane, that won't harm our carbon footprint at all
Original post by Another
Yes, import all food produce by plane, that won't harm our carbon footprint at all

Original post by Another

it is inevitable that everything will do some harm to the environment, but what's so wrong with cutting a massive chunk out of our overall damage

And that entire water+nutrient irrigation system runs on solar power?

Original post by ZoëC
it is inevitable that everything will do some harm to the environment, but what's so wrong with cutting a massive chunk out of our overall damage

I'd rather have my goods delivered by truck every week, than a plane every week. You'll probably create more problems than there were to begin with
(edited 8 years ago)
I have posted a rant about our degenerate consumerist society in the past :smile:

Future of humanity >> latest consumer goods

If you want to destroy the environment, thus robbing future generations of humanity of a planet, then at least help create a new future on a new colony. It is not up to you to decide that humanity must end, just because you cannot see the point in prolonging it yet.

Where do you see humanity in 1000 years?
on Earth?
somewhere else?
extinct (maybe for the best)?
Was going to post my own rant, but this guy summarises it nicely:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142043

If we care so much about the environment, why not ban cars entirely, and have a good network of public transport? It works in many European cities. People in rural areas need cars you say? Move them to cities. Trains are prone to union action? They don't need human drivers any more.

Ever since the invention of the car, population density in cities in the West has decreased. Infrastructure built for cars reduced space for human habitation and services in cities. A thousand people making the same journey in cars spews out more pollution, and takes up more space, than the same number of people in buses, or trains.

At the moment we are targeting industry with emission cuts, at huge cost to society, but we could instead ban cars; imagine the fall in emissions.

Electric cars are not a saviour; most electricity is not renewable; if it were, then it would be expensive or from nuclear sources.

Erm how about you frak off? I'm not exchanging my country home for some filth infested stinking urban hell hole.

Original post by Quantex
For the reasons listed in that post, cars are a blight. I wouldn't go as far as banning them, but I wish we would move away from our slavish dependency on them. Regarding the deaths they cause or the environmental damage, people claim to care but ultimate don't. Unfortunately modern consumer culture is built upon the principle that we can ignore any cost we don't personally have to pay for. So people are happy to pollute away and reluctant to take personal responsibility like giving up their car.

Ok i physically cant work without my car, I live two miles from the nearest pub six miles from the nearest shop, there is NO public transport near me and what there is is a joke. I work two jobs, one of which is 12 miles from me. I cannot (adn will not give up my car)

Ok no more on this thread, the stupid is leaking through my monitor
Not really, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, since trains are considerably faster than cars.

To get to my local town centre by bus, I have to walk 5 minutes down the road and then catch the bus, which stops at several stops, and the overall journey takes 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. If I drive there myself, taking a different route by which the buses don't run, the journey takes 5 minutes total. Obviously, 10x shorter as the other guy put it is an overstatement, and if you're going cross-country then a train is going to be faster, but within your local towns, owning a car is always going to be quicker and so much less hassle.
Original post by Another
And that entire water+nutrient irrigation system runs on solar power?

well to be fair, if we hadn't covered the land with concrete, we'd have good soil and space to grow food....
Original post by Quantex
For the reasons listed in that post, cars are a blight. I wouldn't go as far as banning them, but I wish we would move away from our slavish dependency on them. Regarding the deaths they cause or the environmental damage, people claim to care but ultimate don't. Unfortunately modern consumer culture is built upon the principle that we can ignore any cost we don't personally have to pay for. So people are happy to pollute away and reluctant to take personal responsibility like giving up their car.

Well said!

I'm not "deciding that humanity must end", I'm just not particularly interested in actively trying to delay its end.

Obviously the end of the world isn't going to be nice for whoever is alive at the time, but whether it's the 10th generation from now or the 100th generation from now who has to suffer it, what difference does it make to any of us?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZoëC
well to be fair, if we hadn't covered the land with concrete, we'd have good soil and space to grow food....

What? We have plenty of space as it is. According to 2012 figures, less than 11% of the UK has actually been developed on. OP is proposing that everyone who lives in a rural area should move into cities, meaning all of our agriculture would be shoved into these massive electricity/energy sinks which are running 24/7 like an industrial power plant.
I'm not a fan of cars myself. I'm frustrated that people expect me to be able to drive one, and there are a lot of jobs I can't get because I don't have the spatial skills and reflexes to handle one. I hate the way everything is spread out over a long distance and the way cities are built around cars these days. So much space is wasted with huge parking lots. I dislike them for personal and urban aesthetic reasons, but we share a goal here.

I think if they restricted the civilian use of cars, they would have to build more stores within walking distance of neighbourhoods or at least near public transportation stops. When they take it for granted that people can just get in their cars and drive, they can build stuff further away and expect that people can get to it. The worst example is when you have entire suburbs and exurbs that have nothing but residential areas within their own city limits. Communities that are totally dependent on cars with no real local resources, and which sometimes don't even have public transportation.

Now, certainly there's nothing wrong with creating new towns, but a new town should have its own shops, resources, etc. I don't like these entirely parasitic extensions of cities that are totally dependent on them while being separate.

Quick Reply

Latest