The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do a lot of gay people speak / act like this

Scroll to see replies

It has little to do with sexual orientation. It's to do with being very extroverted and impressionable. It's an image however that is applied to LGBT communities to these same characteristics (e.g pride) that they needed to provoke change.

If you were to encounter the average gay person, they wouldn't sound very much like this, especially if they're happy living in a straight-majority environment.

It's worth noting that many Americans speak like this, no matter their sexual orientation.

I quite like it to be fair, it's bubbly and makes the person seem a lot more interesting. Hence why straight girls have this obsession for camp, gay friends.
Original post by drbluebox
Probably sound homophobic these days but we used to joke that it was because of what they did with their mouth to another man so caused pressure on the throat, though you can guess the way we worded it lol.

I think hormones do play a part though, I know very few outright lad type gay guys, many like male interests but another part i assume is the combination of nature and nurture.

Many gay men still work in the theatre even if not outright flamboyant (though may have the old fashioned theatrical acting)

So many gay guys I know play up the queen stereotype, being as loud and in your face as possible and often quite rude and nasty then if you get annoyed they claim you are homophobic.

What you're talking about reminds me of this:

Original post by Skeptique
And your comment "bad misunderstanding" represents a double negative, but because I'm not a sissy bitch I didnt make a drama out of it. Why do you claim hormones should effect all people equally? does it not occur to you that strength, susceptibility and exposure time are all contributing factors and that is the reason why you get varying different degrees? so all gay men wont necessarily display foppish, slack wrist, battyman behavior [this will also hold true with lesbians in the reverse respect] btw] and will not be present equally- but if it were there would be a prime indicator of the syndrome of homosexuality.

Perhaps I shouldn't insult you. Nature has already done a good job of that.

True, I am a guy who has questionable sexuality but I have very high levels of testosterone to the point I started puberty early and have always looked fat even when underweight due to build, large hands and feet etc even now it annoys me that most mens 5 o clock shadow is more like a midday shadow for me so if I go a day without shaving it has the same amount of stubble as many guys who go a week without shaving.

But I am the most gentle person you can meet and more about romance than traditonal male ideas of relationships.
Your post contains all sorts of wrongs on many levels i cant even pick them all out. The first line of this piece of research from Berkley more or less defeats everything you present as an 'argument' here http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2000/03/03-29-2000a.html
(1) utero hormone levels and its potential affects on sexual orientation - Well yes this has been demonstrated by Prof M.Breedlove on the epi genetic level.
(2)Gay men show a wide range of gender behaviors - Possibly but OP was only asking about the ones in the video; not the fapp material in your brain. (3)Trying to extrapolate gender data and conclusions from studies on sexual orientation is going way beyond the parameters - In your opinion maybe, your perhaps missing the obvious Elephant in the room which is the question is about gay men and finding a link to suspect behavior patterns so that dictates the start point. I know years of bullying has made you sensitive and hightend your persecution complex but dont deny the issue because you cant defend it. (4)Secondly, women have a plethora of gender expressions as well and all of them have so-called 'feminized brains'. Trying to extrapolate gender behavior in such situations would prove fruitless - Really?? how would you Lesbians fit that proposition??

Your a basic... Go back to your coloring book.

nominative determinism at its best
Very often if the individual has an otherwise unremarkable personality the gayness will become the sole culture that they identify with.

On a more biological level gay genes may well be useful in situations where you have an extremely fertile/promiscious/domineering sister in which case having an extra female in a masculine body might actually be evolutionary advantageous.
Original post by the bear
nominative determinism at its best

I'm glad you spotted that, it struck me as well.While were on the topic of wordy fun heres a fun anagram:
HETEROSEXUAL = A TRUE SEX HOLE
Quite apt considering
Original post by Saftvare Jarb
Very often if the individual has an otherwise unremarkable personality the gayness will become the sole culture that they identify with.

On a more biological level gay genes may well be useful in situations where you have an extremely fertile/promiscious/domineering sister in which case having an extra female in a masculine body might actually be evolutionary advantageous.

I agree with your first point but I cant agree that gay genes exist.
Yeah typos happen. I remembered to caps though.

Original post by XcitingStuart
Hardly typos. ;giggles secretly;

hey i gotta keep up the "i dont care" aesthetic with my writing style
Original post by DannyDualscar
hey i gotta keep up the "i dont care" aesthetic with my writing style

I was talking about Skeptique. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
because of the higher level of sensitivity/"delicateness" of gay men (e.g. they identify with more feminine ways of living their lives), the "gay voice" (I assume this is what you're talking about) is a natural result for most of them
I'm glad you spotted that, it struck me as well.While were on the topic of wordy fun heres a fun anagram:
HETEROSEXUAL = A TRUE SEX HOLE
Quite apt considering

oh my

:hahaha:
Original post by XcitingStuart
I was talking about Skeptique. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah excuse me, i wasnt being serious anyway :smile:
Many of the stuff on this thread is pseudoscience at best.
First of all, you probably meet a lot of gay people every day without ever realising it. The 'camp' stereotype means you only pick up on gay men who conform to that stereotype, which leads to you assuming that all gay men are camp. However, you likely also met many other men who were gay and not camp - you just didn't realise, because they didn't conform to the stereotype you expected them to. Does that makes sense?

Secondly, I have found that realisation, acceptance and celebration of my sexual orientation opened me up to a host of new cultures, ideas and mindsets. For example, I feel I have a deeper understanding of gender and gender expression because being gay pushed me into exploring the trans* and genderqueer communities. Being gay has also forced me to be very self-introspective - I know myself well, and am proud of my identity and sense of self. I guess I figured that if people were going to judge me for who I wanted to have sex with, I might as well be open about other parts of my identity too. I often wear clothes from the men's section and am generally less 'feminine' presenting than other girls I know: this is not because of my sexual orientation, but because my sexual orientation opened up that possibility to me.

So following on from that, perhaps the gay men who conform to this 'camp' stereotype are not like that because they are gay, but because being gay allowed them to embrace that aspect of themselves. There may be straight men who are very camp and feminine but cannot express it, because it is not what society expects of them. I don't know. I can assure you, though, that gay people are not stereotypes or two-dimensional characters or figures of fun. We're people, just like everyone else.
Reply 34
I don't know, I'm inclined to think it's just a social thing, same as why straight girls / lesbian girls / straight guys, etc. may act in a certain way to fit in with those who they class as the same as them.

Thing is, like people on here are pointing out, although there's kind of a stereotype for how each sexuality and gender may act, especially the stereotype for gay guys, not EVERYONE is like that, at all. Not all gay guys act like your idea of a gay guy, same as how not all straight girls act like your idea of a straight girl, and so on.
Original post by abc:)
I don't know, I'm inclined to think it's just a social thing, same as why straight girls / lesbian girls / straight guys, etc. may act in a certain way to fit in with those who they class as the same as them.

Thing is, like people on here are pointing out, although there's kind of a stereotype for how each sexuality and gender may act, especially the stereotype for gay guys, not EVERYONE is like that, at all. Not all gay guys act like your idea of a gay guy, same as how not all straight girls act like your idea of a straight girl, and so on.

It's no different to how black guys act as if they are from da hood or ghetto even if from middle class families and call other black people the N word they embrace it as they know they can get away with it.

I knew a guy at school who was popular and a ladies man not camp in the slightest, then suddenly came out of the closet and instantly was camp.

Or another butch gay guy who fit the "bear" stereotype who had a beard and he would outright say disgusting things about guys he fancied private areas or what he wanted to do to their bottoms.
Original post by littlebitofsky
First of all, you probably meet a lot of gay people every day without ever realising it. The 'camp' stereotype means you only pick up on gay men who conform to that stereotype, which leads to you assuming that all gay men are camp. However, you likely also met many other men who were gay and not camp - you just didn't realise, because they didn't conform to the stereotype you expected them to. Does that makes sense?

Secondly, I have found that realisation, acceptance and celebration of my sexual orientation opened me up to a host of new cultures, ideas and mindsets. For example, I feel I have a deeper understanding of gender and gender expression because being gay pushed me into exploring the trans* and genderqueer communities. Being gay has also forced me to be very self-introspective - I know myself well, and am proud of my identity and sense of self. I guess I figured that if people were going to judge me for who I wanted to have sex with, I might as well be open about other parts of my identity too. I often wear clothes from the men's section and am generally less 'feminine' presenting than other girls I know: this is not because of my sexual orientation, but because my sexual orientation opened up that possibility to me.

So following on from that, perhaps the gay men who conform to this 'camp' stereotype are not like that because they are gay, but because being gay allowed them to embrace that aspect of themselves. There may be straight men who are very camp and feminine but cannot express it, because it is not what society expects of them. I don't know. I can assure you, though, that gay people are not stereotypes or two-dimensional characters or figures of fun. We're people, just like everyone else.

As a bi guy who has many gay friends then I know more who fill gay stereotypes, they are not all camp but the majority are feminine in many ways

I have gay friends who try and guess why they are gay and many say its hormonal.

And my neighbour is a lesbian and fits all the lesbian stereotypes but is friendly, she has hair shorter than mine, wears sleeveless t shirts, is overweight and quite butch in that she likes to be heard and shout at people who argue with her in fact the only feminine thing about her is she wears a pink t shirt every day.

She even loves DIY and cars lol.
In my opinion, it changes from culture to culture. A lot of what English consider effiminate is normal in other cultures. I think in part a lot of gay guys tend to stick to masculine norms due to peer pressure. You can see how more 'conservative' gay guys are when you compare gays from different countries - in some places the gays are more flamboyant than in others.
Original post by drbluebox
As a bi guy who has many gay friends then I know more who fill gay stereotypes, they are not all camp but the majority are feminine in many ways

I have gay friends who try and guess why they are gay and many say its hormonal.

And my neighbour is a lesbian and fits all the lesbian stereotypes but is friendly, she has hair shorter than mine, wears sleeveless t shirts, is overweight and quite butch in that she likes to be heard and shout at people who argue with her in fact the only feminine thing about her is she wears a pink t shirt every day.

She even loves DIY and cars lol.

+1. I'm a gay guy as well and I concur. The majority of gay guys I know tend to follow concepts that a lot of Americans would consider effiminate - but note that much of this is considered normal in many cultures around the world. A lot of the beauty trends (slim bodies, hair and makeup, etc...) are related to making yourself more attractive to the guy you want, but I think that in some countries the homosexuals are pressured by toxic masculinity into conforming to certain ideals about what it's like to be a man (and consequently repress a lot of what they internally desire) - kind of like the homophobic gay Republican stereotype.
It has absolutely nothing to do with their mental health :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending