The Student Room Group

RAF advice!

Please take time to read
Where can we start.

Firstly I'm currently going through the raf application progress and succeeded in most of the steps. Leaving only PTRC to come.
The thing is I'm going in as a RAF chef which i don't want at all because I've herd it's hard to pass? Herd bad things about it?
I was one mark off the trade i wanted and i don't know what to do. I know that I've always wanted to join the RAF and that some people would love to be as a chef in the raf but i just don't enjoy cooking at all. But then i also know i really need a job as I'm 19 of age and it's really stupid. Lost motivation and everything knowing it's a job im most likely not going to enjoy even though it's brilliant. Could there possibly be a chance i could re-trade still? If not what advice and tips can you give me?

thanks for reading much appreciated

extra notes:
My sister and brother in law are in the RAF
and my dad was in the army at my age
so i know quite a lot about it
Reply 1
PRTC*
The RAF Chef course is one of the hardest courses in the military. Most people get fail the final seasoning test.
If you don't want to do it, then don't do it. Better to sort it out now than 6 years of misery.
Reply 4
If you know "quite a lot about it" then you'd know better than to accept a job you don't want.

Don't do it. Turn it down. Practise for the tests, try again and get the trade you want.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
If you know "quite a lot about it" then you'd know better than to accept a job you don't want.

Don't do it. Turn it down. Practise for the tests, try again and get the trade you want.

Is it possible to re do aptitude during basic training. Because i'am already waiting on a date for PRTC and i dont want to turn around and say i'am having second thoughts on chef. OR would they even care and just let me re do it now?
Reply 6
Original post by safior289
Is it possible to re do aptitude during basic training. Because i'am already waiting on a date for PRTC and i dont want to turn around and say i'am having second thoughts on chef. OR would they even care and just let me re do it now?

No and no. You'd have to come out and start again.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
No and no. You'd have to come out and start again.

so if i re did it now the wouldnt ask me to do all the previous steps like the interview and fitness test etc?
Original post by safior289
so if i re did it now the wouldnt ask me to do all the previous steps like the interview and fitness test etc?

Just go to your AFCO and tell them why you would like to change. The sooner you do it the better. Think long and hard about why you want to change role and the reasons why you want to change it for role X.

You may have to re-do another medical and fitness test. Medical standards differ for trades do you will need to be checked against new criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest