The Student Room Group

Exams story

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z33
oh my gosh what? can't you cross it out and write it above the box haha i always make mistakes with my candidate number no one has ever said anything

We're not in exam time yet so if youve done that in the past then it went well wooo!!! I get panicky and ividulators are attracted to my panicky face so i thought hey why not ask them which was a major mistake
Reply 21
Original post by Simes
Just as well it wasn't a biology exam...

haha omgosh i always dread the data sheets incase there's some kinda insect and it's like "what kind of circulatory system do insects like the one in fig. 1 have?" like is it really necessary -_-
Original post by z33
holy **** these are so sad! i hope you got a grade at the end! and you can retake so it's not all that bad but awh omg :frown:

Thanks, but don't worry - I got a C (not that I usually admit that to anyone) and dropped History since I couldn't take five subjects at A2 anyway.

My History teacher was also my Classics teacher and I aced his Cicero paper, so I felt that I redeemed myself a little and he continued to be very supportive even after I finished college.

Since then, I went to university to study English Literature (which was always my main subject) and graduated this summer with a first, so it all ends happily :smile:

(although I will never forget how **** I felt during and after that exam)
Reply 23
Original post by ImagineCats
We're not in exam time yet so if youve done that in the past then it went well wooo!!! I get panicky and ividulators are attracted to my panicky face so i thought hey why not ask them which was a major mistake

haha yes they see dat panicky face and they're like "this one needs me" :tongue:

maybe i should be more careful with these things haha
Original post by CoolCavy
i started crying in the maths GCSE (my tears are on the paper lol) , just carried on through the tears tho and got the grade i wanted. that's it really :s-smilie:

I assume you were crying because of the beauty of Mathematics right?
This happened during mocks in year 10. About 20 people had 'turn down for what' set as there alarm, so basically yeah everyone knew about everyone just waited for the drop. This repeatedly happened till the end of the mocks, but diffrent songs. Yeah it just gor annoying at the end.
yeah totally :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Frappé
The time i thought i literally got every question right.
She said "5 minutes left" i was ready to chill and flick through my answers.
As i was doing so i found a whole double-page of questions that i had missed out. :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

I lolled a bit at this... is that bad?
Reply 28
Original post by Plumstone
Thanks, but don't worry - I got a C (not that I usually admit that to anyone) and dropped History since I couldn't take five subjects at A2 anyway.

My History teacher was also my Classics teacher and I aced his Cicero paper, so I felt that I redeemed myself a little and he continued to be very supportive even after I finished college.

Since then, I went to university to study English Literature (which was always my main subject) and graduated this summer with a first, so it all ends happily :smile:

(although I will never forget how **** I felt during and after that exam)

omgosh you trooper!!! wow this happy ending! you sound like you work realllyyy hard for your grades and wow you deserve every good grade that comes your way! wow 5 subjects... and you're ashamed of a C .. in history as well that ****'s hard!

omg i got Bs and Cs at AS and i was proper happy :lol:
Original post by whydoidothis?
My mate walked in 10 minutes late. After the exam he was like that was sooo easy. Don't even know why i even needed the full time.

He got a U.

1972462_10154016993990301_752138233_n.jpg
i started crying in the maths GCSE (my tears are on the paper lol) , just carried on through the tears tho and got the grade i wanted. that's it really :s-smilie:

:frown: Was it the exam that made you cry or just general stress?
My friend in set 1 Maths says the first paper was harder than the second paper... and he gets 100% in the first paper and 95% in the second paper...

My exam story is not as funny as others I have seen on this thread but it was the same Maths exam. The first paper went okay, I answered all questions despite the difficulty of the questions. However second paper I was ****ting my pants because she said 10 minutes left and there were like 8 questions left. It wasn't them 1 mark or 2 mark questions, it's those f*cking explain or show working out questions. I still don't know how I ended up in top set... might be because people did ****ter than me.

EDIT: That wasn't due to my time management... My school makes their own exam papers and the Maths department put waaaayyyy to many questions in the paper so lots of people didn't get to finish their test. I remember a lot of people turning up 30 mins late to other lessons because of that. They were more generous when marking too because lots of people complained about the amount of questions we had to answer in that certain time frame.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
:frown: Was it the exam that made you cry or just general stress?

the exam. when i couldn't do the questions i felt so upset bc i had spent ages doing past papers and revising bc i knew it was my weakest subject :frown:
This story isn't nearly as sad as the others on here but here goes...

5th June 2015 08:50 -- WJEC Mechanics 2 exam.

Core 3 didn't go as well as I liked. But M2 would be my saving grace and then I could smash Core 4 the following week. But for now, forget everything but mechanics.

*opens the paper*

*sees six-mark question involving a Core 4 trigonometric identity that I did my best to remove from my mind in favour of remembering mechanics*

[Thinks]: Kill me now...

The rest of it wasn't any nicer either and I tried my best to get at least half of the marks by writing whatever bullsh*t came to mind in the vain hope I'd get some method marks for it. :frown: Got a C on that exam and it brought my whole mathematics grade down to a B -- my eternal shame.
(edited 8 years ago)
the exam. when i couldn't do the questions i felt so upset bc i had spent ages doing past papers and revising bc i knew it was my weakest subject :frown:

Aw. :hugs: Good to hear you got the grade you wanted though. :biggrin: In my school there was this boy who suffered from a lot of stress during exams and would cry even before controlled assessments in German (which would often get the teacher to breach non-negotiable deadlines for submission...). In exams though, I once heard a rumour that he started crying behind this guy who was telling me the story and the invigilators asked the guy telling me the story what time the guy started crying so they could pause the clock for him until he stopped crying. I never understood whether that was an act of kindness or mockery. :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
I never used to have problems with examinations until my AS M1 exam when I realised I had misread a question the moment the time ended. I suddenly became absolutely paranoid that I was misreading questions so in my next exam, I went crazy with checking everything and ran out of time as a result. Those two horrible exam experiences have resulted in me not being able to cope well with exam situations ever since :frown:
Someones phone started ringing in Gcse maths. I remember it so vividly. "Pick me up" it rang and he somehow managed to not get caught, primarily because the invigilators were all in their late 70s and had hearing aids.
Original post by z33
omgosh you trooper!!! wow this happy ending! you sound like you work realllyyy hard for your grades and wow you deserve every good grade that comes your way! wow 5 subjects... and you're ashamed of a C .. in history as well that ****'s hard!

omg i got Bs and Cs at AS and i was proper happy :lol:

Thanks - I know lots of people told me I shouldn't be ashamed of a C, but all the teachers I'd ever had always expected so much from me that I sometimes got very wound up about it. My History/Classics teacher was so lovely and never put any pressure on me, so I felt particularly bad about letting him down.

Still, I enjoyed my degree tremendously and whilst I'm obviously delighted that I got a first, the most important thing is that I had fun doing it and I learned to think more about what I wanted out of my education than what my teachers wanted out of me :smile:
Before I start, this story is 100% true. I may have exaggerated a few areas but this description of events mirrors pretty much exactly how I felt at the time. *deep breath* I was the only one in a small conference room doing an exam last year (M2) and there was only one invigilator present. Didn't know him prior to this so after he stated the prerequisite rules at the beginning of every exam, I started the paper (1 and a half hours) as per normal. As expected, he strut down the small room, past my desk over and over again, observed the content of the spare paper and peering over my shoulder occasionally. At first glance he was a bit odd, as he always twiggled his fingers by his mouth like a rabbit with lettuce... but I ignored it, to begin with.... So far so good. About an hour into my exam he got the hiccups (he was drinking some water I think) and that's when the 'fun' began. Now I'm usually fairly okay with sound distractions in exam halls, people often move their chairs slightly, click their pens, and sometimes even fart or burp accidentally but I usually ignore it and just keep working. I therefore expected no different with these hiccups. How wrong could I be. In short, these were some of the weirdest sounds I've ever heard coming out of a human being. It was literally the combination of a high-pitched laugh and a seal being molested. These noises went on for, I'm not even kidding, 9 minutes. 9 ****ing minutes. At first I was like 'hey they'll go soon, it happens to all of us', so I concentrated solely on the paper. But they didn't stop, they actually got worse. By the fifth minute (I was stuck on a difficult projectiles question), the hiccups kept coming so I finally looked up at the invigilator with bemusement, he was still twiggling his fingers and staring into space as if fixated on the window ahead. I tried to get his attention by clearing my throat and repeatedly clicking my pen but he was oblivious, either that or he thought I was not seeking his attention. I actually thought this was a joke, this guy was a professional right? how the hell did he get employed? I wasn't even laughing; being stuck on a tough question in total silence was bad enough in an exam let alone hearing these peculiar sounds.Another 2 minutes past and I was still stuck on the same question hearing the same, stupid high-pitched literally sexual squeals. They were diminishing but they were actually getting worse as they were now less frequent; before it was one every 10 seconds, now it was one every 15-20 seconds. I was sweating with both frustration from the paper and from this weirdo sitting 8 metres from me. I finally cracked at the ninth minute mark and said, without even sticking my hand up: 'can you please drink some water backwards?!' He stopped staring into space, put on his glasses (he was quite old) looked in my direction and said 'may I ask why?'. I told him that it would get rid of his hiccups, having assumed he already knew. He then said with a bit of a chuckle; 'oh I'm sorry, were bothering you? If so why didn't you say so earlier?' *deeeep sigh* I was fuming; both his stupidity and fat grinning face pissed me off so much that I was actually dripping sweat from my hair. If this guy was deliberately winding me up he was doing a bloody amazing job. Even his voice irritated me. I don't know how I did but somehow I kept my cool with a deep breath and said 'yes it was somewhat distracting', deliberately sarcastic yet he barely noticed. He drank backwards and hey presto it worked; the last 20 minutes were a normal exam room again. At the end after being told I could leave, I literally sped-walk/jogged out. Don't think I've ever left a room as quickly in my life. I didn't go consult my friends who had sat the paper earlier (clashed with my d1) but instead went straight to my maths teacher. He asked me how it was and I told him the complete truth and as expected, he started laughing. I wasn't; if I ****ed up that paper I would have honestly brought this up in my complaint to edexcel on results day. I even asked some of my other teachers if they had played a prank on me with setting me up with such a crap invigilator. They all laughed and said no. I then temporarily forgot about it and saw my friends.Luckily I did alright in M2 so all ended well, but this single-handedly remains the most annoying exam experience I've ever had. I certainly only hope history doesn't repeat itself this summer :laugh:
Reply 39
Original post by Plumstone
Thanks - I know lots of people told me I shouldn't be ashamed of a C, but all the teachers I'd ever had always expected so much from me that I sometimes got very wound up about it. My History/Classics teacher was so lovely and never put any pressure on me, so I felt particularly bad about letting him down.

Still, I enjoyed my degree tremendously and whilst I'm obviously delighted that I got a first, the most important thing is that I had fun doing it and I learned to think more about what I wanted out of my education than what my teachers wanted out of me :smile:

Awh that's so cute that you took your teachers into account as well. That was me in GCSE RS when I got a B and I felt so bad because our teacher was so good and I felt like I let her down but it's okay I guess. I know GCSEs aren't A-levels lol but still same kinda concept.

And awh I'm glad there's a happy ending and a lesson learned from this and you're clearly down to Earth and know what you're doing and you're a good thinker :smile: I'm happy it all worked out and I hope it does for me too! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest