The Student Room Group

Has anyone used a whiteboard for studying... Or something else?

Im considering buying an A3 one, to help with my maths course..writing out equations, diagrams for solving homework

Also I could use it for brainstorming to work something out

Have you tried it? Would you advise me to get one?
Original post by number23

Not used one myself, but if I was going to get one I'd go for something larger than A3.
Trying to write clearly with a marker pen takes a lot more space than a pen/pencil would.

PS: You'd be better asking in the maths subforum.
Reply 2
During GCSE Maths (so advanced, I know) I always used a whiteboard to help with working out, quite a useful tool. I'd recommend it :smile:
yeah, i use one during exam period, saves paper
Im considering buying an A3 one, to help with my maths course..writing out equations, diagrams for solving homework

I generally use a whiteboard to avoid any of the scribbling and ****, so I would advise it. But I wouldn't get a big whiteboard, like a have a small a4 one which I can take around so it isn't that bad. You could also just laminate a plain sheet of paper and use that....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ravioliyears
I generally use a whiteboard to avoid any of the scribbling and ****, so I would advise it. But I wouldn't get a big whiteboard, like a have a small a4 one which I can take around so it isn't that bad. You could also just laminate a plain sheet of paper and use that....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats an awesome idea about the laminator, thanks!!
I often used to have an A2-sized whiteboard on my lap and do maths on it. I actually dearly miss it!

I have a quite big whiteboard (180cm*120cm) but I think that's mostly good for when you want to explain something to a friend (which enhances your own understanding also).
Thats an awesome idea about the laminator, thanks!!

No problemo :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
hey, where do you get these big whiteboards from please??
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
I have a quite big whiteboard (180cm*120cm) but I think that's mostly good for when you want to explain something to a friend (which enhances your own understanding also).
You don't need an actual whiteboard. Get one of these: http://www.magicwhiteboard.co.uk/category/magic-whiteboard/

I'd definitely recommend it for maths.
Yes, I have a whiteboard on my bedroom wall and I mainly use it for Maths revision or when I need to memorise key definitions in Bio/Chem then I'll write them out and leave them on there until I've done it, also for writing out tasks which I need to complete etc and I find it really helps tbh. I'd recommend that you get one if you're already considering it, it's worth it. :yep:
I used whiteboards in work and it was so much better than scribbling on buts of paper!

Go for the cheap option with laminated paper. I'm stealing this idea 😃
Original post by lozzie-xx
hey, where do you get these big whiteboards from please??

I got it from ebay :smile:
Reply 14

I have a big one on my wall and it's amazingly useful. Cost less than £25 on eBay.:groovy:
Do you have a tablet? You could do this on a tablet.....
Reply 16
After realising how useful it would be for maths, I went ahead and bought a 90cm x 60cm one from euroffice. It's incredibly useful when working with proofs. I used to use paper and focused more on the presentation causing the whole process to be slow and me forgetting what I wanted to prove in the first place.. With a whiteboard, it's much more fluid and a lot quicker; plus it looks cool so yeah, very useful. Wouldn't recommend A3 though, the bigger the better.
More cons than pros if u ax me since I have a large class room sized one and rarely use it; every time I just end up doodling tbh

Its easier, quicker and smoother to write on imo for some reason, can help clear thoughts more simply with brainstorms, spider diagrams and so on.

However, you cannot keep notes with you as much, not as portable unless u get small ones, have to buy pens more often cuz they tend to run out quicker than normal pens, accidentally rub out work due to ur clumsiness or over time if u have annoying siblings, for the more academic subjects tan creative or expressive ones and many other things that I dnt have the time to list

But what might not work for me might work for you so gather more opinions
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest