The Student Room Group

Is the NHS really the best healthcare system in the world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoshDawg
There will be better care provided in some private healthcare systems, but the fact that the NHS is for everyone and is FREE, it IS the best and our nurses and doctors should be taken care of more.

Best in perhaps the metaphorical sense but if you're using these criteria, you could probably find a country in Europe that does all that as well as making sure doctors and nurses aren't overworked and are compensated appropriately, which would make whichever that country is the best. :wink:

While it could be argued that all the continental European countries that use a compulsory insurance model aren't technically free for everyone, neither is the NHS. It's free at the point of use, but the staff aren't working for nothing, you know. :lol: What I'm trying to say is that, while you may feel it's metaphorically the best given its noble principles, in practice you could probably find another healthcare system that matches all that stuff and probably does one or two things better than the NHS.
Reply 21
Historically, yes..

Currently, and with the direction its being forced to go.. it's very debatable.
Original post by Aj12

Do you have a source? The last WHO ranking I saw was from 2000,fairly useless for comparison today.

Youre right, the uk was 18th in 2000. However, the more recent european consumer index (2015) put britain at 15th.

I would put i link, but i cant while on my phone.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Youre right, the uk was 18th in 2000. However, the more recent european consumer index (2015) put britain at 15th.

I would put i link, but i cant while on my phone.

http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian-health-care-information/world-health-organizations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/

Edit:nm not 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Best in perhaps the metaphorical sense but if you're using these criteria, you could probably find a country in Europe that does all that as well as making sure doctors and nurses aren't overworked and are compensated appropriately, which would make whichever that country is the best. :wink:

While it could be argued that all the continental European countries that use a compulsory insurance model aren't technically free for everyone, neither is the NHS. It's free at the point of use, but the staff aren't working for nothing, you know. :lol: What I'm trying to say is that, while you may feel it's metaphorically the best given its noble principles, in practice you could probably find another healthcare system that matches all that stuff and probably does one or two things better than the NHS.

The fact that my taxes allow me to walk into a hospital with a broken leg and come out with a cast on and I don't have to bring my wallet or expect a large bill, it's pretty darn good.
"The only serious black mark against the NHS was its poor record on keeping people alive."

Well, apart from that...
Original post by RiotGirll
A lot of NHS workers my mum knows say it is

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/17/nhs-health

I'm not sure though?

It's one of the best not the best

/thread there isn't anything else to be said

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by paul514
It's one of the best not the best

/thread there isn't anything else to be said

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone else in this thread has done a good job of saying something. :colonhash:
Reply 28
Original post by shawn_o1
According to the news, it's understaffed, over budget, workers always under pressure to meet targets that they fail to meet targets etc etc

It also seems to have a lot of bureaucracy/red tape (whistleblowers often get hounded of their jobs etc.)

Aj12
This is the biggest problem with debates over healthcare in the UK. It seems to go we either have the NHS or some American dystopia hell hole where hospitals will turf out those without money or insurance to die in the streets. We need a more nuanced debate looking at how comparable countries like France, Germany or the Scandinavian nations do healthcare.

Agreed they're two extremes.

Joinedup
People who've used both tell me Germany has a better system... which is based on compulsory insurance.

The NHS is embarrassingly bad in several areas, early detection of cancer is poor here, also remember that Ashya King story? why are British people having to go to Prague for proton beam therapy?

I agree.

I support the NHS but it seems extremely self serving sometimes. How many times has someone complained to it successfully for instance?

silverbolt
But i agree there has to be alternative from total privatisation and keeping it as its going as it is (which is ultimately unsustainable)

I agree. Ironically every time people do try to make cuts to prevent overspending etc. "no privatisation" is trotted out,
Reply 29
Original post by Observatory
"The only serious black mark against the NHS was its poor record on keeping people alive."

Well, apart from that...

Yeah, "the authors say that" this is partly down to social/economic factors but not solely.
Reply 30
Original post by Hydeman

Agreed.

I think "free at the point of use" has made it a sacred cow to most British people. However a lot of blunders etc. that would lead to sackings in private companies get overlooked in the NHS because of its nature.
Reply 31
There will be better care provided in some private healthcare systems, but the fact that the NHS is for everyone and is FREE, it IS the best and our nurses and doctors should be taken care of more.

It does have its issues though, I have a relative who is a nurse and the biggest struggles the NHS has is bad management, and red tape everywhere that makes simple tasks difficult.

I wouldn't say that necessarily makes it the "best" though, it's free at the point of delivery but then we pay for it through our taxes. A system where people couldn't afford healthcare got it covered (like with JSA and dentists' appointments) would be good.

I agree. I haven't had many health problems but relatives had so I've spent a lot of my life in hospitals. It's not just the management too though. Sometimes (without ragging on doctors/nurses) you get the odd doctor or nurse who treats patients badly and then they get away with it completely because the NHS can be pretty self serving even when people complain. Especially in departments where patients are less "trusted" like MH.
Original post by RiotGirll
Everyone else in this thread has done a good job of saying something. :colonhash:

Nothing useful as my comment really is the only thing you can say.

Could it be better ? Yes.

Could it be worse? Yes.

Would it be better if we spent more like the small amount of countries that are better? Yes.

One of the best, not the best. End of story nothing else to be said

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by paul514
Nothing useful as my comment really is the only thing you can say.

Could it be better ? Yes.

Could it be worse? Yes.

Would it be better if we spent more like the small amount of countries that are better? Yes.

One of the best, not the best. End of story nothing else to be said

Well, if you have nothing else to say. Bye then lol, the rest of us will continue :rofl:
the NHS is truly amazing. people who have ruined their health by their deliberate lifestyle choices are given top notch care for nothing. then they can claim millions of £ if the overworked staff slip up. it is like the lottery but everyone is a winner.
Reply 35
Original post by Rakas21
The simple answer is no.

There are a number of European states which have better health outcomes and lower mortality rates. While the NHS is very cost efficient we still have a lot of waste and when you factor in unfunded liabilities I'd wager that the Europeans would beat us too.

Unfortunately the left in the UK seem blind to anything but a pure government funded NHS or American insurance when the evidence seems to suggest that Blair's internal market improved the NHS and that social insurance of the type we have in Europe is superior.

Which European states were you thinking of?
@teenhorrorstory why the French?
(edited 8 years ago)
France, Germany and the Netherlands are all highly rated.

Yeah. Personally I'd like to see a much leaner and focused NHS. Make working people take out outpatient insurance for the small stuff and have a complete review of NHS services so that we no longer waste resources providing transgender surgeries and hymen replacements.
The fact that my taxes allow me to walk into a hospital with a broken leg and come out with a cast on and I don't have to bring my wallet or expect a large bill, it's pretty darn good.

That's a fairly emotional argument though -- it's just a convenience not to have to bring proof of insurance (which I doubt would be required in countries with compulsory insurance for all), not exactly a decisive perk over other healthcare systems. As for not expecting a large bill, again, that's not exactly peculiar to the NHS.
Original post by Rakas21
France, Germany and the Netherlands are all highly rated.

I can't speak for France or Germany but I'm reliably informed by a Dutch friend who has fibromyalgia that the healthcare provision there isn't all that good, especially for chronic conditions like hers.

Yeah. Personally I'd like to see a much leaner and focused NHS. Make working people take out outpatient insurance for the small stuff and have a complete review of NHS services so that we no longer waste resources providing transgender surgeries and hymen replacements.

Does the NHS really do any of that? :/ The only instances in which I've heard the NHS provides cosmetic treatment is if somebody is unhappy with some part of their body to the point of depression.
(edited 8 years ago)
lol it depends. It's good because it's free.

But you can pay somewhere else and get better treatment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending