The Student Room Group

Car shakes violently at first gear.

When I floor the gas pedal at D, the car shakes violently with gears grinding, If I am gentle on the pedal it does shift normally. It shifts normally from second gear onwards.
The car is 2006 nissan Altima 3.5 with 5 speed automatic transmission.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried turning it on and off again?
Original post by Eux
Have you tried turning it on and off again?

Nope, I will, but it does all the time. I think the transmission bushing has gone bad :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Your clutch control is most likely awful if your car is shaking violently.
Original post by Azhar Rana
Nope, I will, but it does all the time. I think the transmission bushing has gone bad :s-smilie:

Go see a mechanic?
Original post by snowman77

It's an automatic.
Do you use Asda fuel? It'l ruin your car.
Original post by snowman77

Its an automatic :laugh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Eux
Go see a mechanic?

I will :smile:
Original post by ChickenMadness
Do you use Asda fuel? It'l ruin your car.

LOL, sounds kinda funky. what's asda?
(edited 8 years ago)
Use 2nd Gear?
Original post by Lanky Longjohns
Use 2nd Gear?

Ok, but its an auto, it will select 1st by default then second and stay on that :s-smilie:.
(edited 8 years ago)
LOL, sounds kinda funky. what's asda?

lol it's a supermarket that also does petrol. It's really low quality and has crappy miles per gallon. It looks cheap but it ends up being more expensive because you buy more of it + it's just bad for your car in the first place and makes it stall and misfire. But ye if you don't know what Asda is probably not the problem.
lol it's a supermarket that also does petrol. It's really low quality and has crappy miles per gallon. It looks cheap but it ends up being more expensive because you buy more of it + it's just bad for your car in the first place and makes it stall and misfire. But ye if you don't know what Asda is probably not the problem.

I live in UAE, so most probably it's in the uk :tongue: :smile:
Hate to say it but provided you have a conventional old style auto(theres about 50 different types nowadays that have popped up in the past 5-10years), it sounds like a gubbed torque converter. Meaning a gearbox out job and most likely a new/refurbed/rebuilt unit. The price depends a lot on the car but with UK rates your looking at £500-£1500all in.

Fear not though it could be any number of things which are likely far cheaper
1. As others pointed out, dodgy or contaminated fuel, a mechanic could quickly and easly confirm this
2. Dodgy fuel injection, again easy to check, although this would be felt in all gears just more prodominantly in 1st
3. Gearbox fluid low/contaminated. Have this changed first. It may resolve the issue although possibly only temporarily if damage has already been done

This is.... almost entirely incorrect but im way to tired to explain why. Tldr for 90+% of cars running on uk roads your shellbpesso vpowervmaxpremium fuel will make nowt difference to how they run, only cars designed to a very close manufacturing tolerance will recieve any difference I.e high performance cars, this is to do with RON values which I cba explaining. The only very small difference only really for older (carberatted) vehicles is some of the fancy fuels use detergents which will clean **** out of your carbs and to a lesser extent injectors. Also the lower ethanol content helps pre 1970s cars still running easly corroded fuel seals). Also premium diesel makes 0, read ZERO difference to your engine performance. Its literally the same **** with a different label and a 25ppl higher pricetag. If your car is stalling and missfiring its because of contaminants in your tank which most likely have nothing to do with whatever pump you used. There is a sea of red tape and regulation to fuel dispensing if there were contaminants in there pumps we'd know about it.

Tldr: unless you have a fuel card or more money than sense just put the cheapest stuff you can find in.
Original post by CAElite
Hate to say it but provided you have a conventional old style auto(theres about 50 different types nowadays that have popped up in the past 5-10years), it sounds like a gubbed torque converter. Meaning a gearbox out job and most likely a new/refurbed/rebuilt unit. The price depends a lot on the car but with UK rates your looking at £500-£1500all in.

Fear not though it could be any number of things which are likely far cheaper
1. As others pointed out, dodgy or contaminated fuel, a mechanic could quickly and easly confirm this
2. Dodgy fuel injection, again easy to check, although this would be felt in all gears just more prodominantly in 1st
3. Gearbox fluid low/contaminated. Have this changed first. It may resolve the issue although possibly only temporarily if damage has already been done

I went Nissan-Infinity service center, they said that shake was caused due to a Failed electronic motor mounts. I am gonna get them replaced tomorrow. Lets see if it works. I checked in online forums, Its was due to a badly desinged motor mounts with a strong VQ35DE engine( also found in nissan 350Zs). It will break them again every 20-30k miles :angry:
I am gonna get rid of it and get a Toyota Camry or a Mazda 6:redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Huh. Normally bad motor mounts cause harsh vibrations in every gear under acceleration. Although to be honest I have absolutely zero clue what an "electric motor mount" actually entails, sounds like fancy garbage xD.
Original post by CAElite
Huh. Normally bad motor mounts cause harsh vibrations in every gear under acceleration. Although to be honest I have absolutely zero clue what an "electric motor mount" actually entails, sounds like fancy garbage xD.

Ops I meant Electronic motor mounts. Its actually controlled by the ECU (Electronic control Unit) Either ECU goes bad or the Motor mounts.
Using electronic Motor mounts is absolutely ridiculous. Electronics fail all the time :angry:, Engines components should be made to last :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Electronics fail all the time :angry:, Engines components should be made to last :redface:

Amen. Modern cars are getting silly.

Quick Reply