The Student Room Group

Sex after marriage?? Struggling with it :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Plumstone
Nobody with half a brain actually thinks that the Bible is God's universal truth.
Would you be so kind as to wander over in my direction? In the town centre there's two stands of leaflets and magazines with people there stopping passers-by and telling them the bible is the truth, God's word, and to be followed to the letter. They've been there for a few months (I'm hoping the worsening weather will send them scurrying back where they came from).

I've given up trying to reason with them; they don't listen, they just repeat the sales mantra they have been trained to churn out. They also have that out-of-focus look in their eyes that tells you they're off their heads on Jesus' love.
Original post by georgiaswift
It's NOT an important thing. As long as you use protection, enjoy yourself :smile:

The Bible condemns this sort of behaviour. Simply not acceptable.
Original post by Tom Jickleson
The Bible condemns this sort of behaviour. Simply not acceptable.

Well if you don't want to have sex then don't, but don't stop others from living their lives. Each to their own
Well if you don't want to have sex then don't, but don't stop others from living their lives. Each to their own

Just saying though, if you half heartedly follow the rules of your own religion, why even bother with it you know?
Just saying though, if you half heartedly follow the rules of your own religion, why even bother with it you know?

So you don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric? (Leviticus 19:19)
You don't cut your hair or shave? (Leviticus 19:27)
You kill everyone and anyone with a different religion to you? (Deuteronomy 17:2-7)

If you follow these rules, plus the many others, then maybe you have a shot at not being half hearted. But if you've had a haircut or a shave recently, you're straying from the bible's words. Sorry to break it to you
So you don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric? (Leviticus 19:19)
You don't cut your hair or shave? (Leviticus 19:27)
You kill everyone and anyone with a different religion to you? (Deuteronomy 17:2-7)

If you follow these rules, plus the many others, then maybe you have a shot at not being half hearted. But if you've had a haircut or a shave recently, you're straying from the bible's words. Sorry to break it to you

I'm not religious, so none of this applies to me. Though what you've written down just goes to show how people tend to pick and choose the practices the live by when it comes to religion. Christianity these days is just a watered down version of what it used to be.
I'm not religious, so none of this applies to me. Though what you've written down just goes to show how people tend to pick and choose the practices the live by when it comes to religion. Christianity these days is just a watered down version of what it used to be.

Christianity being more watered down nowadays is definitely not a bad thing. In the past, christians were pretty extreme. So yeah, whilst we do pick and chose stuff from the bible, it's definitely for a good reason.
Original post by Anonymous
Christianity being more watered down nowadays is definitely not a bad thing. In the past, christians were pretty extreme. So yeah, whilst we do pick and chose stuff from the bible, it's definitely for a good reason.

Why is it definitely for a good reason?
Why is it definitely for a good reason?

I mean, imagine if christians nowadays actually went around killing those that weren't christians. How is that NOT a good thing?

Ah okay, I didn't realise! But yes, I completely agree. People pick and choose whatever best suits them, or they claim that the bible is open to interpretation, conveniently forgetting that there's a quote forbidding people to interpret the bible. In my opinion, religion is completely unnecessary
I mean, imagine if christians nowadays actually went around killing those that weren't christians. How is that NOT a good thing?

Was God wrong about that one then?
Was God wrong about that one then?

The bible wasn't written by God, remember?

Which is why it's a load of complete and utter tripe.

No, but 2 Peter 1:20 claims that it was written by "men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God". So technically they claim that God told them what to write. However, for all we know they could have been making it all up, essentially making the bible worthless
Which is why it's a load of complete and utter tripe.

I can't argue with that one, to be honest. I've always had doubts about the bible but saying that to another christian is almost as bad as stabbing a person in the middle of a church service :lol:
No, but 2 Peter 1:20 claims that it was written by "men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God". So technically they claim that God told them what to write. However, for all we know they could have been making it all up, essentially making the bible worthless

Yeah, exactly :/ That's the problem with christianity- there's no real way to determine whether the bible is a reliable source of God's word
Yeah, exactly :/ That's the problem with christianity- there's no real way to determine whether the bible is a reliable source of God's word

Exactly. Although the entire concept relies on faith - you are expected to have faith that those who wrote the bible are telling the truth, just as you are expected to have faith that God exists at all, as he will not provide evidence of his existence
I'm a Christian, and the whole "don't believe in using contraception" thing is ridiculous. That's one of many man-made rules. However the no sex before marriage is important to me, especially at this point in time. Most people sleep with lots of people, and to a lot it's just meaningless sex. Waiting until marriage means that you've found someone that you truly love, and that relationship isn't based on "how good the sex is". :u:
Original post by ilovebrownies:D
I'm a Christian, and the whole "don't believe in using contraception" thing is ridiculous. That's one of many man-made rules. However the no sex before marriage is important to me, especially at this point in time. Most people sleep with lots of people, and to a lot it's just meaningless sex. Waiting until marriage means that you've found someone that you truly love, and that relationship isn't based on "how good the sex is". :u:

Fair point, I guess. But say somebody waited until they'd been in a relationship with somebody for at least a year before having sex- wouldn't that prove that the relationship wasn't based on how good the sex was and that both people were fully committed to each other?
Original post by Simes
Would you be so kind as to wander over in my direction? In the town centre there's two stands of leaflets and magazines with people there stopping passers-by and telling them the bible is the truth, God's word, and to be followed to the letter. They've been there for a few months (I'm hoping the worsening weather will send them scurrying back where they came from).

I've given up trying to reason with them; they don't listen, they just repeat the sales mantra they have been trained to churn out. They also have that out-of-focus look in their eyes that tells you they're off their heads on Jesus' love.

I know - it's sad how many people just blindly follow and repeat what they've been told and don't think for themselves. Most of them don't even have half a brain because they've been so indoctrinated that their brains are washed clean :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest