The Student Room Group

Anxious about Oxford!

(edited 6 years ago)
Don't be anxious
Original post by Reaver Daniels
My mother always says that. Any chance for an expansion on this statement? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly mate, I only commented to get my post count up, I'll actually offer you some advice as I feel like a bit of a dick now.

Ultimately, a lot of people this year were disappointed by their year 12 results so you've just got to up your game. A levels are possibly the most stressful things in the world and you have every right to be anxious, however, you've got to get on top of it and take the rough with the smooth. It might seem impossible but put more hours in, get your head down and give it 100%, put as much time and energy into the next year and you'll be able to get into Oxford. They'll understand your situation and they'll understand that you put all the effort you could into your studies and your grades. I'm not saying that it'll be easy, but it's a long way from impossible.
Thank-you ever so much, what you said was actually really inspiring, I appreciate the time you took to say that. I think I'll follow your advice to the letter. Thanks very much, have a lovely evening!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate your thanks, it genuinely means a lot.
The fact you still managed ACCD with such horrible extenuating circumstances is great
I have friends who did worse than that with no reason other than revision technique so you shoul be proud of that
Oxford should definitely give you the same chance as any other applicant but at the end of the day it is still a hard uni to get into
Good look and sorry about your Dad
I'm very sorry for your loss - I knew about your GCSE scores (which are fine) but hadn't clocked on to all the other stuff :console:

The key thing is to make sure your new private school gets ALL the appropriate information from your former school. It's all very good and well you telling them stuff yourself but it's always better to get the two schools talking to each other so that when it comes to writing your reference for Oxford, the new school has all the information and can contextualise your performance and the reasons behind it, and provide evidence if needed.

I don't think you're doomed but of course most of us on here are not admissions tutors. @BrasenoseAdm (hmm tag thing isn't working for me atm - can you try OP?!) is your best port of call on here but if you have a particular college in mind to apply to for HistPol, it may be worth asking their admissions tutor directly (once the current applicant cycle has been dealt with - they are hugely busy atm!) what your chances are. The main thing, as you know, would be the HAT test.

I think it's worth enquiring about and def worth considering applying. Worst that happens is you don't get called to interview. There are many amazing institutes in the UK - we are fortunate, in that respect - so not getting into Oxford would hardly be the end of the world. But I think you would stand chance providing the circumstances are explained through appropriate channels :yes:
My brother pretty much had the same Gcse grades , and he didnt do too well at his A levels , but still got in. I don't know much about Oxford , but he mainly got in because of his interview.
How did he do at his a levels. Thank-you for the response btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Standard offer was A*AB , it was lowered to AAA , he got AAB. Despite , being rejected by admissions tutor. He sent a letter to the principal who he knew and it was overruled. Obviously , this is exceptionally rare , but wanted to give you hope!

He got AAB at A2 ,and AABC at AS
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Standard offer was A*AB , it was lowered to AAA , he got AAB. Despite , being rejected by admissions tutor. He sent a letter to the principal who he knew and it was overruled. Obviously , this is exceptionally rare , but wanted to give you hope!

He got AAB at A2 ,and AABC at AS

When was this the standard offer for any Oxford course? O.o I've heard of people getting in with A*AB but that's only when they've been made an offer, missed it, but get accepted anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
When was this the standard offer for any Oxford course? O.o I've heard of people getting with A*AB but that's only when they've been made an offer, missed it, but get accepted anyway.

Not 100% about the standard offer , but he told me they lowered it twice. Either way , he is one lucky mofo , but he deserves to be there.
Wow, it just goes to show it's who you know! Thank-you very much though, really appreciate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck mate.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Not 100% about the standard offer , but he told me they lowered it twice. Either way , he is one lucky mofo , but he deserves to be there.

That's for sure. :tongue: The standard offer was probably A*AA, I think. Oxford as far as I know, hasn't included any Bs in its standard offers for the last ten years at least.
Hello! Thank-you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply it's very much appreciated. I'm assuming you knew about my GCSEs from the old 'are my grades good enough for Oxford thread'? Yes, my head of House at my new school is the guy that deals with all this and I told him about my troubles last year in the first week and he is going to put it all in my reference, so hopefully the issues will be sorted. The providing evidence shouldn't be too much of a bother if that's needed, as it was all pretty out in the open, besides my dad's illness, which I kept to myself, but that's easily provable as well.

Ok, I'll try and tag, Nope didn't work for me either. I'll definitely email them once the whole hullaballoo of admissions is over this time around.

Yes, the good old HAT, I know how important that is. I know some other people that took an extra year and got in and one of them repeated a year and gave the reason she was nervous before exams in here first year, which is... interesting to say the least. Would the people at under grad admissions on the phone know about my chances? Thank-you ever so much for your help and encouragement!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think we may have even spoken before on that thread. I'm a terrible one for being on TSR all the time :redface:

People at undergrad admissions could give you a bit more information but I don't think they could/would directly comment on your chances.

Glad your new school know and are being proactive!

Sounds like you're a right trooper - keep your head held high :h:
Hello everyone! :smile: So the big dream is to study History and Politics at Oxford, - I know right, another one of these Oxford hopefuls - but I get really anxious about the whole 'getting there part'. For GCSE I achieved 6A*'s 4A's and 4 B's, not sure if that's good, but hey ho.

My dilemma, however, comes with the whole A level scenario. So last year I was doing year 12 at a local college and was predicted AAAB, and pegged as a potential Oxbridge candidate... happy days. In the run up to exams, however, it soon became apparent that my English Course had taught the syllabus wrong, which scuppered the students on the course, myself included. Over the exam period my father also fell terminally ill with cancer, which he'd lived with for the past three years and he passed away about 2 months ago now. Long story short, I didn't hit my grades (I only got ACCD, shocking 😔) due to the above and some other factors affecting my education last year, such as fights in class and other courses finishing only 3 days before the exam leaving virtually no time to revise.

My mother, bless her, despite not being wealthy, drew out all her savings, and with the help of trust funds and close friends, I've been given an opportunity to start over my year at a very good private school.

I'm doing the same subjects as last year and am also taking on the extended project in order to stretch myself academically, and I plan to apply to Oxford at the end of this year under extenuating circumstances.

Taking my circumstances into account, will Oxford be okay about this, do I have a realistic chance still... or are my dreams doomed to grovel in the dust?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One thing that is so fantastic about the Oxbridge application process (despite its scary competitive reputation) is that each applicant is evaluated in context, each is treated as an individual and your circumstances will be taken into account. Being worried will solve nothing! Work hard and that will shine through :smile: good luck.
Stress and uncertainty are part of the process. (Of course, if you get in, you will learn what real stress is.) My advice is to concentrate equally on developing your interest and passion for the subjects.
Original post by Georgiam247
One thing that is so fantastic about the Oxbridge application process (despite its scary competitive reputation) is that each applicant is evaluated in context, each is treated as an individual and your circumstances will be taken into account. Being worried will solve nothing! Work hard and that will shine through :smile: good luck.

THis is certainly our experience. My d applied at Cam and we were astonished at how attuned the whole process was to her as an individual - truly, it lived up to its ideal of filtering people in, not out.
If you can get the grades don't see what the issue is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending