The Student Room Group

Does anyone else hate modern kids?

Like, is it just me or are they worse and worse? Probably a product of our narcissistic society and culture of entitlement, and one-upmanship. But when I was kid, I got it drilled into me to be polite to other people's parents, things like being quiet in a library, not to act everywhere as free as I would at home. Sure I could have fun and japes with my friends, but I was given a sense of context, like when I went to someones house, not treating their parents offhand, offering to take my shoes off etc- now they just seem to be treated like Gods, no boundaries, and it is expected that people are charmed- they become more and more charmless in the process. They are rude as hell. I'm not saying it should be full on 'seen and not heard', but ffs there's no discipline. I wouldn't raise a kid to be spoilt like that, I wouldn't treat them bad but a certain kind of knocking their entitlement and boundaries is really quite important to becoming an adult of any depth and empathy in my opinion. Anyway sorry if it sounds pompous, but that is me two penneth'.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Literally every generation ever has thought this about the following generation.

Congratulations, you're old.

:shakecane:
Well I'm sorry you were born in the wrong generation mate, it's not our fault that we are born in a more forgiving one. Also your views are not in anyway stereotypical...
if you try to beat some sense into them you end up in jail :mad:
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Well I'm sorry you were born in the wrong generation mate, it's not our fault that we are born in a more forgiving one. Also your views are not in anyway stereotypical...

I'm 34 and my parents are pretty old even for that, plus my grandparents were a lot older and I have an older sibling. So that adds to it-I have a link to a bygone world mentally.
Original post by the bear
if you try to beat some sense into them you end up in jail :mad:

The Caribbeans do it en masse still, no stopping them.
I guess the 'old' thing has some weight although,when I think of it- I like the latest technology, use loads of apps, like current music (If I look past just the most commercial output) I don't have a distaste for all trends that evolve, apart from the obvious like climate change. Bad governance etc is cyclical and goes back and forth. So I wouldn't say I'm like this in general, it's just this issue where I noticed it. I'm not nostalgic for my own past, certainly not post childhood, so I'm not a past fetishist at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
"[boys] with dogs at their heels and other evidence of dissolute habits...[girls who] drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, and care for nobody...the morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly." - Anthony Ashley Cooper (1843)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I'm 34 and my parents are pretty old even for that, plus my grandparents were a lot older and I have an older sibling. So that adds to it-I have a link to a bygone world mentally.

That's a decent point but what's funny is that you're 34 and you're still on TSR!
That's a decent point but what's funny is that you're 34 and you're still on TSR!

Well, I been on here years. I studied a long time too. And, what other site is there that offers all the interests in this format, it's the top dog. I don't know if this is relevant but I'm told I look younger, I got ID'd for being 25.

I tend to get on with women older than myself, because of some of the above. Maybe about 5 years older than me for example. Even the ones my own age seemed to be a different generation in a way, what with my sis and parents being so much older and all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by _Sinnie_
"[boys] with dogs at their heels and other evidence of dissolute habits...[girls who] drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, and care for nobody...the morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly." - Anthony Ashley Cooper (1843)

That's cool. Love his style. Only thing that's missing is a reference to 'Vagabonds' or 'Vagrants'.
I don't have a distaste for all trends that evolve, apart from the obvious like climate change.

TIL science is a "trend".
Whilst its true every generation says it its also true that it is getting worse.

As every generation gets more and more spoiled and things like a clip on a ear is removed kids dont get consequences for their actions so do things and get away with it.

When I was at school there was of course undisiciplined kids and spoiled ones but also they didnt always get away with things, now mummy and daddy want to tell every kid how special they are and all superstars and the world is out to get them and the world is at fault not them.

It breeds a generation of kids who just take advantage, they know they can get away with it.
Reply 13
Adults complaining about the younger generation are really just saying their generation did a crappy job raising kids :redface:

Thats very offensive, reminds me of my first year at uni when I was getting dirty looks from someone at union bar and I was polite to them and they said "arent you too old to be in here" I say "i was 25 the other week" "oh thats too old, you should be wearing slippers and a dressing gown and married by the age, not drinking, drinking is for the youth" Lol or when going to freshers being stopped by staff saying "are you a student?" yet not stopping anyone who looked like a teenager.
Original post by ivy.98
Adults complaining about the younger generation are really just saying their generation did a crappy job raising kids :redface:

"My kids are doin drugs!" Guess which generation sells that cocaine
"My kids are too addicted to videogames!" Guess which generation made those videogames (with the intent of getting kids addicted!)
"My kids spend too much time on social networks" Guess which generation made those social networks
Reply 16
Like, is it just me or are they worse and worse? Probably a product of our narcissistic society and culture of entitlement, and one-upmanship. But when I was kid, I got it drilled into me to be polite to other people's parents, things like being quiet in a library, not to act everywhere as free as I would at home. Sure I could have fun and japes with my friends, but I was given a sense of context, like when I went to someones house, not treating their parents offhand, offering to take my shoes off etc- now they just seem to be treated like Gods, no boundaries, and it is expected that people are charmed- they become more and more charmless in the process. They are rude as hell. I'm not saying it should be full on 'seen and not heard', but ffs there's no discipline. I wouldn't raise a kid to be spoilt like that, I wouldn't treat them bad but a certain kind of knocking their entitlement and boundaries is really quite important to becoming an adult of any depth and empathy in my opinion. Anyway sorry if it sounds pompous, but that is me two penneth'.

No. The kids I work with are usually very well behaved.

If a child misbehaves, they get told off. If they continue to misbehave, they get time outs. Standing in a corner for ten minutes is incredibly boring when you're five.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Student403
"My kids are doin drugs!" Guess which generation sells that cocaine
"My kids are too addicted to videogames!" Guess which generation made those videogames (with the intent of getting kids addicted!)
"My kids spend too much time on social networks" Guess which generation made those social networks

PRSOM:biggrin:
That was on point my friend :rofl::rofl:
Original post by ivy.98
PRSOM:biggrin:
That was on point my friend :rofl::rofl:

:h:
Original post by drbluebox
Thats very offensive, reminds me of my first year at uni when I was getting dirty looks from someone at union bar and I was polite to them and they said "arent you too old to be in here" I say "i was 25 the other week" "oh thats too old, you should be wearing slippers and a dressing gown and married by the age, not drinking, drinking is for the youth" Lol or when going to freshers being stopped by staff saying "are you a student?" yet not stopping anyone who looked like a teenager.

Which uni are you at :s-smilie:

I'm thinking of applying, got good A levels but I'd be 23/24 when I started

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending