The Student Room Group

Does anyone else hate modern kids?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by the bear
if you try to beat some sense into them you end up in jail :mad:

Umm, corporal punishment doesn't work. All the evidence shows this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drbluebox
Thats very offensive, reminds me of my first year at uni when I was getting dirty looks from someone at union bar and I was polite to them and they said "arent you too old to be in here" I say "i was 25 the other week" "oh thats too old, you should be wearing slippers and a dressing gown and married by the age, not drinking, drinking is for the youth" Lol or when going to freshers being stopped by staff saying "are you a student?" yet not stopping anyone who looked like a teenager.

What if you look really young for your age and have to get ID'd everytime your want to club or have a drink? Equally frustrating.
Original post by Katty3
Umm, corporal punishment doesn't work. All the evidence shows this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ermm no it doesn't. also any experiments would be illegal nowadays.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Like, is it just me or are they worse and worse? Probably a product of our narcissistic society and culture of entitlement, and one-upmanship. But when I was kid, I got it drilled into me to be polite to other people's parents, things like being quiet in a library, not to act everywhere as free as I would at home. Sure I could have fun and japes with my friends, but I was given a sense of context, like when I went to someones house, not treating their parents offhand, offering to take my shoes off etc- now they just seem to be treated like Gods, no boundaries, and it is expected that people are charmed- they become more and more charmless in the process. They are rude as hell. I'm not saying it should be full on 'seen and not heard', but ffs there's no discipline. I wouldn't raise a kid to be spoilt like that, I wouldn't treat them bad but a certain kind of knocking their entitlement and boundaries is really quite important to becoming an adult of any depth and empathy in my opinion. Anyway sorry if it sounds pompous, but that is me two penneth'.

so you are making sweeping generilisations about an entire generation based on what ? Your own childhood? The kids you happen to meet? The medias portayal of the youth? There have always been badly behaved children and well behaved ones. Spoilt ones and badly treated ones. Maybe it is the company you keep but most of the children and young people I know are well behaved and more importantly have been taught respect. Anecdotal evidence of a few kids you know isn't really a good basis for hating millions of kids is it.

Are you really saying you hate all kids, that they are all as rude as hell, all treated like gods? If you really think kids were all well behaved and respectful in the past then you clearly haven't looked at any social history.

I am not sure if you really speak like this or you were just trying to sound like a Victorian but japes,? two penneth ? I think you have been reading to much Enid Blyton !

PS I really intrigued why did you offer to take peoples shoes? Did you need them for something ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by _Sinnie_
"[boys] with dogs at their heels and other evidence of dissolute habits...[girls who] drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, and care for nobody...the morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly." - Anthony Ashley Cooper (1843)

great find :smile:
if you try to beat some sense into them you end up in jail :mad:
As long as they don't bleed or bruise you're fine!
Original post by watchingyouwatch
so you are making sweeping generilisations about an entire generation based on what ? Your own childhood? The kids you happen to meet? The medias portal of the youth? There have always been badly behaved children and well behaved ones. Spoilt ones and badly treated ones. Maybe it is the company you keep but most of the children and young people I know are well behaved and know and more importantly have been taught respect. Anecdotal evidence of a few kids you know isn't really a good basis for hating millions of kids is it.

Are you really saying you hate all kids, that they are all as rude as hell, all treated like gods? If you really think kids were all well behaved and respectful in the past then you clearly haven't looked at any social history.

I am not sure if you really speak like this or you were just trying to sound like a Victorian but japes,? two penneth ? I think you have been reading to much Enid Blyton !

PS I really intrigued why did you offer to take peoples shoes? Did you need them for something ?
It is this kind of talkback from teenagers which is why OP finds teenagers unpleasant.
Original post by _Sinnie_
"[boys] with dogs at their heels and other evidence of dissolute habits...[girls who] drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, and care for nobody...the morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly." - Anthony Ashley Cooper (1843)

:coma:
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
It is this kind of talkback from teenagers which is why OP finds teenagers unpleasant.

1. who says I am a teenager ?
2. Even if I was are you saying that we have to respect "our elders" even if they are making broad generalisations without any evidence to back it up. Respect has to be earned.
3. Why is disagreeing with someone talkback ?
Original post by Bupdeeboowah

If OP has a problem with people disagreeing with them then I have limited sympathy, to be honest. @watchingyouwatch is completely correct, the OP has made a lot of broad, unfair generalisations that seem to be based more on anecdotes and looking for an excuse to be angry than reality.
Amen. Kids these days are bastards. Oh how I would love to bring back the cane.
ermm no it doesn't. also any experiments would be illegal nowadays.

You don't need to actually hit children to prove it doesn't work. Punishment categorically does not work in changing/reforming behaviour. Prison's are an easy example of this, with a stupidly high recidivism rate. Punishment tends to breed resentment, it labels people as 'bad' people (and labels mould behaviour) and provides the individual with no new skills to learn or motivation to engage.

Punishment works fantastically. If I want you to stop doing something and hit you in the face everytime you do, you will stop doing it very quickly (we're assuming you can't hit me back/go somewhere else/call the Police). But all I've done is make you scared of me or scared of the punishment - I haven't actually changed your attitude to the behaviour or given you a new way to express yourself. The problem is either a) when the punishment is removed, the behaviour returns or b) you express the same thing, but with a different behaviour.
Original post by Plagioclase
If OP has a problem with people disagreeing with them then I have limited sympathy, to be honest. @watchingyouwatch is completely correct, the OP has made a lot of broad, unfair generalisations that seem to be based more on anecdotes and looking for an excuse to be angry than reality.

Err, I haven't even responded yet.
Original post by watchingyouwatch

?

I oft succumb to the temptation to pepper my speech with eccentricites.
Reply 34
Isn't the OPs post almost exactly like the famous quote attributed to Socrates(?) ?
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Amen. Kids these days are bastards. Oh how I would love to bring back the cane.

you sound like an old woman
Original post by The_Internet
you sound like an old woman

You know inside I feel that way too.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Like, is it just me or are they worse and worse? Probably a product of our narcissistic society and culture of entitlement, and one-upmanship. But when I was kid, I got it drilled into me to be polite to other people's parents, things like being quiet in a library, not to act everywhere as free as I would at home. Sure I could have fun and japes with my friends, but I was given a sense of context, like when I went to someones house, not treating their parents offhand, offering to take my shoes off etc- now they just seem to be treated like Gods, no boundaries, and it is expected that people are charmed- they become more and more charmless in the process. They are rude as hell. I'm not saying it should be full on 'seen and not heard', but ffs there's no discipline. I wouldn't raise a kid to be spoilt like that, I wouldn't treat them bad but a certain kind of knocking their entitlement and boundaries is really quite important to becoming an adult of any depth and empathy in my opinion. Anyway sorry if it sounds pompous, but that is me two penneth'.

I'm 31 I feel the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I'm 31 I feel the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like if I raised them with some influences of my Dad, piss taking them a bit, even gentle bullying, pricking their vanity, not letting them be inconsiderate and entitled etc, being polite to kids parents thinking of others, having a social sense, they would be alienated from the other kids growing up.
(edited 8 years ago)
I have had an epiphany :

bullying is completely natural and a fundamental asset to society

it promotes conformity and shames behaviours we deem not acceptable

It happens everywhere, works, schools , even PMQs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending