The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rowan Atkinson.
Charles Darwin
Original post by HistoryStudent1
Churchill for what he did during his time, Thatcher for what she did for the future.

Idiot.

Anyway the answer has to be either James the I right? Or Andy Murray
Original post by JeremyOU
I could only put 16 people on the poll, and I went for fair male/female balance, as well as a historic/newer balance.

I didn't expect so much Churchill :smile:

Why no scientists? Alan Turin >> Churchill
Reply 44
Original post by chocolate hottie
According to one of the most famous historians of the twentieth century in this work...

http://www.amazon.com/English-History-1914-1945-Oxford-England/dp/0198217153

What qualifies you to disagree? A History A Level or something?.
Bad news for everyone who voted.

According to chocolate hottie, unless you are a published author of a historical work your opinion doesn't count.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Idiot.

Anyway the answer has to be either James the I right? Or Andy Murray

Idiot? Would you like to make an argument to go along with that insult, or just make yourself look stupid?
Margaret Thatcher

m'lady
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Sir Isaac Newton

The greatest scientist of all time.
Original post by Plumstone
1) it should be Britons, not Britains.

2) James Bond is fictional, so how can he count?

3) WHERE IS SHAKESPEARE?!?!? Surely in any sane universe he belongs on this list miles and miles ahead of ********** Sam Smith?!?!??!

Lmao great point :lol:
Original post by Paul Dirac
The greatest scientist of all time.

Agreed
Reply 50
Sir Isaac Newton

The most under-appreciated scientist, despite the fact that we all know who he is.
Original post by HistoryStudent1
Idiot? Would you like to make an argument to go along with that insult, or just make yourself look stupid?

Tbh I shouldn't really have to provide an argument for a supposed "History student". I mean have you even studied Thatcher at all? This myth that she was a great PM, never mind a great Brit is laughable.
Ian Botham
Original post by kkboyk
The most under-appreciated scientist, despite the fact that we all know who he is.

Most scientists are under-appreciated by the common-folk
Reply 54
Most scientists are under-appreciated by the common-folk

most scientists are completely unknown, try thinking of more than five of them without using google.
Original post by JeremyOU
most scientists are completely unknown, try thinking of more than five of them without using google.

Albert Einstein, Sir Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, Charles Darwin, Nicolaus Copernicus. Along with about 30 others I can't be bothered to type
And just because they're unknown doesn't mean they've not achieved great things.
Reply 57
And just because they're unknown doesn't mean they've not achieved great things.

so true
Reply 58
Interesting. Everybody on the list is English and yet the question asks who is the greatest Briton. Surely Scotland and Wales have produced a few people that could beat Jeremy Corbyn to the list. LOL!

For the record, I think Churchill is the worst of the lot of them. An absolute disgrace. Here's a man who went to war in defence of Poland, spent the next five years bankrupting the country, and at the end of all that allowed Poland to get taken by Stalin anyway! He was one of the architects of what has now morphed into the undemocratic EU, and was a truly piss-poor peace time PM.

A trumped up little journalist that managed to get thousands killed in Gallipoli in WWI.
Lord Alexion of the Ninth Realm

^ he's a pretty cool guy :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending